Complaint made against me regarding my practice
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Complaint made against me regarding my practice

Hi, I'm new to this page so haven't posted before so I'm sorry if I ramble!

I've come home today from a day out with my mindees to find an Ofsted inspector on my doorstep. She said a complaint had been made against me regarding my home and the way I work. I was so shocked I almost burst into tears! There were a few parts of the complaint;

1) I have rats. I DO NOT have rats, either inside or outside my house
    2) I leave babies to sleep in my car - the only baby I have is my own son and I don't leave him to sleep in the car.
    3) I don't let parents inside my house at pick up, so clearly I'm hiding something like a really unclean house - I have quite a few parents coming and going, those who come in and those who choose not to because they're in a rush/want to go home/can't be bothered to talk to me. I am most certainly not hiding an unclean house!
    4) I let my dog do her business where the kids play. Well I do have a dog and like most dogs doesn't confine her toileting habits to just walks. But if she does do it in the garden I pick it up straight away and then clean the area with the hose. But my garden isn't actually registered for childminding because I have a drop from the patio to garden area and I can't fence it off. So the kids don't play in there anyway!

Anyway she came in and checked the property, asked me lots and lots of questions (some of them trick questions!) Took some photos of my kitchen because I hadn't washed up from lunch and there was some laundry waiting to go in the washing machine. She didn't seem too pleased about that! She's coming back in 2 weeks to have another look round. I'm so humiliated. My husband has a broken leg so the house isn't quite up to my usual standard because I'm left to do everything, but I certainly wouldn't say it was messy or unclean. Just a lived in family home. Also she didn't say what I have to do now. Do I tell my parents? Or wait until her next visit? Also I have no idea who it might be, I have no disgruntled parents (ex or current) it could possibly be a neighbour but I thought I was friends with them all! My head is a total mess and my husband is being no help!

Any words of advice would be greatly received!

Naomi x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ofsted have to respond with a visit when serious safeguarding concerns are raised against a cm.

They will take the investigation responses back to the office and decide whether to take it further - they should have told you a timescale for getting back to you.

it's good that they haven't shut you down pending investigation - that's really positive.

Make a note in your complaints book and wait to see what they say next xx

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you got a childminder co-ordinator you could talk to for advice about Ofsted's visit? Or somebody at your local council?

I would phone Ofsted and talk about why and what's happening next.

Also ask if they're allowed to take photos. Seems a bit strange when they don't at their normal inspection visits.

Must be a worry for you, especially as you're husband has a broken leg.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MrsFletch View Post
    Hi, I'm new to this page so haven't posted before so I'm sorry if I ramble!

I've come home today from a day out with my mindees to find an Ofsted inspector on my doorstep. She said a complaint had been made against me regarding my home and the way I work. I was so shocked I almost burst into tears! There were a few parts of the complaint;

1) I have rats. I DO NOT have rats, either inside or outside my house
    2) I leave babies to sleep in my car - the only baby I have is my own son and I don't leave him to sleep in the car.
    3) I don't let parents inside my house at pick up, so clearly I'm hiding something like a really unclean house - I have quite a few parents coming and going, those who come in and those who choose not to because they're in a rush/want to go home/can't be bothered to talk to me. I am most certainly not hiding an unclean house!
    4) I let my dog do her business where the kids play. Well I do have a dog and like most dogs doesn't confine her toileting habits to just walks. But if she does do it in the garden I pick it up straight away and then clean the area with the hose. But my garden isn't actually registered for childminding because I have a drop from the patio to garden area and I can't fence it off. So the kids don't play in there anyway!

Anyway she came in and checked the property, asked me lots and lots of questions (some of them trick questions!) Took some photos of my kitchen because I hadn't washed up from lunch and there was some laundry waiting to go in the washing machine. She didn't seem too pleased about that! She's coming back in 2 weeks to have another look round. I'm so humiliated. My husband has a broken leg so the house isn't quite up to my usual standard because I'm left to do everything, but I certainly wouldn't say it was messy or unclean. Just a lived in family home. Also she didn't say what I have to do now. Do I tell my parents? Or wait until her next visit? Also I have no idea who it might be, I have no disgruntled parents (ex or current) it could possibly be a neighbour but I thought I was friends with them all! My head is a total mess and my husband is being no help!

Any words of advice would be greatly received!

Naomi x
    You must be worried and we feel for you....try to stay calm and act positively.
    Ofsted indeed need to investigate and because this is a complaint that is to do with Safeguarding they need to act in this way and arrive unannounced.

If you belong to Pacey, PLA or any other association...please call them and get support
    Your LA will have the Safeguarding team on duty all the time..24/7.....think about contacting them for support and advice as well
    Also look up the Ofsted guidance so you can be sure how they follow complaints and what happens next.

Keep a very detailed account of what is happening in your Safeguarding part of your Portfolio...keep it secure

get support because this can very stressful until resolved....your husband is properly just as shocked as you are.

Keep us posted.

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this, just want to send you hugs. We are all here for you and on your side, look after your self. xxx

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

i feel for you, its the horriblest feeling, esp to not know who it is-at least with mine i knew who it was even though they didn't tell me. I don't like the fact she took photos, unusual, esp as it would probably have been obvious fairly quickly that there wasn't grounds for a complaint. But I suppose they can't ignore complaints, however mean it seems. I expect now she has gone you have thought of lots of things you wish you had said etc. it will play on your mind but you will let it go after a while.
    I am not sure how you find out who it was, that would drive me mad. Maybe it will become obvious in time.
    good luck and try not to let it spoil your summer.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I had concerns raised by a parent out of the blue, she was happy and never said anything to me about not being happy about anything we did - but then took child out of my care for 2 weeks saying it was a family issue - and that she would be back after - but then didn't turn up after the 2 weeks so I made contact and then was told she didn't like certain things (apparently I didn't change nappies properly or recorded accidents in a book! so what is my accident book on the shelf then! and I have been caring for children since I was 16 - now 37 so think I know about nappies!) - and the same day I got a letter from Ofsted saying a 'concern' had been raised. My letter just said we are letting you know in case you need to do anything to put this right - and that it would be discussed at my next routine inspection - so nobody came out to see me. That upset me a lot and really knocked my confidence. So I cannot imagine what you are going through.

Use this opportunity to make sure everything is up to date and change anything you felt the inspector was concentrating on during their visit = i.e. kitchen - and make sure your policies and risk assessments if you have them state that your garden (used by the dog) is not also used by the children etc.

hope you're ok it's a horrible feeling.