COC during Ofsted Inspection??
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Post COC during Ofsted Inspection??

Hi guys, I'd like to hear if childminders have had continuity of care during an Ofsted inspection and whether they were okay with it? I have been okayed by our L.A, risk assessment in place and permission from parents..... I am just curious if it happened would Ofsted still pass us. I have heard stories of childminders being failed due to being over numbers but still within the 6 under 8....

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I did only have 3 during my inspection but was able to show the inspector letters I had written to parents and got them to sign to say they were happy that for a specified time scale that I could have 4 children (due to sibling baby, parent needing extra days etc), she was happy with that. In the letters to parents I mentioned how I had risk assessed and had enough equipment / buggies / highchairs / travel cots / car seats etc - so it sounds as if you have covered everything - I would also print off previous posts from here where people have asked for clarification from Ofsted.

3. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There are 2 different things Ofsted consider when commenting on variations -

1. is the cm within the rules of the Eyfs? The rules have been recently re-clarified - Frequently Asked Questions

2. is the cm managing the variation well? Are all children's needs being met when there are more than 3 under 5s? are the children engaged and busy? Is the cm using space / resources / teaching opportunities well? etc...

In many cases the cm is keeping to the rules but the inspector does not consider s/he is giving each child enough attention...

You need to be confident in your ability to support learning and deliver both high quality teaching and care. Hth

July 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for info, I just wanted to hear of real situations of coc during inspections as I have read about it happening in the past with childminders being downgraded when all seemed okay....

Simona Guest

Let's try to clarify this issue again

EYFS 2012 says Cms ratio is 6 under the age of 8...that must never be breached!
    CMs can look after more that 3 children under 5 for various reasons...continuity of care is just one

Ofsted have always looked out for 'all children's needs' to be met and this is what they look for at inspection.
    This is very likely the reason cms have been downgraded...NOT the fact they may have had 4 under 5

Recently Ofsted's Gill Jones has published a statement about ratios and the constant confusion this is causing by those who give the wrong advice
    At the recent London OBC, which I attended and therefore heard first hand, Ofsted were questioned again on cms ratios...I did ask about 'continuity of care and new business'
    The Ofsted panel agreed with the statement: no more than 6 children and meeting children's needs is paramount...so nothing new since EYFS 2012!

This statement by Gill Jones was released at the recent Pacey conference...please copy it and keep it in your EYFS copy in case you need to refer to at inspection...if you hear otherwise call Ofsted and tell them as Gill Jones herself suggests...or maybe you can attend one of the OBC meetings as they are in all areas and put the question to Ofsted .

Gill Jones states:

''Following on from PACEY’s spring conference, where the issue of child ratios for childminders was raised, Ofsted has helped clarify the issue and has shared the following guidance, which has also been given to their inspectors and helpline staff:

The EYFS provides the standard ratios but also recognises circumstances where these ratios can change so that the needs of children and their families are met. Paragraphs 3.30 and 3.42 advise that: ‘exceptionally, and where the quality of care and safety and security of children is maintained, exceptions to the ratios may be made’. For example exceptions can be made when childminders are caring for sibling babies or when caring for their own baby. There may also be other adjustments to the ratios, for example where children need continuity of care.

Inspectors must ensure that the quality of care is not compromised by a childminder caring for more children and that they meet the needs of all the children in their care. Exceeding the ratio is not a breach in itself unless the childminder is failing to meet the needs of all children.

The Department for Education (DfE) has published some frequently asked questions (FAQs) which provide further guidance.

If you receive information that is different to the above guidance, Ofsted has advised that you take the name of the person, the date and time of the call and report it to them to investigate further''

I know that cms do not listen to what I have been reporting for a very long time on this subject...and that I understand...but ratios is too important to continue to be misled on...hope every cm who is not sure will get it clarified for their own sake!
    Last edited by Simona; 04-07-2015 at 07:54 AM.