Husband as emergency assitant
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Husband as emergency assitant

Hi I was thinking of registering my husband as an assistant so he can help out now and again will he still need to do all courses? Also will Ofsted accept his dB's from when. I registered two years ago or will I need to reapply for it.

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You say 'emergency'- do you mean to:

1] To step-in in a real emergency (like someone being taken off in ambulance, house burning down etc)?
    If so, you do not need to name anyone for that or have them DBSed or registered- you could ask a neighbour or friend as it is a life-or-death situation, you do what you need to do at the time, impossible to predict when/where it is might happen so not much you can plan for.

2] If you mean 'help out now and again' as in get involved at home, help with playing with the kids, meal times etc? then no registration needed, he can muck in as long as you are in charge and you are in sight and/or hearing of mindees at all times.

3] If you mean he has sole responsibility for the mindees for up to 2 hours at a time, (so, you leave the building and leave him with them, or he does a school run) then yes- he needs to be registered as your assistant and have paediatric first aid certificate, you are responsible for his safeguarding training. No new DBS should be needed, but best to ask Ofsted as I can not say 100% (I am thinking do they want the update-service on assistants now even if already have DBS... don't know).

I hope what you had in mind is covered by one of those options!??

3. Likes KateA, loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

My hubby is my registered assistant - I didn't have to do another DBS or any courses (unless he'll be left alone with the children then First Aid). I just had to fill out an EY2 form (no references required)

5. Likes KateA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, thank you for help will look into getting him registered

x

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I registered my 17 year old daughter as my assistant so I could be with my middle daughter when she had her baby - my daughter already had enhanced CRB and also first aid as she works as a life guard but she had to do first aid again as needed to be specific pediatric.

It has been handy as other than her stepping in for the last hour of my working day when my other daughter was in labour, it has also meant that I could finish early when going to a concert or even just walk the dogs on a wet day without having to take all the children with me. (She's nearly 20 now and doesn't live at home but I know I could call on to help if she wasn't working).

Definitely worth doing as it would mean you could get a doctors or dentist appointment and not have to take minded children with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funemnx View Post
    My hubby is my registered assistant - I didn't have to do another DBS or any courses (unless he'll be left alone with the children then First Aid). I just had to fill out an EY2 form (no references required)
    How long did it take Ofsted to approve your assistant?