pre registration visit and noisy dog :(
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default pre registration visit and noisy dog :(

hello, any advice would be greatly appreciated. My pre registration visit is booked in for next week but I have a dilemma with my dog.. He's an English bull terrier (immediately puts people off) lovely with people and children but he's so noisy.. When people visit he is kept outside or in his cage ( because he's so happy and eager to say hello) but when hes in his cage he barks because there's someone he wants to fuss. I never leave him (or any dog) alone with nay children anyway - you can never be too careful in my opinion. I am waiting someone to come and seperate the garden so he garden but this won't be until after my pre registration visit. Will he stop me being registered? I have done risk assessments and Wil inform inspector of the plans to the garden.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

K x

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

if he is happy in the cage do you have a shed he could be put in during the visit, could you let him say hello to inspector and then shut him in a bedroom, do you have a kong you could fill with treats and give to him to occupy him while inspector is there if he hasn't used one it will take him a while to get treats out you could put his morning food in it freeze it and give it to him. Pay a dog walker to take him out for an hour don't know how long the inspection will take so may not be viable.

3. Likes JCrakers liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Good idea getting a friend to walk him or have him for the morning? Then you can show the inspector round in peace, telling her/him that you do have a dog, you have/will RA and what your plans are in regards to where he will be whilst you work etc.

You also need to think what you are going to do though when you show potential clients round. It could easily put them off if he is over excitable or barking loudly in a cage. You may need some strong RA's to put their minds at ease on how you handle him
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It may well be that your dog soon gets used to visitors coming and going throughout the day (providing that he doesn't put people off signing up initially), I swear my dogs can count as as soon as the last grandmother arrives to collect the last mindee my dogs start whining, rolling around the kitchen floor and showing off saying "our turn now, walkies"!

I just unlatch my front door at the time I am expecting the parents or ask them to knock gently on the inside porch door as the door bell makes my dogs bark which can frighten the children.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leopardgirlx View Post
    hello, any advice would be greatly appreciated. My pre registration visit is booked in for next week but I have a dilemma with my dog.. He's an English bull terrier (immediately puts people off) lovely with people and children but he's so noisy.. When people visit he is kept outside or in his cage ( because he's so happy and eager to say hello) but when hes in his cage he barks because there's someone he wants to fuss. I never leave him (or any dog) alone with nay children anyway - you can never be too careful in my opinion. I am waiting someone to come and seperate the garden so he garden but this won't be until after my pre registration visit. Will he stop me being registered? I have done risk assessments and Wil inform inspector of the plans to the garden.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

K x
    I'm not a 'dog person' so I'm not sure how long it takes a barking dog to become a non-barking dog. I do know that sort of dog doesn't necessarily put people off. A CM friend of mine has a Staffordshire bull terrier and she has no more problems attracting clients than she had attracting an 'Outstanding' grade from Ofsted.

To be blunt, if a dog stops you being registered then that's maybe how it should be, but I see no reason why it ought to stop your registration.

OTOH, trying to deceive Ofsted and pretend there is no dog could have far worse repercussions. My CM friend with the Staffordshire face-ripper was 100% up front with her inspectors (at pre-reg and post-reg inspections) and has never had a problem. Not the same with the local nursery who kept a dog in the yard except during inspection and got a 'good' grade as a result. Trouble is, someone got sick of the barking, 'phoned Ofsted and because Ofsted had no record of a dog being present, they were treated to an unannounced inspection. They were immediately downgraded and given several 'actions' because they'd attempted to deceive Ofsted and were still trying to make inconsistent excuses when inspected. Because they'd tried to pretend there was no dog, they obviously had no risk assessment, no parental consent, no allergy information, etc, etc. in place either.

If you try to be anything but honest with Ofsted, you may well get away with it, but it may well be something that comes back to haunt you, and you'll always have the threat of that hanging over you.