Preparing for Ofsted registration visit
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Preparing for Ofsted registration visit

Hi all, I'm new to this site and new to childminding feeling in a complete whirlwind on what to do and expect. Any help or advice will be truly grateful.
    I've just literally completed my home based childminding course (the new cypop 5 equivalent)
    I've applied for DBS check and have took my health declaration to the doctor.
    So what now?
    I need to complete my Ofsted registration forms but I'm terrified!! What can I expect when they come? What will they be looking for? Do I need stair gates even though there is a closed door between the area occupied and the stairs? What will they observe if I don't currently care for anyone? How much notice do I get that they are coming?? Questions questions please help!!

2. Likes bshovelton liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

What can I expect when they come?
    They will ask you the questions in the Pre-Reg booklet:
    Ofsted Pre-Registration
    Focus is safeguarding knowledge (have you done a course? signs of neglect/abuse? what you would do if you had a concern? etc) and knowledge of EYFS (7 areas of learning, what suitable activities would you do with a baby/toddler etc). It is not a memory test though so you can refer to your notes. But they may literally ask each question in that booklet so really important that you prepare your answers.

What will they be looking for? Do I need stair gates even though there is a closed door between the area occupied and the stairs?

They will have a walk around the house, ask yo about risk assessments, you explain how you will keep children safe in house/garden etc. If you feel no child will be at risk of getting up those stairs when your back is turned/on phone/changing a nappy etc then you might decide you do not need stair gates- it is up to you to risk assess and explain that to inspector, no one else can say you do/do not need them.

What will they observe if I don't currently care for anyone?
    They are not observing you at all. That happens up to 30 months after registration in your first graded inspection.

How much notice do I get that they are coming??
    They will phone to make an appointment at a time that suits you both. Most people want it ASAP so they can get on with it and start earning!

Good luck and keep posting the questions!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You need the dbs - and dbs update - and medical check back before you do EY2 so you have lots of time to get to grips with everything

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I was only asked questions that were on the preparing for your pre reg inspection booklet, had to go into detail but could refer to notes so well worth doing it thoroughly in advance

Non childminder member
    pre registration
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up r.e anything you need help with questions from pre reg booklet

Quote Originally Posted by alibarbar View Post
    Hi all, I'm new to this site and new to childminding feeling in a complete whirlwind on what to do and expect. Any help or advice will be truly grateful.
    I've just literally completed my home based childminding course (the new cypop 5 equivalent)
    I've applied for DBS check and have took my health declaration to the doctor.
    So what now?
    I need to complete my Ofsted registration forms but I'm terrified!! What can I expect when they come? What will they be looking for? Do I need stair gates even though there is a closed door between the area occupied and the stairs? What will they observe if I don't currently care for anyone? How much notice do I get that they are coming?? Questions questions please help!!
    Hi
    ive got my pre reg visit on tuesday, i completed the course last year in june, started the childmionding introduction course and first aid and food hygiene course. i waited for a bit then started filling in ofsted aplication online, then fianlly send my dbs and then ofsted application in october. i then waited for my social services checks to be complete and to me that took a while as from when i paid my invoice end of october then i rang up 6th jan to see how my application was doing and the social checks were still goping thru. then i rang up week after and they told me they then had everything the references and social service checks were complete and they then passed details to the inspectors. i then that weekend got a phone call from an early years inspector to comfirm an date to come to do my pre reg visit. ive done non stop reading on the eyfs and safeguarding. polices and procedures, i am in panic over to panic but i have been told that they help you and you can look to refer to notes it isnt like an exam. you do tho need to read up on eyfs and safeguarding and need to answer. you also dont have to have evertthing in place, i have safety gates but only because i already had them =. ive not put locks on yey as the ones i brought were to small and need get ones that fit so ill just ensure her that i will be going to get some that fit and wont let children in kitchen or will watch them if they are in there. i am teffified but they are here to help if you need me to i have some notes i can email you to help you thru.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bshovelton View Post
    Hi
    ive got my pre reg visit on tuesday, i completed the course last year in june, started the childmionding introduction course and first aid and food hygiene course. i waited for a bit then started filling in ofsted aplication online, then fianlly send my dbs and then ofsted application in october. i then waited for my social services checks to be complete and to me that took a while as from when i paid my invoice end of october then i rang up 6th jan to see how my application was doing and the social checks were still goping thru. then i rang up week after and they told me they then had everything the references and social service checks were complete and they then passed details to the inspectors. i then that weekend got a phone call from an early years inspector to comfirm an date to come to do my pre reg visit. ive done non stop reading on the eyfs and safeguarding. polices and procedures, i am in panic over to panic but i have been told that they help you and you can look to refer to notes it isnt like an exam. you do tho need to read up on eyfs and safeguarding and need to answer. you also dont have to have evertthing in place, i have safety gates but only because i already had them =. ive not put locks on yey as the ones i brought were to small and need get ones that fit so ill just ensure her that i will be going to get some that fit and wont let children in kitchen or will watch them if they are in there. i am teffified but they are here to help if you need me to i have some notes i can email you to help you thru.
    Hi you mentioned having some notes for your pre-reg visit? Would it be possible for me to have a look at them? Mine's very soon and I'm also terrified! So much seems to be riding on it! Thanks x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries