Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Finally - Ofsted are coming!

Well, Mrs O is visiting this week. My immediate reaction was 'finally' as I have been waiting for my first grading - registered in Nov 2013.
    Calmly looked at Obs yesterday to get them up to date, but did family things too.
    Got up early, calmly read inspection proceedure from ofsted, took DH a cup of tea, chatted about activities and jobs I would like him to do....all happy...visitors today, laughed with them about how many ofsted's I had had / had to front as HT , they told me "this will be a doddle compared" tried to agree but words wouldn't come out, jiggly feeling - they left.
    Skyped son, " your not having a melt down this time then" was his comment ( I always appeared calm and collected but at home usually had a major meltdown at some point which my lovely men knew how to support - once I had to have a new tea set or I wouldn't have coped!) I laughed......but inside....
    DH has sorted all my photos into files and put together a great slideshow showing all children and areas of learning ( photo hobby person so this was a relaxing task)

Husband says I should come down and have a sherry, appreciate the lovely fire that is glowing before dinner........
    Uncontrollable hysteric rose up !!!! In my 10 minute meltdown I didn't know what my unique selling point was ( she said she would ask me this at the beginning of inspection- what makes me stand out above other childminders and then confirm it by observing!) why was I doing this when I could just be retired and visiting garden centres? I won't put up any more print in the environment, yes I should, no I won't! Why this week when the wind has battered the garden? I'm not replacing the odd sign that has been blown away, yes I will, no I won't I will just explain....yes I will. I don't know what to highlight in my SeF ( she said she I should highlight my improvements since last inspection before I told her it was my first. I said I could show improvements anyway and she said but you haven't had a grading so how can you ? Ugh because I self evaluate!) I could highlight....but I might waste my time if she's not interested as its my first? I will do it anyway, no, yes, no....yes.

DH " so is this the meltdown that you won't be having because you've done it loads of time and OFSTED have always said you are great then?"
    Drink your sherry, look at the fire, it's calming, we'll go to a garden centre tomorrow if you feel the need ...but you can't have any new crockery and I will bring through some blinis I have made specially .....because I knew this would happen tonight"
    That's why I love him.

2. Likes Ripeberry, mum67, lollipop kid liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

:-) good luck. You will be fine.

I know I will be a jibbering wreck when my inspection finally happens despite saying 'what will be will be' all the time!

4. Likes FloraDora, Daisy1956 liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah bless him, what a lovely family you have. Ofsted are not out to get you, relax if it was good enough last week it's good enough this week!
    It is quite intense having them in your home but just try to relax and after the initial welcome, here's the paper work, thers the kettle help your self speech just carry on as normal as if hey are not there. Yes they will ask you questions but it will be fine you will see

6. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's dreadful what they do to us isn't it? Good luck. I don't suppose you know what day they are coming? x

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    Ah bless him, what a lovely family you have. Ofsted are not out to get you, relax if it was good enough last week it's good enough this week!
    It is quite intense having them in your home but just try to relax and after the initial welcome, here's the paper work, thers the kettle help your self speech just carry on as normal as if hey are not there. Yes they will ask you questions but it will be fine you will see
    Thankyou for giving me positive support - I do think I am a little concerned about it happening in my home! My school experience is 'don't ever really trust ofsted' which doesn't help !
    Thanks again.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    It's dreadful what they do to us isn't it? Good luck. I don't suppose you know what day they are coming? x
    I have a new LO settling tomorrow and she said she will not come ( good sign...) so anytime up to21st she said!

I nearly applied to be an Ofsted inspector instead of doing consultancy.....how could I live with myself if a phone call can bring on such low self esteem!!

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I have a new LO settling tomorrow and she said she will not come ( good sign...) so anytime up to21st she said! I nearly applied to be an Ofsted inspector instead of doing consultancy.....how could I live with myself if a phone call can bring on such low self esteem!!
    Good luck flora, let us know how you get on :-))

12. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

At least the panic is now over and you can concentrate on selling yourself and showing Mrs O how wonderful you are.

You'll be fine, FloraDora. You know your stuff and most importantly why you do what you do with the LOs.

I would definitely highlight the ways you have improved in your SEF. Why not? As you say, you've had plenty of time to self-reflect as you've been waiting so long.

Good luck!

14. Likes Maza, FloraDora liked this post
    Simona Guest

I have a new LO settling tomorrow and she said she will not come ( good sign...) so anytime up to21st she said!

I nearly applied to be an Ofsted inspector instead of doing consultancy.....how could I live with myself if a phone call can bring on such low self esteem!!
    Take a deep breathy and believe in yourself...you know your stuff and you can challenge back as much as you may feel challenged!

I am totally lost as to why...generally...OFSTED has reduced the sector to this state of panic? it was not like that in the past ..Ofsted have made many mistakes and showed that they too are 'accountable and fallible' for how they behave and what they do under the 'we want to improve education' mantra

Look at the media recently and the questions being asked about the inspectorate.... we can all see they are coming under fire...even the Shadow Minister for Education has said that, if in power, his party will reform Ofsted ...and this is coming alongside teachers calling for reforms...if not total abolition!!

16. Likes mum67, lollipop kid, FloraDora liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, Mrs O is visiting this week. My immediate reaction was 'finally' as I have been waiting for my first grading - registered in Nov 2013. Calmly looked at Obs yesterday to get them up to date, but did family things too. Got up early, calmly read inspection proceedure from ofsted, took DH a cup of tea, chatted about activities and jobs I would like him to do....all happy...visitors today, laughed with them about how many ofsted's I had had / had to front as HT , they told me "this will be a doddle compared" tried to agree but words wouldn't come out, jiggly feeling - they left. Skyped son, " your not having a melt down this time then" was his comment ( I always appeared calm and collected but at home usually had a major meltdown at some point which my lovely men knew how to support - once I had to have a new tea set or I wouldn't have coped!) I laughed......but inside.... DH has sorted all my photos into files and put together a great slideshow showing all children and areas of learning ( photo hobby person so this was a relaxing task) Husband says I should come down and have a sherry, appreciate the lovely fire that is glowing before dinner........ Uncontrollable hysteric rose up !!!! In my 10 minute meltdown I didn't know what my unique selling point was ( she said she would ask me this at the beginning of inspection- what makes me stand out above other childminders and then confirm it by observing!) why was I doing this when I could just be retired and visiting garden centres? I won't put up any more print in the environment, yes I should, no I won't! Why this week when the wind has battered the garden? I'm not replacing the odd sign that has been blown away, yes I will, no I won't I will just explain....yes I will. I don't know what to highlight in my SeF ( she said she I should highlight my improvements since last inspection before I told her it was my first. I said I could show improvements anyway and she said but you haven't had a grading so how can you ? Ugh because I self evaluate!) I could highlight....but I might waste my time if she's not interested as its my first? I will do it anyway, no, yes, no....yes. DH " so is this the meltdown that you won't be having because you've done it loads of time and OFSTED have always said you are great then?" Drink your sherry, look at the fire, it's calming, we'll go to a garden centre tomorrow if you feel the need ...but you can't have any new crockery and I will bring through some blinis I have made specially .....because I knew this would happen tonight" That's why I love him.
    Hope you've lived to tell the tale Flora and that you're enjoying a nice glass (bottle!) of wine by now :-) x

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Hope you've lived to tell the tale Flora and that you're enjoying a nice glass (bottle!) of wine by now :-) x
    I only know it's this week or Tues , We'd next ! Wasn't today as I asked not to because I am settling 2 year LO who has never been left before and life is a bit traumatic for her at the moment.

Much prefer the school system of phone call at lunch time, there at 8 next day!

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I only know it's this week or Tues , We'd next ! Wasn't today as I asked not to because I am settling 2 year LO who has never been left before and life is a bit traumatic for her at the moment.

Much prefer the school system of phone call at lunch time, there at 8 next day!
    Hope it's tomorrow so you don't have to wait too long!

20. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck FloraDora I'm sure you'll shine through it all.

Your post reminds me of how I am yes I will, no I won't, I constantly have little arguments with myself lol

22. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Luck Floradora. I really feel for you. The O word reduces me to a quivering wreck, spent most of my last inspection on my knees because my legs were shaking so much, at least I was on the children's level. Most days I feel ready then I have a wobble, wish they would just come and get it over with

24. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mrs O came today.

Children are asleep and I am trying to write diaries - beaming. I am an outstanding childminder! She said the content was confidential but not the grade so I am telling the world........or the best support group I have found in Education anyway! - thankyou everyone, the threads on here make me self reflective and the combined knowledge of everyone has helped me become a better practitioner .

Now back to the mundane diary writing. I will write up my morning as soon as I can.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mrs O came today.

Children are asleep and I am trying to write diaries - beaming. I am an outstanding childminder! She said the content was confidential but not the grade so I am telling the world........or the best support group I have found in Education anyway! - thankyou everyone, the threads on here make me self reflective and the combined knowledge of everyone has helped me become a better practitioner .

Now back to the mundane diary writing. I will write up my morning as soon as I can.
    Well done you
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

27. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations!! That's amazing news. Can't wait to hear more about it when you've finished beaming!

What a wonderful evening you can have tonight! x

29. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mrs O came today. Children are asleep and I am trying to write diaries - beaming. I am an outstanding childminder! She said the content was confidential but not the grade so I am telling the world........or the best support group I have found in Education anyway! - thankyou everyone, the threads on here make me self reflective and the combined knowledge of everyone has helped me become a better practitioner . Now back to the mundane diary writing. I will write up my morning as soon as I can.
    Fantastic, well done!! :-))

31. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic news and pleased that you got such a great result, lived to tell the tale and hopefully will be rethinking your views of Ofsted inspectors. I know that before my inspection last November, I was a quivering wreck everytime I saw a withheld number on the phone but my inspector was just so lovely and put me so much at ease that I just carried on as normal. Hopefully you can pass on some feedback when you have come down to earth - at least you are allowed to tell people the grade, I wasn't supposed to with mine, but fellow childminders could see from my face what grade I had been given.

33. Likes mum67, FloraDora liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well done, FloraDora!!! So happy for you!

35. Likes FloraDora liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast