Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Before and After school and ofsted

hello,

I have been childminding 3 years now - and will be due my inspection early next year (if they do it after three years).
    I have always had young children and pre-school children but now since Sept am just doing before and after school children aged 4 plus.
    My question is....do I need to do observations for these children and what paperwork do I need to do for them? i sign them in and out etc - but do I need planning as they are all here for a brief 45 mins in moro and anything from 20 minutes to 2.5 hrs at night, where we just play games and do crafts or they play outside etc. Do i also need to let ofsted know I am only doing before and after school children?

any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!

Nikki

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I have after schoolers and leave activity stuff out for them if they want to do it. On my wall there is whiteboard (Small one) for their requests/ideas for what they might like to do which isn't already on offer or planned. Now and then sit them together and ask if there's anything you could do to help make their time more enjoyable. Mine tend to like a visit to the park after school which is on the way home and 15 mins in there and they are happy as larry. By the time we are home and had snacks its nearly home time anyway.

Its mostly free flow time as they have had a full day at school and just usually want to chill out on computer, reading or watching tv. Toys are accessible at all times plus arts/crafts stuff and the garden is open to them if they want to go out there with lots of resources which are always available.

A lot on here just keep a little diary for the children to keep and to show parents if requested. Ask the children what they would like to do when with you and write it down, take a few photos and had a little sentence to it. Use it as a little record of their stay with you. You don't have to do a LJ or lots of obs as this will be done at school.

Most people find the same with after schoolers they like free flow than structured play after a busy day at school.
    Before school is just free flow also as not much time between them arriving and leaving and probably still tired anyway.

If you are waiting for your inspection you could ring Ofsted and tell them you only have before/after school and see what they say. It can't do any harm really.

Good luck

Simona Guest

Good suggestions from Mum67

The only thing I would add is to do a simple folder with photos so parents know what the child is up to and ...if you can ...liaise with the school/parents to help with reading and any 'dreaded' homework the child may have such as reading.... although parents need to do this too...time permitting of course as you will be busy with dinners and other children in your care

After a long day at school these young kids need time to chill and play...play...play!!!

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes forgot to add that little bit Simona thanks, yes I spoke to the reception teacher about my mindees and she told me to practice writing their name with them if I could. So yes definately speak to nursery/school and see what they think.

We practice now and then depending on what frame of mind they are in like Simona said.

Also I do what Simona suggested about the photos in folder but I hadn't explained it properly when I said take photos and write little sentences etc.