Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ofsted and room temperature

Hi,
    I have had the dreaded phone call and therefore have my Ofsted inspection very soon lol!

Just going over final details now and just wondered if Ofsted have a set requirement for room temperature. Everything I have found just 'suggests' 21degrees c, or says above 18 and below 24, which when you're talking Ofsted thats far too big of a gap!! I want to know is it set in stone what Ofsted want the room temp to be.

Thanks for your help.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jennyandchris View Post
    Hi,
    I have had the dreaded phone call and therefore have my Ofsted inspection very soon lol!

Just going over final details now and just wondered if Ofsted have a set requirement for room temperature. Everything I have found just 'suggests' 21degrees c, or says above 18 and below 24, which when you're talking Ofsted thats far too big of a gap!! I want to know is it set in stone what Ofsted want the room temp to be.

Thanks for your help.
    No, never heard of Ofsted talking about room temp. As long as it is comfortable and safe then it is fine. Not mentioned in EYFS at all. Good luck for your inspection.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with your inspection, I don't think room temperature is a question they would ask you about especially as they like you to have your back door open all winter so children can have free flow play into garden! It would probably only crop up if they asked you what you would do if your central heating broke down, what your emergency plan would be if temperature went below certain level.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jennyandchris View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for your help.
    The law does not state what the required temperature is but there are recommendations...I would say it is down to our common sense but this link from gov.uk will help you and takes to the H&S Executive guidance

Your H&S policy could be the place you state how you keep children warm in winter and cool in very hot weather and that should satisfy any inspector

https://www.gov.uk/workplace-temperatures
    Last edited by Simona; 06-10-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

They might want to know that your radiators aren't hot enough to burn a child.

We had some work done on our boiler & the workmen turned the heating up so high you couldn't even touch the radiators. I turned them straight back down!

Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

That's really helpful. Thanks everyone.