Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default The Childcare Register 2014

The Childcare Register has been updated (Sept 2014)!!

There are quite a few new requirements in the revised Childcare Register - especially related to safeguarding and food!!

It is important to note that there are some differences between the Eyfs and the Childcare Register which you will need to reflect in your paperwork -

- The safeguarding requirements are worded differently

- The Complaints requirements are different

AND there are some requirements that are specific to the Childcare Register -

- You must inform parents about your registration on the Register

- You must give parents information about where they can find childcare if you are unable to provide a service

Childcare Register documents here -

Childcare Register requirements for childminders / home childcarers - Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - Childcare Register requirements: childminders and home childcarers

Note - there are 2 different versions of the Childcare Register - make sure you get the one for childminders and home childcarers (nannies).

Guide to registration on the CR - Ofsted | Guide to registration on the Childcare Register

Ofsted's guidance for conducting CR inspections - Ofsted | Conducting Childcare Register inspections

Any questions please ask x

2. Likes VeggieSausage liked this post
    Simona Guest

Thank you for sharing that Sarah ...as I shared the updates of several factsheets from Ofsted
    Hope CMs are taking notice because there are changes and they do apply to CMs.

Just a few days to go now to get them all embedded in practice!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A daft question!

I'm registered on the childcare register, but don't look after over 5s. Do I need to let my parents of under 5s know about my registration on the register?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah, I've got my inspection this week, so gonna get that over and then imbed all the new :-) thanks for keeping us all up to date you really are a guardian angel :-)

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The wording is to inform parents about your registration on the Childcare Register ... I add info about it to my newsletters occasionally

7. Likes Mouse liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Can't open links at the moment/download or print :-(

... is anything majorly different to before?

What exactly is it that we need to inform parents of? Apart from where else to find childcare ( is it ok to just say FIS? ... as nothing else I can do! )

Simona Guest

The exact wording is
    'The registered person MUST make arrangements with other childcare providers or with parents for occasions on which the registered person is not able to provide childcare'....kind of rings a bell ....or points to what cms already may have in place or will be via an agency

It is stated in 2 updates that relate to cms...I think we all will get around to printing and going through the updates with a toothcomb...highlighters at hand and pencilling in bits and pieces....worth doing to update policies and a lot more
    some of the new legislation has been out a while and there are quite a few bits relating to cms

Good luck with your reading everyone

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    The exact wording is
    'The registered person MUST make arrangements with other childcare providers or with parents for occasions on which the registered person is not able to provide childcare'....kind of rings a bell ....or points to what cms already may have in place or will be via an agency

It is stated in 2 updates that relate to cms...I think we all will get around to printing and going through the updates with a toothcomb...highlighters at hand and pencilling in bits and pieces....worth doing to update policies and a lot more
    some of the new legislation has been out a while and there are quite a few bits relating to cms

Good luck with your reading everyone
    My arrangements with parents are that if I can't provide childcare they sort it (except in emergency and then I only have people to cover until parents collect which they are expected to do/arrange asap) the reason for this is that I am in a rural area with very few local minders
    .. 4 in a 10 mile radius.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    My arrangements with parents are that if I can't provide childcare they sort it (except in emergency and then I only have people to cover until parents collect which they are expected to do/arrange asap) the reason for this is that I am in a rural area with very few local minders
    .. 4 in a 10 mile radius.
    TBH surely this would only happen in an emergency? If you (not you personally loocyloo, any of us) were going to be on holiday parents would have been informed and should have sorted something else out! If you suddenly go sick, though I have a list of cm locally, a) I might not feel up to going through it with parents, and b) they probably wouldn't not have space anyway

It may just be me, but other than pointing them in the direction of FIS I don't know what else I would do? Do I give them a list of local cm's just in case?

Sorry of this seems a really stupid question, but ......... on the link from Sarah for there are 4 documents, 2 word and 2 PDF - is one set the new one documents and one the old one? Sorry if I'm being dumb :/
    Last edited by Chimps Childminding; 27-08-2014 at 07:31 AM.

12. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Simona Guest

OFSTED have updated 9 documents...some have been removed altogether which is going to cause confusion but there we have it...nothing they ever do is crystal clear.

I have also found some of the changes contradictory to the EYFS...has anyone else noticed this and the new terminology adopted ??

if cms subscribe to Ofstedr newsletter they would have received the alerts yesterday...a bit late considering the updates were published on 20 August and we are now the 27th and just 4 days away from changes to be trickling down to all our documentation...just the change of one digit in the EYFS can cause a lot of time to be invested in reflecting this

just to remind cms in this forum...I info shared the updates within minutes of their publication and put a link to the twitter discussion when the comparison was being made against the inspection as I thought that may be useful...the post is in this section
    Here are all the updates

Ofsted | Search results: Resources

I have not compared each new document against the old one...I did that for Conducting new inspections and the Evaluation schedule then just ploughed through to find the new requirements

The problem is that...in the instance we are discussing on the alternative childcare....the wording is MUST ...not should...so someone will have to find out what cms can do to comply with the requirement to offer alternative care?? as commented before the wording is in 2 documents both relating to cms

up to the associations I suppose or those who will speak up at OBC to get it sorted but I think some cms already offer that alternative...I have had in my contractfor year and implemented many times but have had to tweak the wording
    My personal opinion is that the FIS is not the ones we go to sort that alternative care...many LAs do not have the FIS anymore
    Lets see what other cms think once they have read the documents?

Sorry no help but as usual ...unless the wording is clear we are left to interpret what the guidance says

On another note....Not sure if anyone subscribes to NWorld but there have been quite a few announcement made recently regarding complaint driven inspections, funding, EY Pupil Premium and mush more....stay tuned and keep updated and keep sharing if you can
    Last edited by Simona; 27-08-2014 at 07:49 AM.

Oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I just clarify please, do these changes to the Childcare Register just apply if we look after children from 5 upwards?

Sarah has mentioned that some of the wording from the CC Register has changed and needs to be reflected in our policies/procedures but does this apply if we only look after under 5's?

I'm a little confused which I hate

thank you !!

jo x

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by joannetalbot View Post
    Can I just clarify please, do these changes to the Childcare Register just apply if we look after children from 5 upwards?

Sarah has mentioned that some of the wording from the CC Register has changed and needs to be reflected in our policies/procedures but does this apply if we only look after under 5's?

I'm a little confused which I hate

thank you !!

jo x
    If you could pin point to the paragraphs or pages in the factsheets that confuse you we could discuss further maybe...the 2 factsheets on the CCare register are not very long or difficult ...give them a quick read and come back.

Personally I have found minor changes to be made and have not adjusted procedures or policies...maybe others could comment on what they have done as a result of the CCare Register updates.
    The 2 main updates are:
    you must inform parents you are on the CCare register...simple to add a few lines to your Parents info pack on this
    you must point parent in the direction of alternative care if you cannot offer it....which is rather unclear but I am sure we can all signpost parents

Good luck and get back if you are still confused

Oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you for your help,much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    If you could pin point to the paragraphs or pages in the factsheets that confuse you we could discuss further maybe...the 2 factsheets on the CCare register are not very long or difficult ...give them a quick read and come back.

Personally I have found minor changes to be made and have not adjusted procedures or policies...maybe others could comment on what they have done as a result of the CCare Register updates.
    The 2 main updates are:
    you must inform parents you are on the CCare register...simple to add a few lines to your Parents info pack on this
    you must point parent in the direction of alternative care if you cannot offer it....which is rather unclear but I am sure we can all signpost parents

Good luck and get back if you are still confused