ratios/variation help
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ratios/variation help

I am wondering if anyone can help me find a way round this problem!

I have taken on a new 3 year-old (child A) for September 2 days per week.
    I already have a 3 year old full timer (child B)
    I already have a 3 year old of my own (child C) who will be doing 12.15 - 3.15 at nursery every day.

The problem comes with child D (another 3 year old) who is also starting nursery in September 8.45 - 11.45.
    I had arranged with her parents to do the pick-ups and keep her until 1.00 and they were going to sort the 2 days when I have the new one.
    They have now come to me to say their cover has fallen through - which leaves me with an 30 min physical overlap when I have all 4, and then another 45 mins hypothetical overlap with this and my own son when he is at nursery.

(When I had my Ofsted last Nov the inspector said that I could cover my son's place as long as I had a plan!)

Does this become a continuity issue or do I have to let one of them go - which seems ridiculous for 30 mins when I know 3 of the children very well and they know my routines etc (I am also an ex-teacher and have looked after way more than that!) and that 30 mins will, most of the time be spent doing stories/lunch/games in the car or on the grass outside the nursery!

Any advice welcome!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's really entirely up to you. If you feel you can justify it and are prepared to argue the point if questioned on it, then only you can make that decision.

Personally I wouldn't do it. However you look at it you are taking on new business that will put you over your numbers. The fact you are an ex-teacher etc etc, is irrelevant as the rules are the same for everyone. Even the fact you know you would manage perfectly well is pretty irrelevant if an inspector doesn't agree with you.

You were lucky to have an Ofsted inspector who said your own child doesn't count in your own numbers when he is at nursery. Because of the variation in their interpretation of the EYFS, the next inspector you have might well say your child counts in your numbers at all times (as we are usually told). The fact a previous inspector said they don't count won't make any difference if another inspector says they do...you see why it's so difficult? It was so much easier in the days when Ofsted had to approve variations. At least then you knew you were OK to do it,

I have had a lot of variations over the years, mainly for continuity of care, and have always felt very confident in my justifications. Unfortunately I have heard too many recent tales of cms being downgraded for being over their numbers in situations that would previously been perfectly acceptable. I am now very reluctant to do them

3. Likes Rubybubbles liked this post
    Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

for me it's a no

It's new business no way around that

sorry!

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Can one of them stay fir lunch at nursery?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you wait at the nursery until the parents arrive to collect?
    Debbie

Simona Guest

The ghost of the 'overlap' issue for CMs still hangs over us because EYFS has no room to deal with this despite Truss' promise she would address the matter
    It is simply ridiculous that a CM has to give up care for 30 mins...but that's where we are at the moment

I know this will get different views but I personally would ring Ofsted and explain the situation..or even the DfE who write the EYFS

I know it is an issue that was raised at Ofsted Big Conversation and needs to be kept on the agenda in future
    Another suggestion is to write to Nick Hudson...he tells us all the time he welcomes enquiries...worth a try maybe?