Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Explanation of outdoor labels please

I have been hearing a lot about having labels outside in the garden, I've also looked through some inspection reports where child minders have failed to get Outstanding because of this.

My friend has just had her inspection and also didn't get Outstanding because of this.

Her report says
    It is not yet outstanding because... There are fewer opportunities and resources to develop children's literacy skills outdoors.

Further down is written... However, there are fewer resources and opportunities outside to support children's literacy skills. For example, books or pictures with print.

What needs to be labelled?? Do I print a label of a tree and write underneath Tree, I am really confused what needs to be labelled.

Could someone please explain as I have had outstanding twice without outdoor signs or labels. So I guess next year I won't be getting outstanding as I don't have any just lots of toys and fun things to play with, which the children find quite easily without reading what it is.
    Cherry x

Apr 99
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe it has anything to do with Outdoor Labels.....It means there were no books or paper or writing equipment outside for the children to access.
    All you have to do is provide writing and reading materials for the children to use outside. I have a set of plastic drawers in playhouse with clipboards, crayons ad pencils. We have a toolbox with magnifying glasses, binoculars and insect/plant/bird identification booklets which the children enjoy. My husband screwed a small blackboard onto gate for writing with chalk....they can also write on paving slabs.
    You could keep some supplies in an 'outdoor box' which you can put out when children go outside...
    I personally will NOT be hanging any letters or words in my garden - Outstanding or Not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Likes rickysmiths, hectors house liked this post
    July 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you gwm for your reply, now that you've explained it I can see what Ofsted mean.
    Cherry x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's very misleading when Ofsted say "the childminder is not yet outstanding because...", because it gives the impression that this is the only thing that has prevented the childminder from being graded outstanding. In reality, if the inspector judged the setting outstanding, they'd have given it whether or not the childminder had labels in the garden. If the childminder did have labels in the garden, but the inspector didn't feel they were outstanding, they'd just have come up with another reason.

I don't have any labels in my house or garden at all, but I do have plenty of other ways of promoting literacy - easels, clipboards, books, picture cards, printed & hand written name cards etc.
    Do you feel the children would benefit at all from you having labels in the garden? If not, don't worry about putting them up, but do make sure you provide opportunities to help with literacy while you are out there

6. Likes hectors house, gwm liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

WP_001432.jpgWP_001438.jpgWP_001442.jpg

These are a few of the ways I promote literacy in the garden - there are labels on the water wall and shed , that days sensory tray activities included letters , there are laminated flowers with letters on planted in one of the borders...
    I know that a garden like this isn't everyones choice but I like it!

8. Likes hectors house, funemnx, mum67 liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

WP_001437.jpg
    ( could only do 3 per post!)

10. Likes hectors house, mum67 liked this post
    July 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the pictures of your garden, I love your idea of the trellis with the tubes. This has given me lots of ideas, thank you
    Cherry x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    WP_001432.jpgWP_001438.jpgWP_001442.jpg

These are a few of the ways I promote literacy in the garden - there are labels on the water wall and shed , that days sensory tray activities included letters , there are laminated flowers with letters on planted in one of the borders...
    I know that a garden like this isn't everyones choice but I like it!
    Great photos - love the sensory tray.

Thanks for sharing

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just had my inspection and the inspector explained that she had to give me one thing to work towards, so when I got it it said I didn't get outstanding because.... I needed to tighten up the LJ's (they weren't quite up-to-date). The way it's written is misleading so if it's not the garden it will be something else....

14. Likes moggy liked this post