Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    aug 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you follow a menu?

Hi everyone!

I just wondered if everyone follows a food menu? I'm new to childminding and I'm wondering if making and following a menu for lunch and tea will be best as it'll get me organised or whether it will set things in stone too much and parents will except a certain thing.
    I am providing all meals.

Thanks

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We do a menu on Friday for the following week so that parents know what their child will be eating at mine- I only do lunch and snacks. Grandparents look after a LO too so they like to know what I have planned too.
    Also so that we can do a specific shop for the items and keep receipts for Environmental food good practise.

We don't do a monthly rotation I create menu's based on childrens changing likes and what the parents and I are trying to encourage veg, fruit etc also what is ready to harvest in my garden or sometimes linked to a book focus - handas, Olivers veg, mamas pancakes etc, or focus: Africa, France ....

We find that once I've planned and produced the menu, that is sent to parents, it's one less thing to think about.

Though my DH does all the cooking.

aug 14
    Post Thanks / Like

That's greasy advice thank you. As a family we plan a week in advance and add to calendar etc so I could continue when I start minding

4. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We have a menu - it's quite flexible to allow for changes and children's wishes.

I think it helps keep food costs down if we know what we are buying every week and keep a close eye on what we are buying / special offers etc

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been looking at the menus on the Children's Food Trust website. They provide the recipes for 5 or 20 portions, portion sizes and nutritional guidance. It also give ideas for snacks. I'm going to try some of the recipes out on my daughter while she's off nursery. I don't think I'll follow it rigidly, but it means I can justify my menu choices if anyone asks.