Prospects call... How long do i have?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Prospects call... How long do i have?

Hi guys,
    So... I'm due my first graded visit anytime soon and last week (whilst on my family holiday...Grrrr) I had an update call from prospect asking when I worked and how many children on role etc. How long have I got until Mrs O arrives and will I get another call before she does??
    Eeeeek!!

Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Soon. Probably get a call ahead of time telling you which week (but not day) she'll come. Good luck!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbinbubbles View Post
    Hi guys,
    So... I'm due my first graded visit anytime soon and last week (whilst on my family holiday...Grrrr) I had an update call from prospect asking when I worked and how many children on role etc. How long have I got until Mrs O arrives and will I get another call before she does??
    Eeeeek!!
    Cms get a call a few days before so that the inspector can gather all the info required...

it looks like that is exactly what prospects has done and looks like the inspector has followed the guidance on her procedures...has she not told you that she will inspect you very soon but has given you no 'actual' day?
    That is what should happen

This documents confirms what inspectors should do
    Ofsted | Conducting early years inspections

Good luck and keep us posted

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sing-low View Post
    Soon. Probably get a call ahead of time telling you which week (but not day) she'll come. Good luck!
    Sorry to ask Sing-low...maybe I have misinterpreted what you said but it looks like to me inspectors are now making 2 calls not just the one 'no more than 5 days before' ....as per guidance....
    so one before to gather info and then another one a few days before?

having attended the London OBC last week this is not what I understand should happen from what the Ofsted London Director said at the meeting

Post Thanks / Like

No... Just a call from Prospects office to update my info. They asked me lots of questions about when I work and how many children I have but no info on when, even which week. I am hoping I will get a call now from an inspector to tell me which week/ few days they ,may possibly come. Just wondered how long I have??
    I only work term time so know I at least have this week to get myself sorted. Just trudging through the last bit of my SEF. Soooo long! I have my own children to entertain so is making it difficult to get things done.
    Anyway, what will be will be!

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I am under east Cheshire. I got a call from prospects asking how many children I had on role, I bled them dry for information and was told they had to do it within 5 weeks. The following week I got the call from an inspector saying she wanted to come the next day!. Unfortunately the one child I had that day was off sick so she rearranged for the following week but told me the day and time. (Which I hear is unusual!) From my understanding they try to do it quite soon after the first call.

Hth x

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Sorry to ask Sing-low...maybe I have misinterpreted what you said but it looks like to me inspectors are now making 2 calls not just the one 'no more than 5 days before' ....as per guidance.... so one before to gather info and then another one a few days before? having attended the London OBC last week this is not what I understand should happen from what the Ofsted London Director said at the meeting
    As others have said, the first call was from Prospects office - information gathering - when was I working - days, hours. They said I would get another call from the inspector, which is what then happened. So yes, two calls before the inspection (mine was in November of last year).

Simona Guest

Thank you sing-low for the explanation
    There have been changes to inspections
    The first document to look at is 'Are you ready for your inspection' published April 2014

The other is 'Inspecting providers with no children on roll or children present' published March 2014

Those are the latest publications and those are the procedures inspectors need to follow now

Post Thanks / Like

Still not heard anything, 2 weeks since the update call. Could it be tomorrow?? Eek! Hate the waiting! Xx

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

In northern Ireland we get an inspection once a year and they tell us the date and time they are calling out. We are also meant to have one unannounced throughout the year as well but in 7 years I have never had one as they are so under staffed
    Tess1981

Aug2013
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the update call before Christmas. Got in a panic and,,,,,,,,nothing happened till 2 weeks ago. Finally Ofsted came around to grade me. I wish they came just after the first call in December. It would save me a lot of stress lol.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Happiness View Post
    I had the update call before Christmas. Got in a panic and,,,,,,,,nothing happened till 2 weeks ago. Finally Ofsted came around to grade me. I wish they came just after the first call in December. It would save me a lot of stress lol.
    It seems to me that Inspectors are calling cms just to update 'records' ...not to advise they will be carrying out an inspection in the next few days ...without giving a date... which is what EYFS 2012 and EYFS 2014 says they should do

I am concerned as to why cms are called and then nothing happens for a few monts...is this another individual interpretation from the outsourced inspectors?
    Can you please report it if it is happening to you...please ask the inspector or whoever is calling you the reason for the call....is it for an inspection or for updating records...if so why when your records are current if you are still on the register ...take their name

in the meantime this is what the most recent April 2014 guidance says Ofsted outsourced inspectors should do...
    Are you ready for your inspection?...look at page 6 in particular...it does not say or give any other reasons for a call months before and then silence?

Lets not allow 'individual interpretations' to spread to this...a guidance is a guidance

Before the inspection
    Notice of inspection
    16. We give most providers no notice of inspection, so that inspectors can see settings running normally. We telephone childminders and temporary provision like holiday play schemes a few days before we intend to inspect, to check children are attending or the provision is operating that day. Inspectors do not give any provider the actual date of inspection

Ofsted | Are you ready for your inspection? A guide to inspections of provision on Ofsted's Childcare and Early Years Registers

Simona Guest

Can you say if you received a call before your actual inspection following the original before Christmas?
    thank you...was it Tribal or Prospects?

Post Thanks / Like

I still have had nothing 3 weeks after prospects called to update records. The lady on the phone told me that an inspector would call within the next few weeks to let me know she was coming. They also said they should come no later than 15th may... Exactly 7 months after my registration.

Post Thanks / Like

Happiness... How long after your reg was your graded visit?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbinbubbles View Post
    I still have had nothing 3 weeks after prospects called to update records. The lady on the phone told me that an inspector would call within the next few weeks to let me know she was coming. They also said they should come no later than 15th may... Exactly 7 months after my registration.
    If the inspector calls you a few days before your inspection telling you she is coming but not giving an exact date or time...then she will be following the guidance as clearly stated in 'Conducting EY inspections'

What is unclear is why cms are being called weeks or even months before to update details...why do this when the inspector should do this in the call prior to inspection?
    who is calling the cms weeks/months before to update details...the inspector herself of the company Tribal or Prospects?

if we could clarify this we could raise it as a matter to be addressed and avoid the additional stress caused by these calls which are then followed by weeks/months of waiting.

Does it make sense?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it does, it was definitely prospects that called me 3 weeks ago

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A local childminder had the prospects call in February half term holiday, the Inspector rang on the last Friday of Spring term and came the following Thursday.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    A local childminder had the prospects call in February half term holiday, the Inspector rang on the last Friday of Spring term and came the following Thursday.
    Thank you for the information Flora Dora and Bobbibubbles...looks like cms are getting 2 calls...first from Prospects/Tribal to update info...then another by the inspector...weeks/months later announcing the immediate inspection...have I got that right?

The first call then should not cause a problem or anxiety.... if it is just to update details.... but should ring bells and get cms ready for their inspection
    Who knows what is going on but there is a pattern emerging...interesting.
    Those attending OBC in the near future could get this clarified

Post Thanks / Like

Had the second call... This time from an inspector... My forts graded inspection will be mon, tues or weds!! Eek!! The inspector said if she isn't here by 10am she isn't coming.
    Here goes.....***takes deep breath***

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast