Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Ofsted big conversation mtg - Manchester Feb 2014

As some of you know I have a meeting on Friday with Ofsted in Manchester as part of the Ofsted Big Conversation.

Knowing that I will get out-talked by the nursery providers, I would like to go with a letter I can hand over from childminders at the end.

I am going to focus on why less and less childminders are getting high inspection grades at the moment.

We know that Ofsted are grading harder and that’s absolutely fine – we want the very best for the children in our care.

However, consistency and common sense seem to have been thrown out of the window and some of the reasons for childminders not getting outstanding are, frankly, odd.

I have started my list – if you have any comments you would like to add from RECENT inspection outcomes please share them with me.

Thank you

2. Likes Rick, unalindura77 liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have nothing to add ... still waiting for inspection after nearly 5 1/2 yrs!

But good luck and thank you.

I just want to know about inspection cycle/plan/fees for independant childminders.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    As some of you know I have a meeting on Friday with Ofsted in Manchester as part of the Ofsted Big Conversation.

Knowing that I will get out-talked by the nursery providers, I would like to go with a letter I can hand over from childminders at the end.

I am going to focus on why less and less childminders are getting high inspection grades at the moment.

We know that Ofsted are grading harder and that’s absolutely fine – we want the very best for the children in our care.

However, consistency and common sense seem to have been thrown out of the window and some of the reasons for childminders not getting outstanding are, frankly, odd.

I have started my list – if you have any comments you would like to add from RECENT inspection outcomes please share them with me.

Thank you
    It is sad to hear that you will be out talked by the Nurseries and that the Chair will allow that. I was very impressed at the London one in Sept and felt that childminders were allowed to have their say as much as anyone else. Mind you there were a fair number of childminders at the meeting. Come on Manchester cms get to the meeting with Sarah and get your voice heard.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    It is sad to hear that you will be out talked by the Nurseries and that the Chair will allow that. I was very impressed at the London one in Sept and felt that childminders were allowed to have their say as much as anyone else. Mind you there were a fair number of childminders at the meeting. Come on Manchester cms get to the meeting with Sarah and get your voice heard.
    Everyone in the room is incredibly passionate Ricky! They are all very very supportive of me being there and they have committed to scheduling meetings for when I can attend - so I don't have any problems on that score.

It was decided last meeting that 9 in the group is enough - and anyone new coming along would need to go on a waiting list. there are restrictions to how many you can feasibly sit round a table in Ofsted's office or the nursery that kindly hosts us...

I just know that they all talk a lot and while the Chair is good at allowing me my say (I semaphore her and she stops them all lol!) i want to make sure we are heard - and we have a lot to say that is not always relevant to other providers - so last time I took a letter and it went down well... I thought I'd do it again

6. Likes loocyloo, rickysmiths liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

If you feel its relevant I would like you to point out that as a cm we dont always keep our toys out in the garden please. One of the things my inspector raised was that no toys were visible. We are not a nursery and our gardens are dual purpose. As such when the weather is like this chances are they are put away.

8. Likes sarah707, loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    If you feel its relevant I would like you to point out that as a cm we dont always keep our toys out in the garden please. One of the things my inspector raised was that no toys were visible. We are not a nursery and our gardens are dual purpose. As such when the weather is like this chances are they are put away.
    Absolutely relevant thank you ... we need them to remember that we are different from 'settings' and that is a drum I am constantly banging

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had my first graded inspection but just wanted to wish you good luck x

11. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely relevant thank you ... we need them to remember that we are different from 'settings' and that is a drum I am constantly banging
    Thanks Sarah x

13. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    The next London meeting is on 11 April and the invite is to all providers so to have a 'packed house' and a tight agenda...
    Manchester with its 9 providers only is following a different path...not sure why and not my place to comment but OBC is for all to attend and for as many to show their presence as the first meeting was hailed a success due to the sheer numbers who attended across the country
    I will ask if it is ok that as many should attend and not be restricted to the few

The only thing that does bother me a little is that there is, that I know of, only 1 CM as a Chair in one of the regions....my personal view is that is not enough
    There should be a CM representative in ALL areas

Our concerns regarding Ofsted and inspections are of equal importance and no one should out talk a colleague or anyone else as in fact OBC is attended by people other than providers...CMs have different issues but they stem from the same inspectorate
    What is necessary now that Ofsted has split Early Education and Childminding is for thousands of CMs to speak up and flag up their concerns...lots and lots of them not just the few

I wonder if anyone has noticed how very 'timely' the split occurred knowing what we know now Truss is about to do and reflected in the EYFS??

Has Ofsted or Truss actually answered the question as to why CMs are now separated from the rest of sector?? good one to put at the next OBC

Post Thanks / Like

As some of you know I have a meeting on Friday with Ofsted in Manchester as part of the Ofsted Big Conversation. Knowing that I will get out-talked by the nursery providers, I would like to go with a letter I can hand over from childminders at the end. I am going to focus on why less and less childminders are getting high inspection grades at the moment. We know that Ofsted are grading harder and that’s absolutely fine – we want the very best for the children in our care. However, consistency and common sense seem to have been thrown out of the window and some of the reasons for childminders not getting outstanding are, frankly, odd. I have started my list – if you have any comments you would like to add from RECENT inspection outcomes please share them with me. Thank you
    I'm still waiting for an inspection so not got any questions from myself, but have had an email from our LA recently warning us to tread carefully with increasing numbers as it could well impact on our Ofsted inspection grading. Their understanding was that it was in line with the EYFS to have 4 children under school age for continuity of care, in certain circumstances, but an Ofsted inspector disagreed. When I asked for more info, the reply said they appear only to approve if the arrangement is not long standing. My worry would be if they leave it to ourselves to decide what is an 'exceptional circumstance', how are we to know if they approve or not?

Good luck for tomorrow.

16. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgons View Post
    I'm still waiting for an inspection so not got any questions from myself, but have had an email from our LA recently warning us to tread carefully with increasing numbers as it could well impact on our Ofsted inspection grading. Their understanding was that it was in line with the EYFS to have 4 children under school age for continuity of care, in certain circumstances, but an Ofsted inspector disagreed. When I asked for more info, the reply said they appear only to approve if the arrangement is not long standing. My worry would be if they leave it to ourselves to decide what is an 'exceptional circumstance', how are we to know if they approve or not?

Good luck for tomorrow.
    The criteria for self variations and deciding on 'exceptional circumstances' always had the condition it had to be a for a 'limited time' only not ongoing for a long period...unfortunately the EYFS is not clear on that and therefore some CMs maybe putting themselves in a very difficult situation

Your LA is right to flag this up and Ofsted should have a system where a variation can be recorded by the CM when it starts and when it ends
    It is certainly a good question to get clarification on

Sept 13
    Non childminder member
    PRE-REG
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck guys! Go get 'em!

I have my inspection next week so little will the Inspector now, I'll also be evaluating HER! Will flag up any odd or silly points.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well... the letter from childminders is written and proofed - the trousers are ironed (bought trousers - I didn't think faded jeans would cut it at Ofsted head office) - the lift is organised (so I'm not walking in on my own )!

I'm getting quite excited. Thank you all for your support I couldn't do it without you

20. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    NOV 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I have just had mine. My reason for 'not yet outstanding' was not enough promotion of literature in the garden. The inspector did not go outside, it was during the bad weather we had but the children wanted to so we did some activities in the tuff spot. I disagreed with my report and told prospects she did not enter the garden so find it strange that she could comment. I was told the inspector admitted to not entering the garden as it was 'cold and windy and she was hand writing notes' however prospects will not change my grade. I'm now considering taking it further to ofsted. I'm annoyed that she admitted she was wrong but they stuck by her.
    Xx

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tinyp164 View Post
    Hi I have just had mine. My reason for 'not yet outstanding' was not enough promotion of literature in the garden. The inspector did not go outside, it was during the bad weather we had but the children wanted to so we did some activities in the tuff spot. I disagreed with my report and told prospects she did not enter the garden so find it strange that she could comment. I was told the inspector admitted to not entering the garden as it was 'cold and windy and she was hand writing notes' however prospects will not change my grade. I'm now considering taking it further to ofsted. I'm annoyed that she admitted she was wrong but they stuck by her.
    Xx
    If it was 'cold and windy' your literature would have 'gone with the wind'!!!
    It proves that inspectors are still able to judge on their interpretation...good for you to raise the matter and it is Oftsed Quality Assurance team that needs to be aware of your concern

Keep us posted

NOV 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly!! I will keep you posted! the inspector even got little things wrong I.e time I start on the morning, had she read any of my literature she would have gotten this write. My sef has lots of detail on it as well as my photo album but clearly she didn't spend much time looking through these in detail as she would have saw/read the amount of literacy and numeracy I have outside. Their first response when I complained was 'the inspector didn't give us any other points to change it to' my point then was so why can I be outstanding?! I was asked to make a decision as to if I will accept it or go further with ofsted there and then and I said I'm not willing to make that decision yet...she wasn't happy. But I will stand up for myself I will not be bullied in to thinking she admitted she was wrong but there's nothing they can do to change it :s I honestly don't know what's happening with them at the moment. thanks ladies this site gives us all so much help and support and that's why I'm not giving in xx

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Good for you tiny! Keep on fighting
    Simona I am a little confused about what you said about variations only being for a limited time. I have done this twice last yr and 1 has come to an end after a child reduced a day however the other still stands and has done for several months. It will only end (unless anything changes) at the end of the summer term this yr when my tto child will start ft school in sep. I self variated due to mum needing an extra day. In addition to this the same parent is also needing to increase again probably from next month and I have told her I can. I am due inspection anytime and am now concerned ive done something wrong but dont know why?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tigwig View Post
    Good for you tiny! Keep on fighting
    Simona I am a little confused about what you said about variations only being for a limited time. I have done this twice last yr and 1 has come to an end after a child reduced a day however the other still stands and has done for several months. It will only end (unless anything changes) at the end of the summer term this yr when my tto child will start ft school in sep. I self variated due to mum needing an extra day. In addition to this the same parent is also needing to increase again probably from next month and I have told her I can. I am due inspection anytime and am now concerned ive done something wrong but dont know why?
    That is the problem....what is a limited time for a variation?
    As long as it is not long standing then you are ok because it is for a 'limited period'...whatever that period is.
    Unfortunately if you were to ring Ofsted and ask for guidance they would say it is up to you to judge... going nowhere really!

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well... the letter from childminders is written and proofed - the trousers are ironed (bought trousers - I didn't think faded jeans would cut it at Ofsted head office) - the lift is organised (so I'm not walking in on my own )!

I'm getting quite excited. Thank you all for your support I couldn't do it without you
    Today's the day! Go get 'em Sarah

27. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope it goes well Sarah, I look forward to hearing your feedback!!!

29. Likes sarah707 liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast