Letter from truss!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Letter from truss!!

Ive been minding since October and have obviously heard lots about Truss and agencies but not really researched into it very much ( deal with it when it happens attitude) and after reading the letter all I can think is what a waste of time. Why would we need agencies? I haven't had any dealings or support from my LA at all and don't go to regular childrens centres. I get all my support and advice from you all on here and by researching myself. I have just been graded good on my first inspection (down to all your wonderful advice) so I must be doing something right. So please tell me what an agency can do to help me as we are clearly all doing pretty well on our own! X

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally am not even considering joining an agency, and the letter from Ms Truss was about as clear as mud, so I can't tell you what it could do for you just that it's not going to do anything for me as I will not join.
    Cath

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A member of our Independent childminding group recently contacted the person in our area responsible for helping newly registered minders, to ask her to tell the new minders about the Independent network and that we are here to offer support (buddy system), help fill vacancies, keep them up to date with legislation changes etc, try to coordinate training if lots of people need it at the same time etc - our independent member was told that they (the local authority) aren't happy with us remaining "Independent".

County would prefer us to sign up to the agencies that would be linked possibily to the Children's Centre - who needs agencies we are doing it all for ourselves with only a £20 a year membership fee! We desperately need more members in our Network as all 20+ of us are full and we are getting e-mails daily about vacancies that we can't help with, we have a website about to be launched and editorial currently being written for the local newspaper.

Come on other towns - you can do this too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    A member of our Independent childminding group recently contacted the person in our area responsible for helping newly registered minders, to ask her to tell the new minders about the Independent network and that we are here to offer support (buddy system), help fill vacancies, keep them up to date with legislation changes etc, try to coordinate training if lots of people need it at the same time etc - our independent member was told that they (the local authority) aren't happy with us remaining "Independent". County would prefer us to sign up to the agencies that would be linked possibily to the Children's Centre - who needs agencies we are doing it all for ourselves with only a £20 a year membership fee! We desperately need more members in our Network as all 20+ of us are full and we are getting e-mails daily about vacancies that we can't help with, we have a website about to be launched and editorial currently being written for the local newspaper. Come on other towns - you can do this too.
    Just to make sure I'm getting this correct - your all childminders wanting to stay independent and you are offering to help new minders with support and finding families etc yet your LA doesn't really want you doing this as they would rather the new minders turn to agencies????
    If that it right that's fantastic. Offering support yet remaining independent and doing things your way.

5. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cathtee View Post
    I personally am not even considering joining an agency, and the letter from Ms Truss was about as clear as mud, so I can't tell you what it could do for you just that it's not going to do anything for me as I will not join.
    I agree cathee

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Our LA are all for us being independant!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Natalierose View Post
    Just to make sure I'm getting this correct - your all childminders wanting to stay independent and you are offering to help new minders with support and finding families etc yet your LA doesn't really want you doing this as they would rather the new minders turn to agencies????
    If that it right that's fantastic. Offering support yet remaining independent and doing things your way.
    Yes this employee from the LA not only thinks that newly registered childminders should join an Agency but every other childminder in town probably the country should too!

Simona Guest

How strange and intriguing and muddled the whole thing is...some LAs want Cms to be independent and some would prefer us to join an agency??
    Who would you trust??

Cathtee...you say Truss' letter is as clear as mud?

I think if we read it again and not concentrate just on agencies and look at the wider picture....... we would find it was 'crystal' clear what she was saying in the letter although she tried to cover it very well

A few days later, at the Resolution Foundation, she announced her general childcare reforms and, more specifically, her reforms for CMs

while we still continue to concentrate on agencies her wider scheming is coming to fruition...she has achieved what she set out to do exactly 2 years ago when she became Under Secretary...and some did see it very clearly then

By the time ALL cms get that letter...which was nothing but an insulting gesture....the EYFS will have been rewritten and no one is making any noises at all

Sorry for the repetition as this thread is also in the Independent CMs section...

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes this employee from the LA not only thinks that newly registered childminders should join an Agency but every other childminder in town probably the country should too!
    Course she does,if the la set up as an agency thm her job is secure. We haven't even had the letter here, when you speak to the la they deny all knowledge of agencies

11. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    Course she does,if the la set up as an agency thm her job is secure. We haven't even had the letter here, when you speak to the la they deny all knowledge of agencies
    Well in a way they are correct in denying any knowledge of agencies...unless they are one of the trialling LAs there is little known about agencies at present...therefore she could be right in being 'unaware'...depends how we read that.

I am sure there is information out there but it is being guarded very well ...not long now before the results of the trials are out...April I believe which ties very well with Truss' reforms

Lets also remember that, by coincidence...the Children and Families Bill also gets approved in April
    Last edited by Simona; 01-03-2014 at 09:15 AM.

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

She's a sly dangerous one. I thought it was odd that we were getting our letters staggered but makes sense to delay them

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Hectors house I literally re wrote what you had said with slightly different words. I must of been tired when I read it at first!!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

There is another thread here titled Letter from Truss

A Letter to Childminders from Mrs Truss