What do we HAVE to have...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What do we HAVE to have...

Just want to check, what is the absolute basic things a childminder must display?

I am pretty sure it is just your certificate and insurance details? Is that right?

Do we 'have' to have the Ofsted Parent Poster on our walls?

I was under the impression it must be 'available' to all parents, which is why I put it in their parent pack, with other important documents such as their contracts, my safeguarding, complaints and confidentiality policies, and the foundation years guide to EYFS.

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I have my reg cert, insurance cert, parent poster and a laminated diagram of my house showing exit points.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Parent poster and registration certificate plus employers liability certificate if you employ someone

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Ofsted parent poster should also be displayed - sorry I missed that one out yesterday when I replied to your post about MIL's enthusiastic Development officer.

5. Likes EmmaReed84 liked this post
    Simona Guest

Ofsted says the poster 'SHOULD' be displayed not must...having said that most settings do display it on a wall...printing a copy for parents is possibly just as effective if parents rarely look at our display or notice boards

Ofsted | Poster for parents: childcare

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Ofsted says the poster 'SHOULD' be displayed not must...having said that most settings do display it on a wall...printing a copy for parents is possibly just as effective if parents rarely look at our display or notice boards

Ofsted | Poster for parents: childcare
    I currently already have the poster laminated on my wall, but I just want to get rid of it. I hate seeing it there, and I don't want to have to keep putting it up and taking it down, plus the yucky greasy blue tac marks it leaves on the wall.

I have my ins cert, and reg cert in a nice frame, near some shelves, it is not 'obvious' but you can see them, if you know what I mean.

I just think that the poster is there for parents to get Ofsted details, they are only really going to want their details to make a complaint, and they are hardly going to stick their nose to your wall and get the info down right in front of you, At least if they physically have their own copy, they have access to it, whenever they want. Meaning it is more useful to parents, than being on my wall...

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I have my ofsted certificate, insurance certificate, ofsted poster and the safeguarding poster which shows what I would do if there was a safeguarding issue. X
    If all else fails......add glitter!

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

My DO keeps noting on my Secret squirrel sheet, when she comes that I do no have my insurance certificate displayed. I have it in my daily file with my daily attendance. Every time I argue that is not in the standards to have insurance displayed.

Who is right? Her or me?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    My DO keeps noting on my Secret squirrel sheet, when she comes that I do no have my insurance certificate displayed. I have it in my daily file with my daily attendance. Every time I argue that is not in the standards to have insurance displayed.

Who is right? Her or me?
    Ask him to point out to you where in the EYFS on page 27 it states the certificate has to be displayed

Paragraph 3.75 says very clearly what we MUST provide for parents: a certificate of registration which MUST be displayed and shown on request, change in hours or provide overnight care...no request to display an insurance certificate...unless it is requested elsewhere
    No mention either that the Ofsted poster MUST be displayed

But of course, out of fear of downgrading, we will provide everything in the portfolio and then repeat the exercise by sticking posters on walls!!

Red tape and duplication rule!!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

True that, Simona.

The EYFS requirement is:-

3.74 Providers must make available to parents and/or carers details about how to contact Ofsted, if they believe the provider is not meeting the EYFS requirements. If providers become aware that they are to be inspected, they must notify parents and/or carers. After an inspection, providers must supply a copy of the report to parents and/or carers of children attending on a regular basis.
    Says nothing about any poster. But it seems to have become one those arbitrary 'requirements' which started out as "here's a nice resource which might help you out", progressed through the "my DO says I should have one" and has now ended up becoming a downgrading issue.

I don't think Ofsted inspectors should be allowed to make it up as they go along, but quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

My personal theory is that some Ofsted manager blew his publicity budget on photographing that oh-so-calculated-to-look-diverse (yet nonetheless miserable) group of children at that nursery, that s/he issued an edict that we'd all have to use the darned thing OR ELSE. While we're at it, what on goD's Earth is that white stuff all over the manky blue carpet (top left of the photo) ? Is it the bread they throw to the children or has one of them got all stressy over being abandoned in that hellhole all day and ripped the stuffing out of a teddy?

I also think there are better ways to ".....make available to parents and/or carers details about how to contact Ofsted....." than a poster they walk past and ignore every day (eg. I publish it in every daily diary, my complaints policy, regular newsletter reminders, etc.) but that would be too easy, wouldn't it?

12. Likes EmmaReed84 liked this post
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually got to look at the 'manky blue carpet' LOL

This is my point though, I have my 'bible' AKA EYFS framwork in a folder... it looks a right mess with highlighters all over it and scribbles around certain points. Just little things like the section about parents contacting Ofsted "Ensure parent poster in all parent new start packs and information about how to contact Ofsted, clearly stated in my complaints policy, also in parent pack"

This (I hope) shows that I know what is and is not required as stated in the EYFS, and also helps me to make sure I have what I need. Which is why I am currently asking so many questions about what we 'have' to have and what people actually have... At the end of the day, I offer a HOME FROM HOME environment, not a HOMELY PRE-SCHOOL...

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    True that, Simona.

The EYFS requirement is:-

Says nothing about any poster. But it seems to have become one those arbitrary 'requirements' which started out as "here's a nice resource which might help you out", progressed through the "my DO says I should have one" and has now ended up becoming a downgrading issue.

I don't think Ofsted inspectors should be allowed to make it up as they go along, but quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

My personal theory is that some Ofsted manager blew his publicity budget on photographing that oh-so-calculated-to-look-diverse (yet nonetheless miserable) group of children at that nursery, that s/he issued an edict that we'd all have to use the darned thing OR ELSE. While we're at it, what on goD's Earth is that white stuff all over the manky blue carpet (top left of the photo) ? Is it the bread they throw to the children or has one of them got all stressy over being abandoned in that hellhole all day and ripped the stuffing out of a teddy?

I also think there are better ways to ".....make available to parents and/or carers details about how to contact Ofsted....." than a poster they walk past and ignore every day (eg. I publish it in every daily diary, my complaints policy, regular newsletter reminders, etc.) but that would be too easy, wouldn't it?
    Bunyip...I agree...we all know that LAs are still dictating the rules as if never heard of Truss saying: less prescriptive guidance...not that anyone takes any notice of her anyway
    The less power they have the more they come out with priceless bits of information and additional paperwork
    Truss herself said she wanted providers to be independent and taking professional decisions....
    Amazing how, having been sent the letter from Truss to cms...many have still to send it to us

Of course there are better ways to communicate this poster to parents...why 'should' it be on a wall?
    I am not even sure why a certificate should be displayed?
    most parents check the provider beforehand...when they attend for a 1st visit then we can show the certificate in our portfolio

In 20 years in childcare I have never experienced such chaos, lack of joined up thinking and policies that are dragging childcare into a crisis as the current one...and who is responsible for that if not the under secretary herself?