Registered Childminder since
    Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Inspection and settling sessions

Hi

Ousted called today and visiting in a weeks time, given three days they could come.

We'll checked diary and of those three days, two I have settling in sessions for a brand new child. Aargh.

Problem is this mum is a shift worker and has already changed the dates twice for the settling in and these are the only days she can do- as my first inspection already worried. Shall I just do the sessions as planned? What do you think?

Any tips or help on this.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you do the sessions then it shows that you have a good settling in process.....but personally I wouldn't.

You are going to be stressed enough. without having to cope with an unknown child, although ofsted may say they will take this into account, in reality they inspect on what they see and if they don't see you interacting and 'teaching' (!) the other children because you are having to give too much time to the settler then thats what they will judge on.
    The other children are probably not going to be the same with a settler there either, which may cause you some problems. If the mum is there too, you are not going to be able to talk to her, because you will be busy talking to the inspector about why you have chosen the activities etc...

This grade will be with you for a long time, you have to show yourself and setting as it normally is, at its best.

I would explain to mum and if you have to, possibly offer a weekend settling time on this occasion.

Of course you may cancel and then ofsted doesn't come!!
    Perhaps you could have an arrangement where you will call her if the inspector isn't here and the child could come - but later??

Dilemma....

Good luck for next week.

Jul 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an inspection back in December. She phoned me and said she would be inspecting me shortly. I asked her what day it would be and she said she couldn't tell me. I was blunt and asked for it not to be the next day as I had a new start. Her response was it can't tell you when I'm coming but what I can say is that there is a possibility it will be tomorrow. She came on the the day of the new start. The child was very clinging I couldn't put him down without crying. Ended up with me sitting on the floor with him sat on my lap for the duration of the inspection. At the end of the inspection the inspector said that it was good to see how I interacted with the long standing mindee's and a new start. Having her come when I had a new start went in my favour. My advice to you would be to go for it. Yes it's a stressful time without a new start but choose an activity which allows you to sit on the floor with new start/other mindee's. Good luck

Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks. For the advice.

I have just texted the mum and asked if she could rearrange, but not sure she will...

It's just the thought of inspector watching, a mum watching, a mindee who is overly sensitive and then a settling in session all happening at once, plus then having to go on school run. Ah. If mum says no will have to go with it, but it would be one less stress though. Wish it was this week, as clear easy week!

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an inspection when doing a settling In session and it was a nightmare. The child cried until he was sick, and my other mindee of the day joined in with the crying as she was too little to understand what was going on and thought something terrible was happening to make little one so upset.
    Inspector wasn't in the least sympathetic to the fact that this wasn't our usual type of day! Didn't do well!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Karen1 View Post
    Thanks. For the advice.

I have just texted the mum and asked if she could rearrange, but not sure she will...

It's just the thought of inspector watching, a mum watching, a mindee who is overly sensitive and then a settling in session all happening at once, plus then having to go on school run. Ah. If mum says no will have to go with it, but it would be one less stress though. Wish it was this week, as clear easy week!
    Your inspection will focus on the children already in your care, especially the funded ones, how you teach and allow them to progress.
    Having a child who is settling is both risky and challenging at the same time....I would say inspectors rarely see a child settling in so what a good opportunity for her here.

Here you will have the opportunity to show how you are making attachments with that child and starting your professional relationship with parents but...due to the new child your daily plan may have to be altered by his emerging needs: missing his mum, unfamiliarity to the setting, you trying to care for his needs which are still unknown to you and the fact your attention will be taken from the children already in your care and diverted to him/her.

I personally would go ahead with the settling in during inspection, my view of course, I would ensure the parent arrives at the same time as the inspector and explain clearly she would have to collect him/her immediately if he/she became unsettled so I could get on with the task in hand and make sure the inspector agrees to this with no consequences on the grade as I would be trying to do my very best.

As already mentioned that grade will stay with you a long time...if you feel the outcome could be risky just explain to the parent if the inspector has decided she cannot delay your inspection...what is at stake here is the needs of the child and the parent against an inspection that can take place at a different date.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

An inspection is stressful enough without putting yourself at the mercy of the unknown.

Settling in sessions are to help the child to become used to you and how you work as much as it is for you to get to know the child.

Throwing in an ofsted inspector who may not be sympathetic is going to add to your nerves and the stress of it.

Also another thing to consider that if the mum stays with the child you may be discussing how you monitor the progress, what progress of the child has made with you so confidentiality needs to be considered too

I personally wouldn't do the settling in on the days ofsted was here
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Simona Guest

We differ in opinion and, of course, it will be Karen1 who decides what is best but it would be a shame for you to be under more stress
    The settling in was already arranged while the inspection has come out of the blue and it will take around 3 hours
    Mum could be asked to stay for just 1/2 hour on that day then lengthen the settling in the next day...it is part of the inspection to talk to parents is it not?

I would personally welcome the opportunity to show an inspector how I settle children in...others may be nervous and rightly so.
    It appears to me that the parent will have to be inconvenienced because of Ofsted as she has taken special time off to settle her child
    What is the point of Ofsted and DfE stressing we need to be flexible to cater for parents needs when an inspector will show little of it herself and it would be no harm to come another time?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    We differ in opinion and, of course, it will be Karen1 who decides what is best but it would be a shame for you to be under more stress
    The settling in was already arranged while the inspection has come out of the blue and it will take around 3 hours
    Mum could be asked to stay for just 1/2 hour on that day then lengthen the settling in the next day...it is part of the inspection to talk to parents is it not?

I would personally welcome the opportunity to show an inspector how I settle children in...others may be nervous and rightly so.
    It appears to me that the parent will have to be inconvenienced because of Ofsted as she has taken special time off to settle her child
    What is the point of Ofsted and DfE stressing we need to be flexible to cater for parents needs when an inspector will show little of it herself and it would be no harm to come another time?
    Totally agree baking is a favourite activity here but I wouldn't do it on an inspection day - too many opportunities for things to go wrong

Mum has changed the settling in times twice now so she cant really grumble at the cm doing so. flexibility needs to work both ways else its not being flexible
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Totally agree baking is a favourite activity here but I wouldn't do it on an inspection day - too many opportunities for things to go wrong

Mum has changed the settling in times twice now so she cant really grumble at the cm doing so. flexibility needs to work both ways else its not being flexible
    I do not read this the same way as you...apologies for that. I believe it says the parents has rearranged settling in because of her shift work?

This is not the issue really in my view...sometimes things can go slightly wrong but it is also how we deal and rearrange that proves our confidence and competence.
    We can plan to the minutest detail for inspection only for something to happen.

I hope it gets sorted as I am sure it will but still believe that Ofsted could have been flexible on this occasion and avoided putting a Cm through
    unnecessary stress but hope Karen1 will be ok.

Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

I have asked mum (by text as she is midwife and can't always be called - she told me that), and am still waiting for a reply!!!

I have changed her settling in times twice now and saw her to book contracts on my holiday over christmas! Due to her shift pattern, so have been very flexible with her, so am hoping she will be the same back, plus I explained that with Ofsted here I may not be able to give her child the full attention she needs on a settling in period and what I would like to do, as will have other mindee and inspector to deal with!

Plus her hours are shift, so mon/tue/wed but not every week, some weeks one day, some two some three some none. So I am being really flexible, and hope she will be too.

Will keep you all up to date. Thanks again for the help.

12. Likes N/A, FussyElmo liked this post
    Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

If you do have end up having new child and Ofsted on the same day make sure you have or get from mum starting points at where the child is at, you might have already done this but apparently Ofsted are very hot on this from day one.
    Good luck x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it would depend on the age and confidence of the child, if its an older child you could probably manage but if it's a baby needing one to one time I wouldn’t want Ofsted to do my inspection during a settling in session as it could also be very upsetting for a little one who will most likely pick up on any stress and may struggle with having another strange adult around. Personally I would want Ofsted to see my setting running on a ‘normal day’

Btw Good luck with your inspection!

Simona Guest

Hi

I have asked mum (by text as she is midwife and can't always be called - she told me that), and am still waiting for a reply!!!

I have changed her settling in times twice now and saw her to book contracts on my holiday over christmas! Due to her shift pattern, so have been very flexible with her, so am hoping she will be the same back, plus I explained that with Ofsted here I may not be able to give her child the full attention she needs on a settling in period and what I would like to do, as will have other mindee and inspector to deal with!

Plus her hours are shift, so mon/tue/wed but not every week, some weeks one day, some two some three some none. So I am being really flexible, and hope she will be too.

Will keep you all up to date. Thanks again for the help.
    Well done.. avoid any pressure at all costs and good of you to consider her pattern of work...shame Ofsted could not do the same
    I am sure she will want the best for her child and putting her/him under stress for a few hours is not worth it.
    I am sure she will appreciate your concerns and respect you for it...keep us posted!

Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Phew. My settling in child mum has agreed to swop her days- all to my mornings off, but better than stress of here with Ofsted. So pressure off a bit.

Have spent weekend sorting stuff, hope it's going to b all ok. Will keep you updated.
    Thanks for the support here

Simona Guest

Phew. My settling in child mum has agreed to swop her days- all to my mornings off, but better than stress of here with Ofsted. So pressure off a bit.

Have spent weekend sorting stuff, hope it's going to b all ok. Will keep you updated.
    Thanks for the support here
    Well done and good luck!

Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I got a Good I am really pleased. Just sat down as mindee gone. 15 days till report!

Yeah

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well done, Karen!

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant well done uou!