Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Over 5's

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Over 5's

Hi

I wonder if you someone could clarify this for me. I will be due my first graded inspection in a few months. If you only have over 5's on your books I believe Ofsted do not visit. However, if you have under and over 5's., do they still check everything for the over 5's and what are you expected to have regarding learning & development. I have been told to keep a kind of scrapbook with their drawings in and some photos, but do we have to do anything in the way of observations and planning, also do we have to do written summaries or meetings with parents and how often should these be done?

I'd be grateful for any info., as I just can't seem to find anything to help me so far.

Thank you.

Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

With my first inspection the inspector looked at all the learning journeys whether under five or otherwise. She told me I was doing too much work for the children I had age 7 and 10 (just a scrap book of drawing and photos). I think a scrapbook and photos is fine for a five year old if you only do wrap around care.

I believe they will call you again in six months to see if you have an early years child.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you are registered for Eyfs aged children then you will be inspected for Eyfs aged children.

If you are just registered on the Childcare Register for over 5s then different rules apply.

If you are registered for Eyfs aged children and you don't look after any - so you don't have evidence of using the Eyfs and supporting children's learning and development - then you will struggle to get a higher grade than 'requires improvement' (a new grade from Nov 4th).

Once children are in school - year 1 - you don't necessarily need to show evidence of what you are doing with them. However, Ofsted inspectors will want to see the children busy and enjoying their time with you and I have read inspection reports which criticise childminders because older children are not engaged in activities.

Hope this helps