Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ofsted invoice error

Hopefully this is just a one-off error, but thought I'd mention in case they're making regular mistakes.

Got my Ofsted registration bill this week. The invoice is all in order, but it came with a separate sheet, stating I need take no further action because the amount would be taken by direct debit. I phoned Ofsted to query this cos I use very few direct debits and thought it unusual. They couldn't give me a straight answer and said they'd call me back. I did not receive a phone call, but only an email containing factual innaccuracies. Not wanting to let it lie, I called again and demanded to speak the named person in the finance department who'd sent the email, and was put through after the usual interminable delay 'on hold'.

She finally agreed to check my records and said they had no bank details or direct debit mandate for me, so I should not ignore the bill after all and must do something about paying it.

I asked, "What would've happened if I'd followed the instruction to 'take no further action'?"

She said, "if you'd done nothing, your fee would've remained unpaid and we'd removed your registration."

Hope they've not been sending out too many of these errors. If you're in doubt - check with the finance department and don't just let it go.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Hopefully this is just a one-off error, but thought I'd mention in case they're making regular mistakes.

Got my Ofsted registration bill this week. The invoice is all in order, but it came with a separate sheet, stating I need take no further action because the amount would be taken by direct debit. I phoned Ofsted to query this cos I use very few direct debits and thought it unusual. They couldn't give me a straight answer and said they'd call me back. I did not receive a phone call, but only an email containing factual innaccuracies. Not wanting to let it lie, I called again and demanded to speak the named person in the finance department who'd sent the email, and was put through after the usual interminable delay 'on hold'.

She finally agreed to check my records and said they had no bank details or direct debit mandate for me, so I should not ignore the bill after all and must do something about paying it.

I asked, "What would've happened if I'd followed the instruction to 'take no further action'?"

She said, "if you'd done nothing, your fee would've remained unpaid and we'd removed your registration."

Hope they've not been sending out too many of these errors. If you're in doubt - check with the finance department and don't just let it go.
    Well thank you Bunyip...I got my fee request today as well and I am searching for the invoice itself but nowhere to be found amongst the various bits of paper that were in the envelope telling me the obvious: that my fee is due!!

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think they know what they are doing. My last bill said to pay the amount in order to complete my registration. I was registered in 2006!

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up, hope they will get it sorted by the time mine is due in Feb.
    Cath

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't get a bill at all this year-due jan/feb time. Thought it would just come a bit later, then forgot to check. No communication or letters from ofsted in between. Come sept I got a letter saying I had 14 days to appeal the decision to cancel my registration! Utter panic, a couple of phone calls and bill paid over the phone. Next year if i havent had my bill by feb-I'm calling them! Bloomin useless-then it was all my fault, of course. Grr

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

We had the exact same with DH invoice.... We checked our bank records and no DD was set up, took a couple of weeks to sort!!!
    boo

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's great, isn't it. We make a mistake = we get suspended. Ofsted make a mistake = we get suspended.

Had similar with DHSS, who just admitted after 11 months that I had paid NI contributions for April-October 2012, and finally accepted I was therefore overpaid by 6 months'-worth of NI. They issued a standard 1-sentence un-heartfelt apology. But if we're late with the payments or self-assessment we get fined.