Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First Inspection + Chickenpox = ?

Hi there,

I am due my 1st inspection this week, and my son has come down with chickenpox! It started Friday, so I informed the parent of the children I mind and she had no problem with her children still coming to me, as she said my son will have been contagious when her children were there the days before. So I picked them up from school and looked after them Friday, no problems.
    My inspection is either tomorrow (Monday) or Friday, as these are the only days I have the children. It has already been postponed 3 times by Prospect.

If Prospect were to turn up tomorrow, would I be in trouble for having minded children when my boy is sick? I don't have a written infections policy, but if a mindee was ill I would refer to the HPA guidance. As I care for siblings and no other children, I would be happy to care for them if they had chickenpox, if that was ok with the parent.

Help please! I really want to get my inspection done with, as I have been ready for weeks now, but don't want to get a negative report because of chickenpox.

Thanks,
    Laura

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You need to tell Prospect that you have chickenpox in the house. The inspector may be pregnant or have a weakened immune system who wouldn't want to be around the virus
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

3. Likes Rick, k1rstie liked this post
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooops hadn't even thought of that, thanks. But they won't mind that I've still got mindees even though he is sick?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by laurajane7 View Post
    Ooops hadn't even thought of that, thanks. But they won't mind that I've still got mindees even though he is sick?
    I don't know depends on what they think to chickenpox.

They could think you are knowingly infecting the children or that the care you are providing is being impacted because your son is poorly needing looking after and that you should follow HPA guidelines.

I really don't know what they would say.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

This is so tricky as a lot of people think different things.

I would not be amused if you were minding whilst you knowingly have a child with chicken pox - no matter whether parents mind or not - they are not qualified to care for children - you are and the onus is on you.

I know a lot of folk have the adverse view about chicken pox.

From an inspectors possible point of view:
    It is clearly your responsibility to safeguard children from infectious disease to the best of your ability, whether it be chicken pox, influenza, impetigo, etc... etc.... In my view and I would say in this case with an inspection imminent - it is black and white - you are not. SORRY

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Working when there is chicken pox in the house is one thing - having an Ofsted inspection when there is CP in the house is another.

This is why I am reluctant to advise childminders to work when there is illness - I know mum says it is ok now - but what if her child develops serious complications as a result of the CP?

Ofsted might well look at it from this point of view - even understanding your reluctance to let a family down.

Plus will you do your best at inspection if your child is ill? I remember my own children being ill when they were small. Goodness me they were hard work!

I'd delay it because of illness if I were you. Hugs xx