Got the call!  And immediately annoyed Mrs O.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Got the call! And immediately annoyed Mrs O.

She called this morning at 8.30. Seemed really friendly, said she had some bad news - she was coming to do an inspection. Then she asked how many children I have and I said I couldn't talk now because I had to leave on the school run. Could she call back later. This seemed to annoy her and she said she wasn't sure, but she would try. I then asked her to call back in the evening, since I needed to discuss things with her and I couldn't do that during working hours.

I think I've blown my inspection before she even walks through the door.

And when she does call back, I'm going to be quite demanding about how she needs to behave on the day of the inspection to minimise upset for one of my mindees. She's going to need to sit in a corner and not let the child see her looking! And if she could do the inspection with her eyes closed (SENCO advice) that would be GREAT!

She's gonna hate me.

JAN96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This made me laugh! Good for you for being honest and not putting on any acts or trying to make it all look perfect as this never happens when little people are involved anyway! I totally agree as well that a stanger in the house can be very un nerving for some children and I think you are well within your rights to ask her to try and be very discreet in your house! Did she call you back? Would love to know how it goes as I will have the same situation when my inspector comes as I have 2 that go to pieces when people visit us!

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You won't have blown it, they know we're busy people and can't always sit around and chat.
    I don't think it's unreasonable either to give her some rules in your house, especially if you have a child with special needs. (were you kidding about the eyes closed bit though lol?!)
    When my inspector came I felt she was very much in charge, although she was lovely. I felt v nervous in my own house, which was strange. I think if she'd asked me stand on my head and sing I would have done!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Woops.

Im not too sure how she will be able to do an inspection with her eyes closed, but im sure it should be fine to ask her not to give eye contact to the child. Maybe she could be set up somewhere out of the way, ie with her back to your mindee whilst looking at paperwork.

At the end of the day you know the children best and would not want to cause any undue stress. In a nursery this would be much easier as there are other practitioners there to help and support, and hopefully she will understand that she may not be able to have as much of your attention as she may want while that mindee is present. Is there a time when that mindee doesnt attend? that may be a good compromise.

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Not joking about her having her eyes closed!

This mindee only comes on a Friday, however I've had her for nearly 3 years and the children that come Mon-Thurs I've only had for a few months (and they're a lot younger), so I have a feeling that she'll want to come when I have the older ones. Will try to talk her out of it though.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I shouldn't worry. Did she expect you to leave schoolies at the gate?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gef918 View Post
    Not joking about her having her eyes closed!

This mindee only comes on a Friday, however I've had her for nearly 3 years and the children that come Mon-Thurs I've only had for a few months (and they're a lot younger), so I have a feeling that she'll want to come when I have the older ones. Will try to talk her out of it though.
    I would offer to email the recommendation written by the senco so she knows you are following a professional advice and then she hopefully come on another day.

You will still be able to show all your planning for this child and will be better placed to chat. So reducing the time she is at yours
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I also wouldn't worry and you are putting children's needs first which is more crucial:-)

I had a child who was very unsettled by strangers on inspection day (I know it's not the same) but inspector was very good and sympathetic to everyone's needs and made inspection as smooth and less stress as possible etc.

Good luck and its great to make yourself heard before they arrive:-) afterall they are entering your home etc.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

For my last inspection I asked her not to come on a certain day as I had a lo just start within the last fortnight and he was very upset and clingy - he had previously been at Nursery and hadn't settled after being there several months.

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    For my last inspection I asked her not to come on a certain day as I had a lo just start within the last fortnight and he was very upset and clingy - he had previously been at Nursery and hadn't settled after being there several months.
    That's good to know. Hopefully my inspector will be as understanding.

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure she'll understand your requests, they do say that they try to keep the disruption to a minimum!
    The inspectors must understand how busy we are with schools runs etc...so wouldn't worry too much about that.
    Good luck and hope all goes well
    Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

well she can't knock you for putting the children first good for you telling her she wasnt' going to make you late for school run.

Hope that you get some consideration for the SENCO's suggestions
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got