do I need to have Ofsted out if we put on a new downstairs toilet?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default do I need to have Ofsted out if we put on a new downstairs toilet?

Hi, Im returning to childminding after being on maternity leave and also due an inspection soon, we are thinking of putting on a downstairs toilet, do I need to have Ofsted out or just inform them and send in a risk assesment? Work should be done outside of childminding hours, maybe before I return

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

When I did my extension I did a risk assessment and informed Ofsted that a new room was being put in. Cannot see why they would want to come out apart from to look at your new "room"
    Debbie

3. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My friend recently moved house and Ofsted didn't want to inspect, neither did they when she got her garden registered in her previous house. She just needed to have done risk assessments.

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you, in 2 minds about putting it on, its basically just for going back to childminding so children have no reason to go upstairs and parents, so don't need to worry about beds not being made lol. Ofsted did in fact come out to check our new house but there was issues with things like big mirrored sliding wardrobe doors, so was told not to use those rooms for sleeping children ..... she even said for the safety of my own children to put the glass protector stuff on, then the other room had stairs going up into the loft room so had to block that off and use for sleepers until the other room was done, so prob. why they came to look.

Anyway back to the toilet .... Ofsted said not to use the kitchen sink for hand washing so would have to cart everyone off upstairs every time to wash hands .... hence putting on a downstairs toilet. I did say Id detox the sink out after every hand wash and only use the middle section but she reluctantly agreed. The alternative was hand gel and wipes but I don't think that's particularly good on the skin ... so came to the conclusion that a downstairs toilet would be less hassle although set us a back a few thousands ...

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

We recently had a new bathroom and bedroom upstairs while I was on maternity leave. I called Ofsted and they said all I needed to do was email them that we had had the work done. Hx

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

When I had my conservatory built I was told I had to inform them before any building works took place and submit a risk assessment of the works being carried out. (I just stated as it was being done with no children attending there was no risk to the children or parents) then once completed I had to send a risk assessment for using it and state the date when I intended to start using it.

For both risk assessments I just emailed them to ofsted and got a standard thank you,.. Relevant dept sort ofresponse.

Don't forget planning permission for the toilet and also informing your household insurers of the change.