Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Inspections with no children present?

I'm currently on maternity leave but my son starts school in September so I'm thinking of providing before and after school care from then. My inspection is due in July this year but I presume if they call I can just say I'm not currently working and they will contact me again at a later date? They seem to be running behind here anyway, some who were due inspections in November last year are still waiting.
    Also, if I'm only providing before and after school care, will they want to carry out the inspection when the children are here? Or will they just come during the day as they usually would and look at paperwork, the setting etc? I'm worried because a friend who worked in a creche was inspected at a time when no children were present and they were downgraded from good to satisfactory simply because the inspector couldn't see the staff interact with the children...they was a little while back so maybe that's changed, doesn't seem fair really.

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

When they ring I would just say you only do before and after school care and ask them o come around a certain time. You can only ask

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I thought that they would still inspect you but you would be inspected with no children on the roll. Depends on the age of your before and after schoolies I suppose Ofsted are not bothered with children out of the eyfs
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    I thought that they would still inspect you but you would be inspected with no children on the roll. Depends on the age of your before and after schoolies I suppose Ofsted are not bothered with children out of the eyfs
    I thought the opposite Fussy. I thought Ofsted could delay the inspection if you have no mindees?

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I received a good in march and as i wasnt happy i thought I would look online to see if the inspector had graded anyone else. I couldn't find any but did find a childminder in my town had received a good with no children on roll.

That didn't make me feel any better as how can you grade someone who has had no interaction with children..... ??

So my grading where she was here 3hrs, watching me interact was the same as a minder down the road who had no children present....
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen some reports where it states that there are no EY children on roll and no grade was listed, just something like 'conditions of registration met'.

If that is the case though, then if you did want to take on EY children in the future, you could just explain to prospective parents that your report doesn't list a grade because you weren't offering EY places at the time of inspection? Maybe you could use references from past parents if they wanted some reassurance?
    Last edited by lisbet; 11-06-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    I received a good in march and as i wasnt happy i thought I would look online to see if the inspector had graded anyone else. I couldn't find any but did find a childminder in my town had received a good with no children on roll.

That didn't make me feel any better as how can you grade someone who has had no interaction with children..... ??

So my grading where she was here 3hrs, watching me interact was the same as a minder down the road who had no children present....
    What?!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Knight View Post
    I thought the opposite Fussy. I thought Ofsted could delay the inspection if you have no mindees?
    you can but I suppose it depends on how long you are overdue. My friend had one last july because she had to be inspected in that cycle
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

i thought you couldn't get higher than a satisfactory if you had no eyfs children present...

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm not sure then! I'd probably be caring for some children in reception class so still in the EYFS bracket. I don't know that they would come after the school run, imagine being inspected at say 4pm trying to get dinner cooked and children being collected, what a nightmare! I guess if they will only give a satisfactory because they inspect while the children are at school, i'd just have to accept that.

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Do ofsted do school holidays if so could ask them to come then when have schoolers all day

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was Due inspection they rang I said I have no children on so they delayed it and old me to ring when I have children their
    I've also heard if inspected with no Ey children most u get is a satisfactory

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are just doing before and after school why not ask to come off the the EY register and then they won't inspect you on that. You can always go back on at a later date when you are ready to do little ones again
    Debbie

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

If I come off the EY register wouldn't that mean I can't care for children in reception class? Both parents who have mentioned needing childcare have four year olds so still in the EYFS bit. They also didn't need care in the school holidays so wouldn't be able to arrange inspection for then either

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I've known of several inspections round here where children were after school only, the inspector just comes after school when the children are there, I've never heard of them coming In The day when you nly have after school children.

If they ring before you start back after maternity they usually just tell you to get in touch when you are working again and as long as you ring before the inspection cycle is up they will delay your inspection. If you don't contact them before the end of the inspection cycle they will call you and come and inspect you with no children on roll, unusually for this you get no grade.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok thank you. An inspection after school sounds like hell! I bet that's so much more stressful than a 'normal' inspection. I can see why they do it though of course.