Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Making a complaint against Ofsted

As promised, here is some information about making complaints against Ofsted - before, during or after your inspection.

Ofsted must follow their code of practice before, during and after inspections -

Ofsted | Conducting early years inspections

They make judgements following this evaluation schedule -

Ofsted | Evaluation schedule for inspections of registered early years provision

You can make a complaint against Ofsted at any time if you feel the inspector has not followed their code of conduct or has not judged you fairly by following the requirements of the EYFS and / or Childcare Register.

All childminders should be treated equally by Ofsted inspectors who must follow their own code of conduct and inspection guidance documents.

The Ofsted Code of Conduct for inspectors says that they must ‘uphold the highest professional standards in their work’. They must also be…
    • Objective and impartial
    • Honest, fair and reliable
    • Sensitive to the needs of the provider
    • Clear and frank when communicating judgements.
    It is also a requirement of their code of practice that they minimise stress.

You should complain immediately –
    • It the inspector has done or said anything or acted in any way against their code of conduct;
    • If the inspector says ‘I only give satisfactory to childminders’ or ‘you won’t get good because you are new’;
    • If there are factual errors on your Ofsted report;
    • If the inspector has upset the children;
    • If the inspector has said something on your report which is not within their remit such as commenting on the lack of socket covers;
    • If you have been refused registration and you feel the reasons you have been given are not valid;
    • If conditions have been imposed on your registration and you are unhappy about them.

It is important that you seriously consider whether you are doing the right thing or not by complaining – any complaints procedure can be a long, drawn out affair and can cause distress.

Complaints will not help you if –
    • You want Ofsted to update your inspection report to mention something you have changed after your inspection or something you forgot to mention during your inspection;
    • You are not happy with their judgements but you have no evidence to back this up.

If you feel your inspector is acting unfairly or has their facts wrong, you can complain during your inspection by telephoning the Ofsted helpline - 0300 123 1231.

If you want to wait until the inspector has left your house - or if you ask your inspector to leave - you should contact Ofsted to complain as quickly as possible. Do not wait for your report!

Ofsted sets out its commitments to you during the complaints process in document no. 070080 ‘Complaints procedure - Raising concerns and making complaints about Ofsted ‘ -

Ofsted | Complaints procedure: raising concerns and making complaints about Ofsted.

This document includes information about how Ofsted will handle complaints.

Your rights during the complaints process –
    If you want to make a complaint against Ofsted you have the right to –
    1. Speak to the inspector on the day;
    2. Contact the Ofsted helpline – 0300 123 1231 during or after your inspection;
    3. Write to Ofsted giving details of the complaint;
    4. If you are not satisfied after making phone calls or writing letters you have the right to contact the Quality Assurance National Team and a senior Ofsted manager will review your complaint. This is known as making a ‘First Tier’ complaint.
    5. If you are not happy with the outcome, you have the right to ask Ofsted for a ‘Second Stage’ complaint review.
    6. Independent review - if you are still unhappy with the outcome of your complaint you have the right to ask for an independent review. Ofsted will refer your complaint to The Independent Complaints Adjudication Service for Ofsted (ICASO).
    7. Ombudsman review.

You can ask other childminders for help and support on the Childminding Forum after your inspection if you feel you have been unfairly treated.

You might also have help available via your Local Authority.

If you would rather not share your inspection concerns on the forum please send a personal message to one of the moderators who will help you.

2. Likes phoenix2010, lollipop kid liked this post
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this, bedtime reading I think.

Feb 200
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Sarah

July 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah
    Cherry x

Jan12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah your timing is brilliant for me x

dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

This made me panic. Due mine week 3rd june. Inspecter was nice on phone but im so nervous

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah, I can safely say that this time I didn't need to complain about my inspection as it was a lovely experience - I even thanked her

13. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Complain or provide feedback ?

Hi, yesterday, I had my inspection and was graded a 'good'.

However, I am a little miffed about one of the recommendations she will be putting into my report. She has made a judgement based on her observations when I made a comment to my own child, (not a minded child), I suggested for my child to use a bucket when she was transferring sand. Later, she asked me how I would challenge children's learning. She was happy with the answer I gave, although she said I didn't do this when I made a suggestion to my own child. The thing is, she had explained to me at the beginning of the inspection, she would not make any judgements based on observations with my own children, only my minded children - so why has she made this recommendation based on her observation to my child. I was hesitant to question this yesterday in fear of what she would say, but reflecting back, i am not happy with this going into my report as I think this is an unfair judgement. What would you recommend that I do, put this down as feedback on the form she left, or make a complaint. I know that this would not make any difference to my grade, but it should be highlighted surely ???

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sally45 View Post
    Hi, yesterday, I had my inspection and was graded a 'good'.

However, I am a little miffed about one of the recommendations she will be putting into my report. She has made a judgement based on her observations when I made a comment to my own child, (not a minded child), I suggested for my child to use a bucket when she was transferring sand. Later, she asked me how I would challenge children's learning. She was happy with the answer I gave, although she said I didn't do this when I made a suggestion to my own child. The thing is, she had explained to me at the beginning of the inspection, she would not make any judgements based on observations with my own children, only my minded children - so why has she made this recommendation based on her observation to my child. I was hesitant to question this yesterday in fear of what she would say, but reflecting back, i am not happy with this going into my report as I think this is an unfair judgement. What would you recommend that I do, put this down as feedback on the form she left, or make a complaint. I know that this would not make any difference to my grade, but it should be highlighted surely ???
    I am not sure whether cms own children are to be treated 'separately or differently' during an inspection....I have never read anything that points to that
    I would check on this because they take up a space as counted in our ratio and therefore have rights to equal concern...

Your inspector has said she graded you 'good' but did she tell you that her judgement will now go to Quality Assurance? hope so because this is in the latest Ofsted updates...only when you get the report will you really know what is in it as QA can alter things...including her terminology

I hope the inspector did not ask you 'how you would challenge children's learning' as the question should have been put differently....providers have never 'challenged' children in their learning...hope she knew that and hope she does not record it in her report

I hope the inspector has recorded her observations properly and used the appropriate language
    Good luck...I hope you will b every happy in your report when it comes

On a different note .....Ofsted are very keen to engage with providers now ...thanks to OBC which has achieved huge steps ....Nick Hudson in particular is keen to hear from anybody...do get in touch with him
    Inspectors' training has been put on the agenda thanks to the London OBC which highlighted this problem at our last meeting but we will want to hear what they say at our next meeting
    Last edited by Simona; 29-08-2014 at 07:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Simona,

Yes she said it would go to QA.

I'm sure that is what she said to me, however, it is now a bit of a blur, so perhaps it is me that has the terminology wrong. Either way, she was getting at the fact that I should have left my child to it and eventually she would have drawn her own conclusion that a bucket would be better, thus encouraging critical thinking. I can see why she pointed it out to me, but am not so sure the recommendation should be included within the report as this was not a minded child.

I will look into it, and perhaps just pop it on the feedback form she left rather than complain, don't think I could go through another 5 hours of being observed and assessed.

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah