Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default my worse inspection ever

Well I've been minding over 10 years so have had a couple of inspections and received a good last time, Since then I have studied hard and finished a FD and think the level of care I offer the children is excellent my last development worker said I should be aiming for an outstanding with all work I put in (she was ex inspector) , but that matters one jot as my inspector was focused on one things and one thing alone my teaching ability. She said I was now a satisfactory but would try her best to get me a good. I have made a few notes while it is all fresh in my mind and will share them with you.

I had my own son 4 and two minded brothers (nearly 3 and nearly 4 both Polish been with me 1 year)

She had the wrong name on her id badge, when I questioned this she said she has two names and showed me another badge.

I asked the children to children to help show her around, I asked them what we did in each area but showed little interest just poking her head through the door and hurrying me up. not looking at any of the resources that I have available.

She then sat down and began to tell me the inspection has changed. It would be focusing on my teaching ability and not to expect the same grade as last time as now it is harder. She made this presumption within 2 min of coming in to my setting.

She asked if I had completed a SEF and explained that I emailed it to her and she said she doesn't always get things emailed to Ofsted. I said I had sent it to her own email which she received as it included my new phone number which she has used.

She was not interested in any of my paper work apart from the 2 Learning Journeys. She didn't look at or ask about : attendance registers, risk assessments, complaints books, accident book, policy’s, group planning based around the children’s current interests or my daily activities.

She only poked head into playroom and went outside once for 2 mins spending the 1 hr 20 min sat on chair using her computer. I was mainly outside, potting up plants with the children, planting seeds, building a towers out of wooden blocks and playing in our mud bath all the time talking to the children and engaging them in conversations non of which she could have heard.

She pulled me up on not forcing a child to tidy up when asked. I know this child well and it would have been a battle I could not win, his attention was dropping after being sat making bread and what he really needed was a run around in the garden and some fresh air before attempting to clear up.

She told me I should have made the 3 year old sort out the water dispenser when the tap got stuck with water pouring out all over the floor, where as for safely reasons I picked it up and took it to the kitchen to empty myself before we had a massive puddle and soaked floor.

She said I needed to include the children more with tasks, but if she had stayed longer she would of seen them helping prepare lunch, putting their own plates away and sweeping the floor.

She said I had taken a lot on being pregnant and looking after 3 children. Implying I could not cope well I have 4 of my own and 3 step children who all get attention and are well rounded and well behaved so I am sure I can manage 3 little ones during the day. I do not find it exhausting as I can still manage to do exercise classes in the evening etc.

She questioned the fact I still put them down for naps (nearly 3 and nearly 4) and asked if this was necessary at their age as one is starting school in Sep. I explained they come to me at 7.30 and are often up from 5 depending on parents shits so the parents have requested naps otherwise they would be asleep at 2.30 pick up and they would not get to spend time together. She was still not convinced this was helping with school readiness.

She felt I could not show how they have progressed due to a language barrier ( the eyfs children are polish) despite me being able to show written evidence of improvement in all areas of learning and development. This is pretty much all she spoke about for the whole hr, whatever progress I showed her she implied it was average and not good and they need to be showing a good progress for me to get a good grade. For example they are both behind in CL but English is their second language and I’m the only one speaking it to them and as they understand everything I say I think this is excellent progress. The oldest one forgets to wash his hand and she felt this wasn't showing good progress in PD. She is totally under the impression that the children’s development is entirely down to me and parenting or their own genetic make up has nothing to do with it. They sometimes go back to Poland for weeks at a time and we have to start all over again when they get back because their family does everything for them such as dressing. I wish I had made out my own son was a minded child as he can write his own name, recognise loads of letters and numerals and asks lots of questions.

She said she would make her own judgement at what level they were at and compare this to what I thought, she does not know the children like I do and she can not make these assumptions across al areas of learning and development within one hr especially as the children often act different when strangers are present.

She described one of the minded children as being wild and having behavioural problems, again both me and the parents put this down to language barriers as I cant always explain things to him and I know that when I focus his attention on the things he enjoys such as drawing and craft his levels of frustration can be greatly reduced. He usually gets like this with someone else in the house. She suggested I do more Behavioural management training, I explained again this is due to language barrier and the fact he can become quite active and loud( not wild) and this does not need changing its his personality which I'm not intending to stifle. Also to help this child I should do a picture time table on the wall, but he has no difficulty adjusting from one activity to the next and we do not have a set routine, I'm not a school.

She showed no interest into the care side of childminding or the safely aspects. She did not see how well I know these children and can respond to their needs or how I plan activities and experiences for them based on my observations. She did not care that they come and sit with me for cuddles or that they smile when they look at me. She showed no interest that they come and hold my hand and want to show me something they have built as they want to share the experiences with me and gain pleasure from my praise.

She said I need to listen carefully to her recommendations (I was trying to focus on the children in the garden) as if I didn't improve I would not be getting a good next time. She said she would see what she could do and try to scrape together a good for me, I polity explained if that is all they were interested in there would not be a next time and not to expect to see me again. I thanked her for her time and she left.

Dec 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness that sounds awful. All I can suggest is to write everything down, especially her very negative language and then appeal or make a complaint. I am sure someone will be along in a minute with more knowledge about that than me but I didnt want to not reply.

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know what to say, I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you some advice. Sounds like an awful inspector. I'm not in England so not sure how you would appeal but I hope you can.

Really feel for you, what a horrible experience

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have much knowledge & have only been minding 6 months. But when I had my recent inspection it seems a lot different to how you describe yours.

She sounds like a very negative person & from what you have said you do with these children you should have had many positive comments not negative ones.

I would wait for the report & see what it says & then maybe make a complaint about the negativity she gave you. Especially if you feel you deserve at least a good, if not more.

Sounds like you do a great job :-) x

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    Oh my goodness that sounds awful. All I can suggest is to write everything down, especially her very negative language and then appeal or make a complaint. I am sure someone will be along in a minute with more knowledge about that than me but I didnt want to not reply.
    This ^ and

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

That is appalling and I would definitely be putting in a strong complaint noting everything. I'm all up for criticism but if i ever got an inspector like that I wouldn't be able to control myself....she'd probably get a boot up the backside on my front doorstep ...lol

On a serious note though I would complain and get another inspection
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

7. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    West Sussex
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG that sounds awful, what a rude and unpleasant inspector. From what you describe it sounds like you are doing a great job and giving those kids great experiences and she sounds like she's on a power trip. My inspection is long overdue and I'm dreading it based on some of the reports from forum members :-(

Jan12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

How awful- you must feel so deflated. Sending massive hugs x

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

oh my.

sending you a big hug.

sounds to me like an inspector who doesnm't know or understand about childminders. i would complain.

xxx

toddlers896 Guest

that's awful, I feel really sorry for you. We all dread inspections anyway and to be put down like that is just so bad. I think I would be so upset I would end up giving up. I hope you are ok.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds nothing like my inspection sounds like your inspector needs inspecting to me. I think you need a appeal. Another inspector and by the sounds of it you would get outstanding.

june 83
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

How awful for you, if childminding is about teaching children and not the care and love we show them, then I will not be childminding much longer then. We all know that children learn from play and being in a safe and welcoming environment dont we. I would like the others say complain as this does seem so wrong to me. Hope you are ok

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG I've got tears in my eyes reading your post, what an absolute dragon - pity she didn't run into St George on a dark night!

Imagine if we spoke to the children in such a negative way, how can she expect to get the best out of you when she shows such little interest. I'm sure you are doing a fantastic job with these children, years ago you could almost guarantee to get outstanding if you had a child from a different culture or with a learning or physical disability whereas this woman hasn't believed the fabulous progress you have made with these siblings - maybe they aren't meeting all the targets in the Development Matters but the language barrier explains that. I had a lo who went to school last Sept he still had an hour afternoon nap until he went - his mum agreed that he still needed it. I remember when I was first in school we had to put our heads down on the table after lunch for a rest and lots of children fell asleep. Also less than 1 1/2 hours sounds very short for an inspection - especially for a setting that is apparently only just scrapping good!

Definitely complain - loud and clear and threaten them with newspaper interviews if they won't send another unbiased inspector out. Don't wait for the paper copy of your report - complain and report her immediately.

15. Likes kellyskidz!, Joda liked this post
    Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

Goodness this inspector sounds ridiculous! You can appeal to Ofsted about inspection grades so I would do just that - listing everything you have written here. I have never ever had anything like that in an inspection. Sounds like you and the children had a great time - its a shame the inspector couldn't remove her bum from the chair!!!!! Try not to let it get you down , stick to your guns and complain.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Nov 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

She was just obsessed with the language thing and kept saying I couldn't show improvements because of it, but I can. I tried to show her how I was assessing his speech this week compared to 3 days in Feb and already I can see new words and the beginning of sentences but she didn't seem to care. They are making progress but are still one stage behind, what ever happened to children developing at their own rate. She paid no attention to the other aspects such as making relationships or self confidence which they have in bucket loads.

So how on earth do I make a complaint and is it worth it?

Nov 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just checked the inspection guidelines and it says

26. Children’s progress should not be viewed as a ‘race to the goals’. The extent of children’s progress relates mainly to the quality of teaching and the impact this has on children’s progress. Where the practitioner has a good knowledge about each child’s learning and development, this is a characteristic of effective teaching

Well surely this is exactly what I am doing, I know there is a problem with his speech (not his understanding) and I am incorporating helping him with this in all planned and non planned activities. I also know he struggles putting on his shoes, its not that he cant do it, but he is lazy and mum will do it for him. The inspector was focusing on what he cant do rather than my knowledge of that and my ability to plan ways in which to develop these aspects.

Post Thanks / Like

Big hug - I have been there....

My first graded inspection was similar, but criticism about different things (they all seem to have their favourites :-/). I didn't complain, felt dreadful for months,nearly gave up, parents rallied round and said it made no difference to them that I was 'only Satisfactory'.

I have re-registered now and I am really not looking forward to being graded again. However... I really wish I had complained first time as I have since come across many other CMs in my local area who have had similar unfair treatment from the same inspector. Some have complained and had grades reinstated. If you don't complain, how do Ofsted know what is going on?

I really wish inspections weren't such a lottery :-(

As for how to complain, I think you just phone Ofsted and go through the phone system until you speak to the right person. But I would put it all down in an email or letter and work out a summary for the initial phone call.

Good luck.

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Her first name did not start with the letter S and last W was it? You poor thing, it feels very degrading, mine was a little like that but got a good. The reason she gave for not getting an Outstanding was minor and not at all true. Going to complain but I know my voice will fall on deaf ears!!

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

One more thing, you need to complain on line. Go into Ofsted web there will be a link.

Post Thanks / Like

Awwwww I fell ur pain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast