VARIATIONS (going mad)
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default VARIATIONS (going mad)

Hi everyone. I really need your help.

I have a mindee who comes to me for after school club. They have a sibling who is at nursery at the moment but would now like to share time between nursery and me. I have 3 under 5 everyday. My question is am I able to accommodate the sibling meaning I would have 4 under 5's for a general 9am-3pm approx 3 days a week?

Any advice is much appreciated. My brain seems to be fried!

Registered Childminder since
    july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

HI ,
    Yes you would, IMO . Obviously make sure you have sufficient space requirements, risk assess and think through how you will meet all lo's needs at critical times first

Post Thanks / Like

No unless the sibling is over 4 and is in school ( before and after school care only)

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by step11 View Post
    No unless the sibling is over 4 and is in school ( before and after school care only)
    not sure what u mean by this..have i missed something.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

as long as you are not over the 6 under 8, then i should think you are fine. you will be providing care for a sibling, just not a new baby type of sibling!

just write up a RA and ensure you have everything you need and can cope with 4 LO.

have fun xxx

Post Thanks / Like

The majority of my children are siblings and I have been very lucky on the numbers front. I hate saying no as I know how hard it is to find childcare in my area with me being the only childminder in my school catchment (one childminder has just relocated which I was gutted about as I was hoping we could have met up etc) but equally I am well aware of the rules/guidelines etc so like to know I'm doing everything as I should be.

Mar 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can do this as long as no more than 6 under 8. The variation is for a sibling so that's fine. As others have said you need to do a risk assessment of your own situation & how you can care for / address the needs of each combination of children.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you can.

The EYFS states that the continuity of care relates to new babies. I would check with Ofsted to make sure as these posts are only our opinions.

Some people think you can go over 3 under 5's to 6 but only if it meets the criteria.
    Debbie

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

from Ofsted factsheet July 2012 Reference no: 080293

The numbers and ages of children that providers on the Early Years and Childcare Registers may care for
    A childcare factsheet

7. Paragraph 3.29 in the EYFS also allows childminders to care for more children in the early years age group through an overarching ‘exceptional circumstances’ statement. We will normally interpret an exceptional circumstance as relating to the continuity of care for children and/or where sibling children are not babies. These are times where it may be in children’s best interests to be with their brothers and sisters who are already with a childminder, or to remain with the same childminder where circumstances may change the number of children the childminder can care for, such as a parent extending their working hours. This type of arrangement would end when either the parent adjusted their hours or a child left the childminder’s care. It does not give the permission to operate with more children in the early years age group at all times.

I would say yes as caring for sibling and in best interest to have siblings together
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

10. Likes vickie-marieo liked this post
    Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I would also take on a variation of this type as it is sibling.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rubybubbles View Post
    Thanks, that's the version I was looking for - changed a bit in a few months as usual! comes down to the same thing though
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

14. Likes Rubybubbles liked this post
    Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PixiePetal View Post
    Thanks, that's the version I was looking for - changed a bit in a few months as usual! comes down to the same thing though
    I needed it to email my parents a few weeks ago as need a variation myself for 2.5 hours on a tuesday after easter lol!

Post Thanks / Like

I was told you can have 4 under 5,s as long as one is 4+ and only for a few hours a day eg before a d after school care. Or am I mistaken

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by step11 View Post
    I was told you can have 4 under 5,s as long as one is 4+ and only for a few hours a day eg before a d after school care. Or am I mistaken
    No I think someone has confused you with rising 5's. if a child is 4 and in full time education you can count them in your 5-8 age range.

Variations cannot not be given for new business but if a current family has a sibling and they wish you to look after them you can grant variation to have 4 under 5's as long as you dont go over your 6 under 8's
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say Yes you can do this.
    FYI I had my inspection last week. I have 4 EY's children and due to parents shifts I sometimes need to have all 4 together. Mrs O could see from my attendance register that this is the case but she didn't mention it. I have granted myself an exception and have all the documents and RA for this on my PC but I forgot to print it off for her to see. She didn't ask me about it at all.

xxx