Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complaints

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Complaints

Are we allowed to know if someone has made a complaint against us but ofsted have yet to follow the complaint through? If I rang would they tell me if there was anything against me?

Thank you! X

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's unlikely they will be able to tell you - the call centre and compliance are different people.

Do you think someone has complained?

Make sure everything is completely up-to-date over the weekend and work as if you could get a visit any time for a while.

xx

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah

Well she's been bad mouthing me on Facebook as she's received a legal letter this week about an invoice she owes me from when she gave notice & she's put something along the lines of she has a meeting on Wednesday with ofsted. Is this what would happen or would it be all over the phone? The thing is the last time I had the children was November & the only reason she is saying these things now is because I'm chasing the money she owes me. (I've given her chance after chance to pay & she hasn't)

I know ofsted have to follow through all complaints & I'm happy for them to visit me I just really don't need the stress at the minute & I done so much for her 2 kids it's really got to me xx

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think it highly unlikely that she has a mtg with Ofsted! If I were you I would probably call Ofsted myself and tell them you are expecting a complaint and give them the background

xxxx

5. Likes mum24, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies! I've rang ofsted & they said I would be made aware if anything had been said against me & that all complaints are done over the phone or in writing they wouldn't have a meeting with anyone about it. She's also said she is going to go to the papers? Not sure what that would achieve surely they couldn't print her lies as that would be slander? Xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

She is fibbing and trying to scare you off. The paper will not print anything unless it is proved to be true. So dont fret about that
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Alice. I've never heard of a parent having a meeting with Ofsted.

It sounds like a lot of bluster from the parent, which only confirms my view that 90% of what goes on FB is pure masculine-bovine-excretions. I'd be tempted to run a 'print screen' on her FB tirade and hold onto it and any other such evidence.

If a newpaper publishes something untrue you could take them to court for libel or contact the Press Complaints Commission Press Complaints Commission >> Home Page >> Welcome (Slander is verbal, libel is in print.) I think it would have to be a very quiet day in the editorial office of a very minor local paper before they'd rush to print "Angry mum doesn't like her childminder" without checking the facts first. They'd be pretty stupid not to call and ask you to comment, and would be really stupid if they didn't drop it the moment they realised they'd been sold a pup by a defaulting mum on the wrong side of a contract dispute.

I'd still contact the legal team at your insurer/professional body, just to see what they advise.

9. Likes mum24, Kiddleywinks, wendywu liked this post
    Mar 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm always amazed when parents behave in this way - how crazy to finish in this way because you were pregnant, I guess she must have had other child care lined up.
    Well done for staying professional over fb etc. and sounds like it was helpful to contact Ofsted (at least they'll know the situation if she does contact them)
    Quite what she'd go to the papers with I don't know! That your pursuing her for non-payment?!?

11. Likes mum24 liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsty90 View Post
    Thanks Sarah

Well she's been bad mouthing me on Facebook as she's received a legal letter this week about an invoice she owes me from when she gave notice & she's put something along the lines of she has a meeting on Wednesday with ofsted. Is this what would happen or would it be all over the phone? The thing is the last time I had the children was November & the only reason she is saying these things now is because I'm chasing the money she owes me. (I've given her chance after chance to pay & she hasn't)

I know ofsted have to follow through all complaints & I'm happy for them to visit me I just really don't need the stress at the minute & I done so much for her 2 kids it's really got to me xx
    Ofsted will not get involved in any contractual or monetary disputes at all ever. They wouldn't discuss this over the phone never mind agree to an individual meeting with a parent.

Block her on FB. I never have parents as friends and they don't even know what I call myself on FB because I don't use my name.

13. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I They'd be pretty stupid not to call and ask you to comment, and would be really stupid if they didn't drop it the moment they realised they'd been sold a pup by a defaulting mum on the wrong side of a contract dispute.
    Which you wouldn't be able to tell them...!

I very much doubt she'll actually go to the papers, or if she did, doubt she would be taken seriously, however, if you ARE contacted, be very very VERY careful about what you say, as the confidentiality clause and data protection boundaries limits us professionally.

I like Bunyip's idea of taken a screen print though, of anything even remotely connected to you, and I'd keep that in the childs file.
    (Go to facebook, scroll down to the relevant text, and press the 'prt sc' (print screen) button. Open a blank word document, and click paste)

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies everyone!

I'm no longer friends with her on Facebook I was friends with her before I started minding that's the only reason she was on there in the first place. It was actually another parent that told me about what she had been writing about me & sent me the screen shots without me asking so it just shows she's not achieving anything by slagging me off in that way! I've kept everything together to do with the money dispute and also all the child's records etc. I've had no direct contact with her since she actually took the kids out of my care other than the letters I've sent chasing the money she owes. It's a county court matter now as that is the legal route I took so I will just wait to receive her reply in the next 14 days.

Thanks for all of your advice xx

sept 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I really do not understand people who bad mouth others on Facebook. I would never consider it no matter what the circumstances. I hope things work out for you x

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Do I have to display complaints procedure or can it just be within my policies?

Hi all, could anyone tell me if I have to display complaints procedure or can it just be within my policies?

Ps i'm new to this - hope I'm posting properly lol

sept 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I give all parents a copy of my complaints procedure along with details of how they can make a complaint should they need to.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Little Gems T View Post
    Hi all, could anyone tell me if I have to display complaints procedure or can it just be within my policies?

Ps i'm new to this - hope I'm posting properly lol
    EYFS does not require CMs to have a written policy/procedure for complaints. It does require Cms to be able to explain our policy to parents, and to make Ofsted contact details to them also. (Statutory Framework 3.3, 3.73 and 3.74 refer.)

Childcare Register regulations (CR7.1) states that a written complaints policy/procedure is required.

Therefore the simplest way to cover all the bases would be to have a written policy and to make it available to all parents, together with details of how to contact Ofsted. Up to you how you do this (in print, electronic, copy, etc.) It also makes sense to ensure that parents sign to say they've read all your policies (plus updates/revisions) and have the policies form part of the contract agreement.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    Which you wouldn't be able to tell them...!

I very much doubt she'll actually go to the papers, or if she did, doubt she would be taken seriously, however, if you ARE contacted, be very very VERY careful about what you say, as the confidentiality clause and data protection boundaries limits us professionally.
    That would depend entirely upon what you say. I wouldn't go so far as to say that you'd be going beyond you rights to make a limited statement, but agree with Kiddleywinks that "no comment" is quite probably the safer option.

Giving out contact details or personal information about the family would certainly not be allowed. Getting into an examination of the mum's character would be asking for trouble. A very short factual statement might be ok, such as, "I am in a contractual dispute with her over an outstanding payment; the matter is in the hands of the courts, so I'm unable to comment further. I have no reason to believe a complaint should have been made, as I run a very good service within the DofE rules and fully regulated by Ofsted." But do not take this as a suggestion or a recommendation!!! I am neither a PR consultant nor a lawyer.

I don't see how this would breach any part of the Data Protection Act and shouldn't breach confidentiality policy, unless the CM has tied herself up in knots with an over-restrictive policy. I can't judge on the specifics, having not seen the OP's policy.

I certainly agree that Kiddleywinks is right to advise extreme caution. Best not to comment to the press over anything these days as they have ways of softening you up and getting you to say more than you intend to (this is why some organisations actually run training on speaking to the media) and to seek legal adivce first.

21. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If the OP was contacted, do you think bursting out laughing would get her into trouble

23. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    If the OP was contacted, do you think bursting out laughing would get her into trouble
    On reflection, I think that's how I'd handle it.

25. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had a letter from the courts today to say she has issued a defence along with a copy of this defence. She's claiming I'd charged her wrong throughout the contract, she didn't agree to late fees & that the reason she left was due to issues with my service. She also put that she is currently working with the school liaison officer to our together a report for ofsted to investigate. I admit I calculated her fees wrong at the initial meeting when contracts were signed but informed her of this before the contract began to which she agreed & I have proof of this. It also states the late fees in my fees policy which I have written proof she agreed to all of my policies before the contract started.

I am so stressed out about this now as god knows what type of things she will make up about me to ofsted. I'm tempted to just drop it bcoz I'm 6 months pregnant & could do without any stress but really don't want her to think I agree with any of the claims she has made.

Any advice?

Thanks x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Now it's with the court you will have a certain length of time to reply.

You need to use it to disprove every single one of her arguments one by one - this is why written paperwork and signatures are so important.

She is clearly playing a game - don't let her upset you xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast