Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Variation - again.... Sorry!

I know we can apply our own variations under new EYFS, as we have a sibling starting Jan, so will be 1 over 2 days a week, but how far can this go?

As a background - I work with another cm, so we can have 6 under 5.

It's just I have a lo (i have mentioned before - numbers significantly dropped to to parent losing job). We have therefore, (after 3 months) replaced him. I can carry on until xmas as at most, if parent gets a job, I would have 7, 2 days, but my own DD would be at pre-school partly, both these days.

In jan I have new starters, so puts us over even more. Mum is pg, and will be going on mat leave in Feb (hence why we took the decision to replace him) Currently only doing 2 days, which can be flex, and fit around what we have until xmas.

Could we (not sure if I even want to after how much I feel we've been taken for granted), but just wondered, keep lo on if dad gets a job, until mum goes on mat leave - so approx 8 weeks? We would have 6,8, 8, 7, 7, throughout the week. We have equipment, buggies etc for them, just wondered in prev ofsted would've granted variation for 2 over before (although in effect only 1 over for each of us - which I've had lots!)

Lo is really hard to settle, and if dad does get a job, think it would be cruel to make him go somewhere else for just 8 weeks. Mum is taking a year off!!!

We would be under our total of 12 under 8's still too.

Sorry - just find this whole - self variation really confusing, and don't want to make a huge mistake.

xx

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bit confused, but as it stands you can grant yourself a variation only for continuity of care and siblings. Not for new business
    which the 2 in Jan are. Sorry if I have got it wrong but this is how I have understood it.
    Cath

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Variations are for varying the ages of your under 8s not the total number of under 8s.

Your total must never exceed 6 under 8s. Usually you can have 3 under 5 and 3 between 5-8 a variation comes into place for example a new baby sibling wants to come to you and would take you to 4 under 5s, this means you can now only have 2 5-8s not have baby as well as.

As you are working with an assistant and can have more you now need to stick to those numbers.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry really should have read that properly before replying! Didn't see the bit about total number being 12! I would have thought that if you have had variations before as long as you are keeping to the same rules applied before and not exceeding 12 then you would be fine IF it is for continuity or siblings not for new business.

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    Variations are for varying the ages of your under 8s not the total number of under 8s.

Your total must never exceed 6 under 8s. Usually you can have 3 under 5 and 3 between 5-8 a variation comes into place for example a new baby sibling wants to come to you and would take you to 4 under 5s, this means you can now only have 2 5-8s not have baby as well as.

As you are working with an assistant and can have more you now need to stick to those numbers.

I have same taught as samb
    Jas Bedi

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi ,
    I would say that if you took on new contract with the new starters in Jan thinking a current Lo would be leaving but then circumstances changed and Lo was staying for 8 extra weeks that would surely count as continuity of care, myself.

Before granting this variation though, I would do all risk asessements etc to make sure I can show that everyones needs will be met and check space requirements per x aged child too

Regarding your own daughter, she still counts in your numbers whether present or not....

Hope you can work something out so everyone's happy

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I take it you are registered for 3 under 5 each?

Have you checked planning because many areas say you need planning permission to have more than 6children in your home (not exactly sure of the wording)

I'm a bit confused over what you have now and what the changes will be.

You say you have replaced little one but can have him til Christmas as you have 7 (you can't grant yourself a variation for new business which by replacing lo and keeping him on Would be surely)

Then you say you have two new starters in January (this again Sounds like new business and not allowed)

Please advice if I've got things wrong as your post was a bit confusing.

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I'm fully aware it's not for new business, and our own DD still counts in numbers regardless of where she is (although after reading an ofsted report from 2 weeks ago - it seems this isn't the case as much any more - but that's a whole different subject.... :-) ) etc, etc....

I have replaced lo, as he has dropped down to 2 6 hour days a week, (from full time). As dad is at home, I tell them if I need them to do different days due to numbers, our plans etc, so although I've taken on new business to replace him, we are not working as more than 6 under 5. My OP meant if dad was to get a new job, which would mean him then re-changing contract, and upping hours again, then that's continuity of care, that we could go to 7 2 days a week until xmas.

I was asking about having 8 under 5's between us (which is really 4 each - which I have been granted numerous times when working alone), I guess 8 under 5 just sounds a lot more.... IF dad gets a job, and they need FT care between new year & feb, when mum goes on Mat leave.

As dad isn't working, and hasn't been since July, if he's still not working by xmas, then I won't feel bad saying we can't continue Jan & Feb, as they don't really need us anyway. I was just asking people's general advice....

Plus, one of the new children we potentially have starting in Jan hasn't actually signed contracts with us yet. It's a sibling of another child we care for, and mum has spoke to us on numerous occasions about it, but as yet not completed any paperwork as she's not sure about her job... So again - continuity of care - NOT new business!! In which case, if he doesn't start with us, then this won't even be an issue - I just like to have all the information ready in case we get asked, so we can plan and make the right decision.

xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know ...... Yes you can have 8 under 5 and could in fact have 12 under 5 between the 2 of you if it is not for new business ( who on earth would ever want that many though lol)

I have just had to grant my self a variation because I have a new starter that was signed up 7 months ago to use my dd's place when she started school. 2 sets of parents have since changed days with me so including this new lo that hadn't yet started but was contracted, I would have 4 under 5's on a couple of days. So it may look like I have a new starter taking the 4th space but it is actually the parents that have been with me for more than 20 months
    Jane xxx