Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Biter child advice

I have a parent who would like me to have her 18 month old. He was at nursery and developed a biting habit and has pulled him out of nursery. I have not had a biter before and am after advice.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Pipsqueak Guest

two options:

a) remove their teeth

b) fit them with a hannibal lecter style mask

Oct 02
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    two options:

a) remove their teeth

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to keep them in your constant sight, it is really exhausting because you have to have eyes in the back of your head.

Or Velcro them to you
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

mar09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    two options:

a) remove their teeth

OOOh PIP!! I wanted to be the one advising the muzzle....whingy voice

*stamp feet*

so unfair!!!!

mar09
    Post Thanks / Like

use a prison.... i mean a play pen!

when you need to leave them for a minute put them in the play pen with toys.

if they bite put them in play pen without toys

Pipsqueak Guest

aren't we naughty.. Sunday Frolics

sorry OP

Like Wendy says you will have to be extra vigilant.

Find out the triggers - do they bite from frustration, try to get own way, overwhelming emotions, tiredness and so on..

once you know the triggers you can go some way to averting disaster!

Keep the child with you at all times and within arms reach. Be ready to distract and intervene.
    Use a firm 'no biting' voice

if someone is bitten then tend to the wounded, tell the child what wasn't acceptable

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

keep them with you, take them with you when you leave the room.

a recent training course i went to had research which showed if you can identify when it's about to happen, distract (and not mention what was going to happen) for a few weeks - the behaviour will self-extinguish - exhausting to watch over it though
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I have first hand experience of what you said The Juggler, my DS was the biter, at 17 months he decided to start on the other mindees and then turned on children at toddler group. It was a really difficult few months but I persevered with watching him like a hawk and intervening before he bit anyone and sure enough after two months he stopped.

If he did actually bite someone I'd get him to go into the hallway whilst I comforted the other child, this was to help the other child calm down quicker rather than as an exclusion to him, he normally went out happily with a smile on his face.

I missed the toddler groups for two weeks as I felt unable to watch him as easily, then when I went back I had support from other childminders as extra eyes for me. I read some books and the best bit I came away with was that it's like they are conducting their own science experiment rather than going feral.

I spent a lot of time talking about being happy and sad, using faces we saw in books (the classics like Thomas the tank engine are filled with expressions), along with sign language helped to clarify these with him. Now my DS seems to understand that it's much more fun when he is around happy friends rather than sad ones.

My husband made a point of stopping most boisterous play too as he was worried it may have been encouraging it. We also gave him a lot more apples as it was suggested he could be teething! he would spend a good time biting the apples but I'm not convinced on that one.

I hope if you do decide to take care of the LO they like the change of environment and they keep their teeth to themselves.

Good luck

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for advice
    Child started biting at nursery and parent pulled him out of nursery. Currently with a childminder and for some reason mom is still not happy and has asked if I still have a place available. In the mornings he would be the only child with me and in the afternoons I will have a 3 year old as well so I am hoping that with less children about he might forget about it. Just waiting to see if get back to me about place.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBuds View Post
    I have first hand experience of what you said The Juggler, my DS was the biter, at 17 months he decided to start on the other mindees and then turned on children at toddler group. It was a really difficult few months but I persevered with watching him like a hawk and intervening before he bit anyone and sure enough after two months he stopped.

If he did actually bite someone I'd get him to go into the hallway whilst I comforted the other child, this was to help the other child calm down quicker rather than as an exclusion to him, he normally went out happily with a smile on his face.

I missed the toddler groups for two weeks as I felt unable to watch him as easily, then when I went back I had support from other childminders as extra eyes for me. I read some books and the best bit I came away with was that it's like they are conducting their own science experiment rather than going feral.

I spent a lot of time talking about being happy and sad, using faces we saw in books (the classics like Thomas the tank engine are filled with expressions), along with sign language helped to clarify these with him. Now my DS seems to understand that it's much more fun when he is around happy friends rather than sad ones.

My husband made a point of stopping most boisterous play too as he was worried it may have been encouraging it. We also gave him a lot more apples as it was suggested he could be teething! he would spend a good time biting the apples but I'm not convinced on that one.

I hope if you do decide to take care of the LO they like the change of environment and they keep their teeth to themselves.

Good luck
    that is really good to hear first hand experience that this technique works hon. well done you I had a biter when I first started minding, watched him like a hawk but always mentioned what he was about to do and of course he got attention for it -so I probably ended up making it worse. It was so bad in end at least 2 people a day got bitten.

glad it worked for you
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got