Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Inspection Time

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Inspection Time

Hi everyone,

I am very nervous i am due to receive my first inspection soon and i was wondering what to expect and also what documents etc i need to have to hand to show them?

And also with the new EYFS do i need know all the new parts of it even though it doesn't come into force till sept.

If anyone can help it would be a massive help for me

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No advice as such I'm afraid (I'm due my first inspection next week!) but just wanted to wish you good luck.
    Make sure all your policies and procedures and Risk Assessments are up to date!

Re EYFS - I'm pretty sure that you don't need to worry about it till Sept but someone else may be along soon who knows more.

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Amylou

Had my first inspection today. Regarding the new EYFS told them that I was still getting used to Eyfs and didn't want to confuse myself and as it doesn't come into force until Sept I was going to book into local course at that time and wouldn't look into it until August!
    She took it quite well!!!

Oh and I got a GOOD! yeah me!

sep2011
    Post Thanks / Like

I have got mine on Monday will let you know what they say regarding new EYFS and what they ask to see on this inspection! so nervous!

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Wonderwomen

Regarding EYFS make sure you have gone through stat guide regarding all areas of welfare requirements. Physically tick of make comments in the booklet etc to show that you have reviewed you practice. Any thing that is not relevant for your setting say in the margins so they have seen you have read through everything. regarding new EYFS have a copy printed off and place in you paperwork and make a huge note in your diary to look at it in the future months I gave her my diary which contained all future dates including fire drills with different children 1 in holiday with over 8's, review of policies RA and Courses and next year dated are put in the back page. it has a check list of start up paperwork. I have 3 pouches(baby to toddler, Preschool to 8, and over 8) ready which included parent info booklet, child details/permissions book and diary and additional form for other settings information sharing. LJ I made sure every photo was linked to eyfs so eg painting (exploring media and materials, using tools etc get my drift make sure they are dated with child month age)

So I was in garden when she arrived so made her wait at my front door until I had everyone in the house so coat shoes etc greeted her with 1 trouser leg rolled up but hey still checked her ID and took down her number and made her fill in the visitors book. LOL even showed her the post it note on my door to remind myself saying that I was so nervous about my inspection that normal procedure might get mucked up in my poor little brain!!!!!! broke the ice. Introduced her to the children explained in very simple terms for the reason for her visit (come to see if Abby was doing a good job looking after them) and that she would be writing things down. At that point I had made her so welcome my youngest mindee launched into convo about dogs kept her talking till I made a cup of tea.
    Oh just seen the time better go speak more later

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks absmum23, Ive got my first inspection next week so your advice is a great help. I didnt know we needed to know anything about the new EYFS yet so I wouldnt have a clue if she asked, but will do what you said.
    Did you leave you Stats. Reqs. booklet out for her to look at? Hadnt thought about writing things down in there as thought she would only look at MY paperwork.
    Ive been running around like a headless chicken cleaning everything in sight, even painted the hall! Next couple of days will be revising EYFS but cant seem to remember anything!! And I get so nervous in 'interview' type situations I'll remember even less
    Love this site, its so helpful, I'd be lost without it
    Last edited by CH1957; 14-04-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    Back again,
    so as the morning went on just carried on as normal was quite honest and told her what I was doing. So after a nappy change (don't forget your gloves - mine live on the bathroom window sill v. obvious!). I told her I was popping out to the bin to dispose the nappy. told the children as well and left the house closing the kitchen gate on came back in and washed my hands and carried on. spent most of the time in a different room so just verbalized all the time(I have a makaton user so this is normal to encourage speech). When youngest mindee was being grumpy and distructive I removed him from the activity and we did something else but as usual I say everything " lets close the book and go get the new play dough out and make hot cross buns" which is what we did. Explained later that the mindee had a pattern of behaviour which leads to an ignition point so I use distraction.
    I never did a sef but will start on working on one for next inspection, but what I did have was a note book which is my list of things to do people to ring and information to find and websites I rate. I started this last year after I applied and if I came across something which would be good for my business it goes in the book. I showed her my daily risk assesment book which has my cleaning rota which is dated and also my planning sheet which I do monthly and then pad out as the weeks go on eg start with topic, break it into weekly then for the week I will have a song,book, craft activity, over 3s activities, special occasions & festivals (eg mothers day Holi)then individual planning, last week was eggs, rabbits and chicks, this week was hot cross buns and egg hunts. I made hot cross buns with the over 3's but made play dough ones with unders. Put the song "hot cross buns" into our song book with buns and pennies that can be removed (thanks to velcro) buns coloured in by older children and laminated.
    Other things I showed her was books I have been reading, my original premises RA my fire drill book and fridge temp book. Also I showed her the access audit I had done and the inclusion audit(see sarah's e-books) that I planned to do. It was only in the area of promoting inclusion and diversity that I had got questioned on. I pointed out that at various stages my mindees will acquire awareness of the community around them and that I was teaching children to respect others. I gave examples of a fellow childminder who we have regular contact with and she has mindees from several different cultures and pointed out that the children saw the children as friends and nothing different. I also told her that I personally have pledged to put 50% of my earnings away to pay for tax and the rest to go on resources of which would include toys to promote inclusion and diversity. I also demonstrated that I have continued to study and expand my knowledge. I have also have previous experience with additional needs as one of my children has dyspraxia and another is gifted, my niece has cerebral palsy and both my parents are registered disabled and minded additional needs child who was ADHD and Autism so she didn't ask me much on that for some reason!!! She didn't ask me about my attendance register but as she came in the front door it was beside the visitors book and didn't check my accident book but i had already showed her my travel first aid kit which i carry kids photo id's in and a blank accident/incident form and a pen for recording instantly. she did ask about the children's personal records which I told her were not kept downstairs and where locked in a briefcase and I only know the combination! said she was happy with that and didn't need to see them!

so after a morning of the smallest mindee being drawn towards the tv unit(well his head anyway!) to the point of me being very rude and getting up and moving him out of the area several times I get given the news that I'm graded GOOD. I get a bit emotional that's the sort of person I am and so get a bit weepy. At that point my 9 year old daughter tells me she so proud and that I had worked very hard to be good. well that was the final straw tension gone flood gates open. So that's how you get a Ofsted inspector out of you house LOL

Good luck next week , be nervous as it means your human, there is no point being anything but yourself as it will show. Oh and you can almost bet money on the fact that your mindee's will say or do something out of order because they have an audience. Just deal as normal.

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for all this detail. It has given me some pointers.
    What is the access and inclusion audit?

Cheetjac
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

see sarah's e-books think you can find a link in here somewhere maybe shop and help button

sep2011
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all that just made me panic slighlty. Need to stop reading now! What is done is done, see how I get on in the morning.

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

my bad
    go to free resources and free downloads scroll down to useful information you will find access audit.
    For link to e-books go to search and type in "sarah's e-books" and a link will come up among the posts to Knutbush minding, I think it cost me about £4 and came down via email and I printed it off. I haven't completed it as I want to do it with my whole family give them an idea of what inclusion means.
    I have had several books off Sarah and find them very useful to my business and put them on the accounts.
    good luck everyone hope it goes well

Nov 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank for everyone's help my inspection seems less daunting now

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by absmum23 View Post
    Hi Amylou

Had my first inspection today. Regarding the new EYFS told them that I was still getting used to Eyfs and didn't want to confuse myself and as it doesn't come into force until Sept I was going to book into local course at that time and wouldn't look into it until August!
    She took it quite well!!!

Oh and I got a GOOD! yeah me!

Well done you!!!

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Found out today I have an inspection next week, so thanks AbsMum23 your advice was very helpful, i'm feeling very nervous to be honest.

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry you don't need an accessibility/inclusion audit - its a nice touch that you are hoping to be graded "Outstanding" - I have one but my inspector didn't look at it - I'm sure I mentioned it in my SEF though - (my whole inspection was based on my SEF). What did do do was take interest in what resources I have with positive images etc.

Please don't think that I'm saying if you want to be graded Outstanding you need to have an accessibility audit in place - you don't but it may be one of those nice touches that impresses an inspector and swing a decision on that part of your inspection from Good to Outstanding. The trouble with our inspections is we have no idea what each individual inspector looks for or considers that extra special touch.

I hope this helps - Its a horribly worrying time - and I'm so pleased mine is over .

As I said in another post if an inspector makes you nervous try to do the following - 1) remember that she is a guest in you home and you are in charge. 2) try to imagine her on the loo or in the nip so she is feeling as insecure as you and as human as you. 3) tell her she is making you nervous and ask her to rephrase her question 4) be brave and ask her why she is saying something or asking something if you think she is out of order or being picky or even wrong - 5) lastly be prepared to tell her you don't agree and have Ofsteds number at the ready to give them a call while she is there - this is the hardest one - practice it to yourself over and over between now and your inspection to make you a little more brave.

I like most others was lucky and had a perfectly reasonable inspector but there are one or 2 out there who are OTT and out of order and they need to know that and know we are not stupid individuals that can be walked on.

I hope this helps
    Celest

Nov 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive got my inspection date for the 11th may, every time i think about it i feel sick