Next steps nightmare!!!  Help!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Next steps nightmare!!! Help!!

In my learning journals is use the EYFS Development Matters Overview. When I do an observation I fill in a little Obs sheet and link it to the area on the Overview. I then write a next steps for this observation. My problem is that I now have 2 X A4 sheets with next steps on and it is growing all the time. I have marked a few off as being reached and linked to another obs, but because i am adding them so quickly it is getting out of control. I have been told that i do too much but i have also been told that i mustn't forget my next steps???? Do you really need to do a next steps for each obs? It seems to me that next steps and the medium term plan are much the same thing, yay, nay??

Please help, really beginning to do my noggin in.

xxxxxx

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No sometimes there is no next steps

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think you need to take a step back and look at how much and what you are writing.

Like you say there's no point doing lots if it doesn't support the child.

You need a few obs - maybe 4 a month for a part timer plus a photo or maybe 2.

For full timers you would do slightly more... but keep them short and saying something about the child.

From the obs a lot of next steps will say 'continue' or 'do more' or 'consolidate' rather than something new... you can show you have done these through the child's individual planning.

Some obs will not need a next steps - it will be enough to record the obs because it's something you want to share with parents.

Of course some will lead you to try something new for the child. It is here when you will want to think carefully about the next steps and how it will support the child's learning and development and come back to it later to show it's been covered.

Hth

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont always have next steps as sometimes things are 'continuous and ongoing' so its more of the same with supporting and extending wherever possible...

I also do obs on 'wow moments' but again these often have no next steps

JUNE 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't your next step be to continue working towards a previous unreached step? I usually focus on a couple of main 'goals' at a time ( obviously with flexibility).

Dec 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah.

You are right I need to take a look at how much I do. I have got so behind in my journals that i will just draw a line underneath what i have done and start from scratch. I have been told to use the Overview sheet, but it is a very scary document. 100s of different development areas that need to be crossed off, apparently. Might have to take a look at one of your books.