Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default In a total boggle with planning :-(

Hi all

Just when I thought I was doing everything right apparently im not!

Its not helping that my EYFS pack has vanished!!

Can anyone help me with next steps - how often do u do them? do u just do them when u do a main observation? do u use next steps from the eyfs pack or make them up deciding on what u feel is right?

Could anyone show me some obs sheets you use please?

Im having sleeless nights over this now :-(

Many thanks
    Network and Support Childminder Ofsted rated "Good"

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Who says you are not doing it right? There is no absolute right and wrong way - you have to make it work for you.

You watch and listen and write it down if it's relevant to the child's learning and development.

You reflect on what you have seen and use the development matters guidance to help.

You think about how the child can move on... sometimes! It might be that the child has achieved something or needs to consolidate first.

You look back at your obs and next steps and you think about what the child has achieved since you wrote them.

You ask parents for their thoughts and include them.

It's a never ending cycle... and I am sure you are doing it every day

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

there are a coulple of wys I do next steps

child a is playing on the trampoline, I know from previous obs that the child likes balls - so a next step might be to introduce balls onto he trampoline as a different play experience. Or child B is playing with the shop every day, next step might be to change the shop to a cafe and extend their play experience.

So this next step is linked to their specific interest and extending it.

Or

I make an ob on a child and they have accessed mark making for the firs time, next step might be to offer other mark making opportunites or extending their mark making with additional materials and combining materials used.

Or

I might be looking at their tracker and note that a child doesn't have anything t o evidence their knowledge of numbers. There next step might be to do number work whilst they are playing with a self chosen activity. So child is playing with cars and you might ask them to drive to different numbers dotted around the room.

hope that helps
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, don't think I would put balls on the trampoline tbh. If the child likes balls you could get different sized ones and different sized tubes for the balls to roll through (psrn), ball painting, skittles, marbles (age dependent), ball tent.........
    If a child can do a 5 piece puzzle with ease, you offer them a slightly more challenging puzzle with more pieces or smaller pieces, if a child is trying to put on their own shoes or coat you provide time for them to practice or dolls and clothes to practice, show them different types of fastenings ie; zips, poppers, velcro, buttons...... if a child shows an interest in numbers you could sing counting songs using fingers, sort items into groups, count stairs as you walk up with child, how many red cars on the school run........ play shops you could take a trip to the real shops, make shopping lists with words/pictures of things to find.
    (I've just used the above examples of obs to look at other possible next steps)
    Last edited by green puppy; 07-11-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by green puppy View Post
    Hi, don't think I would put balls on the trampoline tbh.
    Why can't you put a child and balls on a tramp together? I didn't say how my child liked to play on the tramp - I use my tramp for all manner of activities from sitting down and rolling balls to making into a huge den to play in. So rather than just carte blanche dismiss my idea as unsafe or unsuitable - perhaps ask how I would go about doing that? oh and if I did choose to put balls on the tramp - I thought you would have read between the lines that I had risk assesed it - chosen the right balls for the right acitivity and the right child.

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uf353432 View Post
    Why can't you put a child and balls on a tramp together? I didn't say how my child liked to play on the tramp - I use my tramp for all manner of activities from sitting down and rolling balls to making into a huge den to play in. So rather than just carte blanche dismiss my idea as unsafe or unsuitable - perhaps ask how I would go about doing that? oh and if I did choose to put balls on the tramp - I thought you would have read between the lines that I had risk assesed it - chosen the right balls for the right acitivity and the right child.
    This is my personal opinion! Can't see where I have written that I dismissed your idea as unsafe or otherwise? What you do is your own business, I don't think there is any reason for you to take my comment personally and respond like you have.

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

look not trying to wage war here - I gave an example about extending a childs enjoyment of being on the trampoline - I used balls as a way that that might extend that enjoyment.

You said that you wouldn't use balls on a tramp and if you want to extend a childs ball play you could use one of the many examples you gave - which were all perfectly valid 'IF' I was looking to extend ball play/use/enjoyment.

Aside from the fact that my example was extending the enjoyment of the tramp - not ball play - your comment about 'I wouldn't use balls on a tramp' was totally irrelevant in answering the OP post and therefore I asked why wouldn't you? seriously I'm interested why you wouldn't because although I have risk assessed it - perhaps you have had an experience that may give me pause to consider it again? maybe i've not considered something that you can easily see - so help me out here.....