Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Losing my confidence :-(

Hi Everyone,

I really need some advice/help that I am going along the right lines with my planning and activites, I was registered in Feb this year and had my first child start in May who is now 2 years old they attend 2 days a week, This week I have a new 14 month old starting who will be doing 3 days a week. I have my child to who is 17 months.

I have a theme each month that I cover so for example last month it was shapes, space and measure. We did things like buscuit making, shape painting, ball pool fun, shape sorters, songs and books about the topic etc etc. When I had the one child for 2 days it was easy to get activities to cover the topic for both days which I would mix with child led play and free play but now I have the second child for 3 days I am struggling to fill each day with activity ideas! (I hope you are still with me.......)

I guess my question is can I just do a few activities to cover the topic each week (if the children want to do it) and then complete basic activities to run in line with the childrens development for the rest of the week?

We do Playdoh, drawing, painting, garden play (chalk drawing, see saw, slide, gardening, football, bubbles etc) I worry that I dont have enough toys as well as often the children seem to get restless so quickly and begin acting up a little bit, this is really knocking my confidence as I feel I give them my full attention and am always offering ideas and going along with their games..........maybe I am just having a bad few weeks

Just to give you a basic idea, I have shape sorters, building blocks, lots of instruments, few battery toys like dj music machine, cuddley toys, sand/water pit, wooden cars etc etc. If anyone has any tips of toys they would not be without??

I would really appreciate some of the more experienced minders to give me a few tips and ideas and if there are any improvements I can make.

Thanks in advance

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

A few big cardboard boxes are always good and cheap Kids of that age don't need much planning. Just see what they like doing and build on that.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You have talked about your themed activities and your continuous provision planning (the toys you have out all the time) but you haven't mentioned how you plan for each child's interests and individual needs.

The child likes playing with the playdough... so you add sparkles or a smell.

The child enjoys pushing a buggy up and down the garden... you provide some water play to extend his interests.

Parents say child went to the zoo at the weekend... you plan some zoo animal activities.

Things like that

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank guys your posts have been a real help!

Yes sorry I did forget to say anything about that I have been doing the individual planning one of my children does love playdoh so have got colours/tools and will be expanding with that one. Also loves to organise and build so bricks is a good one, Mum saw he enjoyed so much in daily diary so got some for home.

My second child is so new still watching and making notes about forward plannig for her.

I think I worry as their interests are the same thing for so long I run out of inspiration on how to change and add to the experience.

Aug 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

have you looked at your EYFS practice guidance? the final column, planning and resourcing, is quite useful in this respect.

dec1987
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    You have talked about your themed activities and your continuous provision planning (the toys you have out all the time) but you haven't mentioned how you plan for each child's interests and individual needs.

The child likes playing with the playdough... so you add sparkles or a smell.

The child enjoys pushing a buggy up and down the garden... you provide some water play to extend his interests.

Parents say child went to the zoo at the weekend... you plan some zoo animal activities.

Things like that
    Hi Sarah I have been a childminder a long time, twenty four years and was graded outstanding for my last inspection , however I am struggling with what you have said about water play to extend interest for a child pushing a buggy up and down as one of my mindees love s playing with the dolls and buggy, can you explain or am I just being super dumb thanks

7. Likes green4lynn, sarah707 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joan21plus View Post
    Hi Sarah I have been a childminder a long time, twenty four years and was graded outstanding for my last inspection , however I am struggling with what you have said about water play to extend interest for a child pushing a buggy up and down as one of my mindees love s playing with the dolls and buggy, can you explain or am I just being super dumb thanks
    have you come across schemas? They are repeated patterns of play recognised by early years professionals as ways of supporting children to learn new things.

When a child pushes a pram up and down, lines things up, throws repeatedly etc they are learning through a schema known as trajectory.

Another trajectory interest is water play - especially watching water drop through things and move in lines.

Here are some more ideas - Schemas - dorsetforyou.com. if you are a gold childcare.co.uk member I have written about schemas in more detail for the site

9. Likes bulldog liked this post
    dec1987
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post

have you come across schemas? They are repeated patterns of play recognised by early years professionals as ways of supporting children to learn new things.

When a child pushes a pram up and down, lines things up, throws repeatedly etc they are learning through a schema known as trajectory.

Another trajectory interest is water play - especially watching water drop through things and move in lines.

Here are some more ideas - Schemas - dorsetforyou.com. if you are a gold childcare.co.uk member I have written about schemas in more detail for the site
    Thanks Sarah just read up via the link you sent and it makes sense