How much of you long term planning do you actually do?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How much of you long term planning do you actually do?

Out of my long term planning, monthly theme, festivals etc. (which I do sort of 6 months in advance) I'm only actually using about 50% I am prioritising the individual planning, which is done on a week by week basis.

Is this right?
    Buttons xx

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I look at my planning month by month. I keep all the old planning which has been useful so that I have lots of ideas covering the whole year. I do try to keep things moving but sometimes it depends upon the children that are here. In the holidays its much easier as the timetable is so much different than in termtime for me.

I have never worried too much if it all goes to pot really - the emphasis should be on ensuring that the children develop and have lots of opportunities. If its done by following the chidlrens lead with whatever they want to do then thats fine. Having the planning available means that there is always something to do and I never run out of ideas.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The older children love my long term planning! They have lots of ideas themselves and get really involved in it all.

I stick to individual planning for the little ones and they tend to join in with the activities for older ones at the end of the day.

Mar 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Now I'm getting confused, I always thought of this as long term planning, but I have also read threads where lists of resources are referred to as long term planning, am I right in thinking that this is actually continuous provision as opposed to ltp?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieM View Post
    Now I'm getting confused, I always thought of this as long term planning, but I have also read threads where lists of resources are referred to as long term planning, am I right in thinking that this is actually continuous provision as opposed to ltp?
    Lists of resources, how they meet the Eyfs and which you get out each day are your continuous provision.

Long term planning are things like Chinese New Year, Red Nose day, Easter etc.

Mar 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah. I will understand all this one day!

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

It might be helpful to see it, not as long term planning, but as topic planning or events and festivals planning. Plan appropriate activities, but keep it flexible as to when to introduce the topic activities, so that you can concentrate on being responsive to the interests and needs of the children, as that is more important.

I operate the K System for learning and development which is very clear about different kinds of planning including continuous provision, which I have found to be a really important part of my practice. I would recommend anyone not using continuous provision to start. It's a fantastic way of planning for group and individual needs without the need for loads of paperwork. You can even incorporate mini topics, including the current interests of the children. When Ofsted inspect you can just talk them through the plan for that week, and tell them why you've planned as you have.

Any activities that you do spontaneously in response to what a child expresses an interest in, you can just make a quick record about afterwards.

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Button68 - I was quite confused by your question to be honest.

I don't do that much planning and just go with the flow really. I should say written planning! How much planning ahead do you need to do something for CNY or a valentines card?

onceinabluemoon Guest

I usually only end up doing about half of it too.

There is always a child who is too tired, or who is excited by something else, or the weather is not as expected or something else that means planning gets scrapped and we do something else instead - spontaneous things tend to be more fun too as there's less 'expectation' of what will come out of it so no disappointment, lol

feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Louise please could you give more information about the K system, i have never heard of it but it sounds great

April05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i would love to know more too sounds great
    me x

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catswhiskers View Post

I don't do that much planning and just go with the flow really. I should say written planning! How much planning ahead do you need to do something for CNY or a valentines card?
    Quite simply my Long Term Planning comprises of festivals, events and themes - as pointed out by Sarah. When things are rolling well I have these written up 6 months in advance.

Yes planning for Valentines or CYN isn't rocket science. However, I do still forward plan which activities/crafts we are going to do. Ensure that I have all resources needed (after all what would become of Valentines day if I had run out of red paint ) I also check back through the previous year to check I haven't already done a particular thing then.

All I was saying is that looking back as to what I have written in the Long Term Planning I noticed a fair bit has fell by the wayside in favour of the day to day; week to week individual interests planning.
    Buttons xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catswhiskers View Post

Long term planning / group planning to cover festivals or celebrations including things such as multicultural and global events (Chinese New Year, Holi if your children understand this, Christmas, Easter, Valentine's Day etc), National events (Red Nose Day, Hearing Dogs for the Deaf week etc), local events (fire station open day etc), important special days (birthdays, weddings, Christenings) etc etc can be written long in advance.

Then you would tweak the planning when you get closer to the event to meet children's needs.

Long term planning is not just about making a card... it is about introducing the concept of the special day / week to the children.

So for Valentines you might...

Psed - talk about who we love

Cll - read a book or poem about love

Psr&n - plan to look at heart shapes etc... all this needs planning to show Ofsted that you know what you are doing with reference to the Eyfs.

Most childminders have a folder of ideas for covering events through the year with pull outs from magazines, activities downloaded from the internet etc... then John enjoys a certain activity and you plan some fun for him based on the special day and his interests.

Such planning is best done for the over 3s but if little ones want to join in then great!

I hope this clarifies

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Long term planning is not just about making a card... it is about introducing the concept of the special day / week to the children.
    This concept only sunk if after getting your planning book Sarah. Now I try to cover each area of learning when planning each festival/event Maybe I'm a bit of a saddo but sometimes enjoy the challenge
    Buttons xx

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

To Clare78 and watgem

I wouldn't want you to think I had ignored your request for more information. However, I have previously posted a couple of replies to you that have not made it on to the system. I've just found out that you have to have permission before you can recommend something on the forum. I'm new to this so I didn't know.

Sorry I can't help further.

Louise X
    Last edited by Louise Jones; 24-02-2011 at 05:06 PM.