Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Too much paperwork/planning?!

This week was my first week with first mindee - 6 months old.
    I've started off doing my paperwork/planning as follows:

LO's routine sheet typed out

General Weekly planning for my planning folder with a space for each day and notes as to how day went - this would include all children if I had more than one.

Monthly evaluation sheet divided into weeks - my own idea of a reflections sheet to try and show how I am adapting and improving!! (but now thinking that perhaps this is just duplicating the notes bit on my general plan?)

LO's individual plan consisting of daily obs, links to EYFS and then next steps (idea of this one was to try and show progressive learning but it's getting a bit repetitive writing down obs for each day as they are very similar - even though they are only small things!) This goes in LO's file.

Specific Observation sheet - this would be for something "big" eg LO crawled to reach blah blah blah.........

I've then got a monthly planning sheet which I havn't used yet, thought it was probably more suitable for when LO is older and I will be planning more activities.

I was anticipating having to change my planning a few times until I found something that works so any comments and ideas would be gratefully received. At the moment it seems a bit repetative and that I am just duplicating myself!

Thanks in advance!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Too much paperwork/planning?!

Quote Originally Posted by judisteve View Post
    This week was my first week with first mindee - 6 months old.
    I've started off doing my paperwork/planning as follows:

LO's routine sheet typed out

Good one! Make sure parents get a copy as well

General Weekly planning for my planning folder with a space for each day and notes as to how day went - this would include all children if I had more than one.

Not really needed for a 6 month old. Best kept for older children.

Monthly evaluation sheet divided into weeks - my own idea of a reflections sheet to try and show how I am adapting and improving!! (but now thinking that perhaps this is just duplicating the notes bit on my general plan?)

When you have older children on your books you could put a short evaluation section at the bottom of your planning sheet.

It's not about writing a huge amount, rather noting what went well / badly / could be improved etc.

LO's individual plan consisting of daily obs, links to EYFS and then next steps (idea of this one was to try and show progressive learning but it's getting a bit repetitive writing down obs for each day as they are very similar - even though they are only small things!) This goes in LO's file.

Good! this document is key to your individual planning / obs cycle and the one you will use most as it is ongoing

Specific Observation sheet - this would be for something "big" eg LO crawled to reach blah blah blah.........

I have some as well.

The other day a lo put his coat on by himself for the first time and decorated his obs sheet after I wrote it up.

You could also use it to note specific milestones which parents tell you about.

I've then got a monthly planning sheet which I havn't used yet, thought it was probably more suitable for when LO is older and I will be planning more activities.

Yes I'd just go with individual stuff for now

I was anticipating having to change my planning a few times until I found something that works so any comments and ideas would be gratefully received. At the moment it seems a bit repetative and that I am just duplicating myself!

Thanks in advance!
    I hope my comments help!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you need to do daily obs - as you say, you'll find yourself writing the same things if you do.

I don't have a planning sheet for this age but I do have an ideas sheet where I just jot down things to try based on what I've seen mindee do/enjoy or what the parent's told me they've done at home.

HTH's

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for both your replies!!

Yes, parents have a copy of the care plan!

I have a general ideas sheet for baby toys/activites listed under the 6 areas of learning. So the only other thing I really need is my individual planning/obs/notes. However at the moment this is divided into the five days and then for each day I have the headings: obs, links to EYFS and next steps. However, I'm finding that each day he pretty much does the same thing so there isn't really a new obs to write down.

Would I be better not dividing it into day and just having it as a general weekly one or do Ofsted expect to see specific planning for each day?

Other idea I wondered about was to put weekly ideas under the 6 learning area headings and then make comments on what LO does - but this will then be duplicating the baby activity ideas sheet?

Have I got the headings too specific? Should I maybe have ideas for today, obs/notes, links to EYFS, next steps??

When linking to the EYFS do you write out the whole statement it links to or just the area(s) of learning?

Sorry to have gone on - hope someone can see what I'm getting at - (how do I upload my paperwork as a link - might be easier to see what I'm getting at?!) Should be trying to relax at weekends not have planning going round and round in my head!!!!

Hope someone can reassure/advise.

Thanks a lot
    Judi

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have all part timers and my individual obs / planning paperwork covers a month on one side of A4.

It is divided into 5 weeks and each week I note - things the child enjoys, things I have planned for the child and links to the Eyfs

On the back I note things parents / other settings have said and next steps ideas.

You can use the manage attachments button (scroll down a bit) if you want to attach something for everyone to look at.

You can take it off at any time using your user cp in the top left of your screen.

Hth

Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

OK - I get the feeling my planning sheet is going to change frequently!!! I assume Ofsted are ok with this as it shows natural progression?! (do you have to justify changes to them?)

So, I am still using a general weekly plan as it's working for me so I know what ideas I've got for each day. I'm including my own children on this as I'm finding it helps the day run smoothly as they are occupied as well as mindee! I'm also hoping it might get me some Brownie points with Ofted as it shows my understanding of planning for older cihldren too?! (I'm expecting inspection in Nov/Dec and will only have 6 month old mindee)

I have also got a planning/obs sheet for mindee (6 month old baby) I have taken the days of the week off of this as it was too restrictive. (Is that ok or will they want to see daily comments? - sometimes I only have mindee for a couple of hours per day) Do I have to cross link these e.g. by writing see weekly plan dated......, see so and so's individual plan?

I may use long term planning too - purely becasue I find it useful to have some ideas of things to do at certain times of the year e.g. September - harvest, October - Autumn, December - Winter, Christmas etc.

I've tried to attach the paperwork I use (hope it's worked?!) any comments welcome!

Thanks in advance for helpful comments!!!
    Judi
    Attached Files Attached Files

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They look good - very similar to how I work.

The obs can be something you see / hear or something the child says or something from the parents / other setting.

The next steps is your individual planning...

Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The planning/obs sheet is my individual planning - does it need to contain something else?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The planning/obs sheet is my individual planning - does it need to contain something else?
    Sorry I don't understand the question...

All I meant was that when you are filling in obs, you can get them from a variety of sources.

Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post

I thought this comment was suggesting I still needed to do individual planning?

I realise obs can come from a variety of places and then be linked to EYFS and then provide ideas for next steps which is then where you get your plans from.

Guess I was asking if the format of my paperwork included all the necessary and was logical?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Guess I was asking if the format of my paperwork included all the necessary and was logical?
    Yes it does!

I always try to give general answers which include more information than just yes or no because others might get help from them.

I wasn't for one moment saying you didn't know where to get information for obs from - but others who read this thread might not.

Apologies if I have offended

Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    They look good - very similar to how I work.

The obs can be something you see / hear or something the child says or something from the parents / other setting.

Just re-read this and realised I took it completely the wrong way the first time I read it I thought you were saying my next steps were to sort out the individual planning rather than confirming that the next steps are the individual plan!!

One last question (for the moment anyway!!) The ideas in the next steps, do they need writing down else where - for example a "planning" heading or are they ok just as next steps which I will then base planning around - IYSWIM??

Thank you

PS Not offended at all ......just very grateful for the words of wisdom on here

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's ok! It's very easy to misinterpret written words when you cannot see the smile behind them.

I would say they are fine as next steps written down on your sheet.

Then every so often I re-visit some of them and note they have been followed through.

For example...

Obs - X rides a bike and is pushing along with his feet

Next steps - support and show X how to use the pedals

Weeks go by... photo of X using the pedals on his bike! Wow X you are using the pedals now and look at you go!

Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much!!! Maybe I can relax a little now and enjoy having little one around rather than constantly be wondering if paperwork is ok!