Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Colours????

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Colours????

Can I ask for some advice please I have a mindee who will be 3 in a few weeks. He is not very good with colours everything he says is either blue or pink. I tried to do a yellow day today we painted using yellow paint talked about yellow fruit, wore yellow clothes. Just before he went home I picked up a banana and asked him what colour it was and he said blue.

Can anyone offer any advice or activities I can do to help him? How can I write this up in his lj without sounding negative

Also he wanted to get into a dolls double buggy today- I spent ages explaining how he was to big and showing him the size difference compared to the big double buggy. Explaining how it was not very strong and he still said but its a buggy and asked if we could go to soft play in it tomorrow. Then he tried to climb inside a toy aeroplane literally- I again explained he was to big and it would break he just looked at me bewildered- do I write this up in an ob? What would I say- has anyone else had this before???
    Now the fun begins

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Colours????

the colours issue is not uncommon with some children - they just don't have that level of interest.

Games as simple as colours of paper on the floor and a 'run to a blue square' can be fun or games like hullaballo so the pressures off colours specifically. This game says run to an animal, run to a food, run to an instrument run to a blue xxx.

Other than that perseverence when you are out. If he points something out, repeat back 'oh you mean the blue xxxx'. I had a mindee who found it really hard with colours and shapes so when we were walking we played a game on the pavement. walk and stop at the next blue car and she would follow the other mindee but slowly did sstart picking them up. Flowers, door colours etc all helps.

Not sure about the other issues. Think it might equally be an overactive role-play imagination (actually wanting to use the 'toy' things) as it could be a lack of perception or understanding. I would keep an eye on that one and see if you can determine which it is.

Pipsqueak Guest

to my son number 1 - EVERYTHING was blue, to son number 2 EVERYTHNG was pink and son number 3 - who the heck cared cuz he didn't!!!! lol

don't forget things need to be repeated over a period of time, so just because you have done a yellow day you might need to reinforce this over the next few days but not constantly but casually - oooh look at the that yellow car, shall we have a yellow banana etc.
    Children need time to process information and often it needs repeating several times before the neural connection is made.

Its a matter of repetition in as many creative and concrete ways as possible - often boring for us (and if the child is showing signs of boredom - back off or get even more sneaky - ahem sorry creative lol).

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

very intersting thread thanks, my ds1 is 3 and he is the same. every thing is blue and red!
    he does notice the difference as he lines all the colours up of his toy cars.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Think it must be a boy thing - my daughter knew all the colours so early, but my son - well I told the health visitor that he might be colour blind as he just couldn't grasp the concept!! She suggested using Smarties and getting him to sort the colours into piles, she thought he would be more interested if he knew he could eat them after! Funny sort of suggestion from a health visitor I know, but he did like the game! (And so did I, yum)

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I remember when my daughter was little she didn't seem to be getting the hang of colours (I concentrated on red, yellow, blue and green). One day we were walking along and she said brown horse which amazed me as I thought I hadn't been mentioning brown. I thinks sometimes we try too hard!

Cx

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

to my mindee everything is black.....
    Dust its Fairy Dust

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by babs View Post
    to my mindee everything is black.....
    To my mindee everything was green but after almost a year he seems to know them all now Now for the letters of his name.

Carol xx

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

A good fun game, is to get a bag of those ball pond balls, tip them out on the floor and get the children to run around collecting certain colours. They love it and you can sit on the sofa with a cuppa, giving them instructions, and rest for 5 mins whils they are still learning