Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Help!

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help!

I have got my first mindee coming on Wednesday for their first day and Im still a little unclear about a few things.

should I start my observations immediatley? or do I let them settle in first?

I have started working on my year planner of activities for every month, and found some of your threads really helpful.

The lo I am looking after is 2 yrs old so not sure what would be best as far as activities and planning are concerned.

I was planning on completeting an obs sheet for the 6 learning areas once a week per child, does this sound about right?

many thanks

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Help!

Quote Originally Posted by mississmoomoo View Post
    I have got my first mindee coming on Wednesday for their first day and Im still a little unclear about a few things.

should I start my observations immediatley? or do I let them settle in first?

Your obs start before the child starts - when you are asking parents for information about them and finding out what they enjoy doing at home.

Then follow that up with a series of brief starting points obs where you just watch and listen and see what the child wants to do / how much input they need / what resources they ignore or don't know how to use / what they say / how they play with other children etc etc...

I have started working on my year planner of activities for every month, and found some of your threads really helpful.

That will be really useful when the child is getting towards age 3 and needing some extra stimulation and ideas for play. Until then focus on child-led play and enhancing that.

The lo I am looking after is 2 yrs old so not sure what would be best as far as activities and planning are concerned.

Things the child understands - birthdays, family religious festivals with appropriate activities, cooking, helping you around the house, playing in the tent, chalking on the patio, outings etc... Normal child friendly activities.

I was planning on completeting an obs sheet for the 6 learning areas once a week per child, does this sound about right?

Sounds a lot to me! Remembering I have part timers, I aim to complete something for each area of l & d once a month.

You have a year to watch a child move through an age range of the Eyfs - don't try to do it all in a couple of weeks!!

many thanks
    Hope this helps!

Aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help!

Thanks Sarah, thats really helpful
    Im really looking forward to my first day, they came this morning for an hour to get used to coming and Im really looking forward to starting.