Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Observation Sheets

I've attached my first observation sheet (I think I've attached it...) but I don't think I've written enough on it. Plus, the boxes at the botton, do I just tick which I think applies or write why they apply? And is it set out well?

Can someone help me fill it out as my first one as an example (it's not actually an observation, the child is my son so not confidentuality issues or anytihng) So I can put it in the front of my folder as an example of how my work will look.

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ''We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.''

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Observation Sheets

Aww what a sweetie! Isn't he doing well!

That all looks fine... not a lot more you can say really and the next steps are appropriate.

The link is to Physical development - have a look in the ages and stages lists at the back of the eyfs guidance for wording.

One note of caution - it's a big photo and you are using 3 pieces of paper... if you get 3 or 4 Eyfs children on your books, that's a lot of printing costs etc.

Lovely !

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I really do have to read that book don't I... And stick the silly cards up for memory... argh.

I only intend on having one mindee, maybe two part timers at a push. I'm far too lazy for any more than that!

So should I just tick which box the observation applies to?
    ''We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.''

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nah, Ofsted don't like ticks.

Read the guidance and find the relevant link!

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so thick. I was looking at the themes and commitments, then looking at my little table and wondering why they don't match up... but actually they do but only to one part of it. I really need to sit down and read ALL of the EYFS stuff, not just bits and bobs.

But I am still not exactly sure what I should write in the PD box. Lol. Guess I should get reading.

Thanks.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Get the guidance to the Eyfs book. It's got tables at the back all different colours.

Tear the pages apart and hole punch them.

Put them in a folder so you can open them right up / flick through etc... saves time in the long run.

See how they are laid out... psed, cll, psr&n, kuw, pd, cd...

Then within each section they are set out different categories... to follow your example, physical development has 3 - movement and space, health and bodily awareness and using equipment and materials... then each one of those is set out by age...

Figure out by reading some of the statements what age the child is working to... I imagine your little sweetie is birth to 11 months.

Then work out which section the observation fits in with ... in this case it is movement and space because you are talking about him moving around and exploring.

Look at some of the movement and space comments for his age... make movements with arms and legs which gradually become more controlled / use movement and sensory exploration to link up wiht hteir immediate environment... he's achieving both and you can put either in your little box.

There are then sections which give you examples of what you can do next and how you can resource your environment to support his development...

I am looking at the Eyfs practice guidance page 94.

The more you do it, the more it will make sense. Don't be so hard on yourself ... it's tough to start with!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Sara View Post
    I've attached my first observation sheet (I think I've attached it...) but I don't think I've written enough on it. Plus, the boxes at the botton, do I just tick which I think applies or write why they apply? And is it set out well?

Can someone help me fill it out as my first one as an example (it's not actually an observation, the child is my son so not confidentuality issues or anytihng) So I can put it in the front of my folder as an example of how my work will look.

Thanks.
    Well done thats great

I would also make your pic smaller

Have fun

Angel xx

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think as he is actually moving from the place which he is put to get to the toys that are around him doesn't this put him in the 8-20 months bit? ''make strong and purposeful movements, often moving from the position in which they are placed'' and ''using their increasing mobility to connect with toys, objects and people''. Can I put that in the PD box on my sheet even though he's not 8 months yet?or should I put birth - 11 months AND 8-20 months? I think alot of children will fit into more than one catagory so it must be ok to put both, right?

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I've attached an updated copy of this observation sheet. Is there anything else I can do to make it better? As it's going to be my base for all the rest I want it to be the best it possibly can be!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Feb 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Get the guidance to the Eyfs book. It's got tables at the back all different colours.

Tear the pages apart and hole punch them.

Put them in a folder so you can open them right up / flick through etc... saves time in the long run.

See how they are laid out... psed, cll, psr&n, kuw, pd, cd...

Then within each section they are set out different categories... to follow your example, physical development has 3 - movement and space, health and bodily awareness and using equipment and materials... then each one of those is set out by age...

Figure out by reading some of the statements what age the child is working to... I imagine your little sweetie is birth to 11 months.

Then work out which section the observation fits in with ... in this case it is movement and space because you are talking about him moving around and exploring.

Look at some of the movement and space comments for his age... make movements with arms and legs which gradually become more controlled / use movement and sensory exploration to link up wiht hteir immediate environment... he's achieving both and you can put either in your little box.

There are then sections which give you examples of what you can do next and how you can resource your environment to support his development...

I am looking at the Eyfs practice guidance page 94.

The more you do it, the more it will make sense. Don't be so hard on yourself ... it's tough to start with!

This information has helped me such alot i'm so grateful I have been trying to work out the EYFS for a while now. I end up with all the books spread out all over the place and getting really annoyed with myself, Thank you so much

Jan 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done sarah that is the best explanation i have ever heard

also rather than taking the pages out of the book you can (as i have) print off all areas linked to each child and age group and keep with childs file,
    then i printed off the planning and resourcing as this is our next steps bit too,

i was told to COPY the exact words as they are printed (i thought that was sort of cheeting but its what is required)

As for the lay out of your obs sheet its very nice but may i suggest the childs information not take up half an A4 and that the Date, childs name and age could take up just one line.? just an idea there are other obs sheets on the forum you could look at but yours is very nice too.

well done xxx

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a silly question but are we only suppose to be observing the 'six areas of learning and development' or all of the 'themes and commitments'?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Sara View Post
    Sounds like a silly question but are we only suppose to be observing the 'six areas of learning and development' or all of the 'themes and commitments'?
    You observe and plan for children's learning and development using the 6 areas - psed, cll, psr&h, kuw, pd, cd.

You plan your whole childminding practice to make sure you have taken into consideration all 16 Principles.

So you make sure you are treating each child as unique, you provide an enabling environment and you ensure positive relationships... those things should be in place before a child sets foot through your door.

Hth

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

So all of my policies and procedures should cover the '16 themes and commitments' and my planning and observations are of the '6 areas of development'.

I kind of though that but wasn't sure... like most of this EYFS stuff! Lol.

Without this forum I think I may have just handed in my application already then fallen flat on my face at the first inspection because the help from the development team and the first few courses give you ****** all.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

that is very cleaver my darling sister my obs are not that great or organized big improvment from mine.

thinks you might be getting that outstanding on your first inspection if you keep this up just like me.

goes well for our pre school if we ever get it off the ground!!!!

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well as you know Big Sister, I have to do the very best!

As they say, 'shoot for the moon and Mars, even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars'.

(I don't actually expect outstanding on the first inspection as I've heard alot of the inspectors don't think at a first inspection you could have enough experiance etc. But we can try can't we?)

x x x

OCT 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sarahs got it exactly right follow her advice

Allie

Jan '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou Ladies again for your expertise!!!

Without you all I wouldnt have a clue xxxxx