Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    JUN 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How many activities per day for 2 year olds

Hiya,

I started last week and this week im actually planning the theme "about me" and activities. Ive planned 2 activities per day. I have my own daughter and a boy who are just 2. Their vocab isnt there yet but they are starting to be able to show me what they want to do. Some of my activities may last a little while (creating paper plate faces) and others like expressions (using faces on sticks and a song) may be very short.

The rest of the day focuses on a 2 hour nap, feeding and things they like to do like outdoor ball play, water play and singing. Singing about the body is also an activitiy this week too. Im trying to expand on their loves but also find out what else they may love and also do my initial observations on the boy. How long should I spend with initial observation? His mum still hasnt given me the paperwork back on his questionnaire so I must bug her for that!!!!

Does this sound ok? When term starts next week I am going to plan more outings (when its cheap) and toddler groups. We go to the park already.
    I want to roll with this theme for three weeks or so depending on how they go and then I will probably move onto Autumn.

Thanks!!!!

Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mathremuk View Post
    Hiya,

I started last week and this week im actually planning the theme "about me" and activities. Ive planned 2 activities per day. I have my own daughter and a boy who are just 2. Their vocab isnt there yet but they are starting to be able to show me what they want to do. Some of my activities may last a little while (creating paper plate faces) and others like expressions (using faces on sticks and a song) may be very short.

The rest of the day focuses on a 2 hour nap, feeding and things they like to do like outdoor ball play, water play and singing. Singing about the body is also an activitiy this week too. Im trying to expand on their loves but also find out what else they may love and also do my initial observations on the boy. How long should I spend with initial observation? His mum still hasnt given me the paperwork back on his questionnaire so I must bug her for that!!!!

Does this sound ok? When term starts next week I am going to plan more outings (when its cheap) and toddler groups. We go to the park already.
    I want to roll with this theme for three weeks or so depending on how they go and then I will probably move onto Autumn.

Thanks!!!!
    It sounds like you are doing fine. When I started I planned more activities in advance than I do now. It made me feel more confident that I was covering all the areas of learning. I also find planned activities work better for some children than others. I often set up the play area with things that link to next steps e.g. a treasure basket and let the kids discover on their own. Another child I have (3 yo) has a long attention span fir adult led activities. Also lots of learning goes on with the daily routine fur example we count steps, talk about why we wash our hands.

With my initial observations I spent the first couple of weeks writing lots of notes about what the child was doing and enjoyed so I could work out where they were fur each area of learning. Then planned activities based on that.

Good luck!

JUN 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh thank you!!

I must do a treasure basket. I keep meaning to.

Im really enjoying it but the planning seems to take me ages. Im trying to make a folder for each theme as i go so next time i visit it i have loads of ideas.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a word on outings - don't think you have to spend money!

Some of the free things we do regularly are:
    Several local parks
    playgrounds
    several woods
    pet shop
    national trust place (with stream for paddling and often themed activity days for free)
    sure start playgroup
    vicarage gardens
    garden centre with fish shop/aquarium
    walks around the streets to see what we can see - puddles/lost teddies/lost shoes, squirrels, workmen...
    watching trains from the railway bridge
    duck pond
    local fruit and veg shop (with pictoral shopping lists)
    post office

The list goes on. I have hardly ever spent money on outings - save them for when it is just you and your own child. Get to know your own area and which places do free events - we did some brilliant events at Waterstones a couple of years ago. x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Individual planning is the most important - following on from the things the child can do and might enjoy doing next or to consolidate / practice something.

Other planning can be useful to complement individual - to teach children about the world around them and to help them learn new things.

There is no requirement to complete forms or write things up relating to group planning but you need a way of sharing your activities with parents, suggesting ideas home learning and demonstrating to Ofsted that you are teaching children across the curriculum...

We plan a couple of activities per child per day - that's how we work and it works for us. You need to find a rhythm that works for you - make sure you are flexible!

JUN 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all those free ideas Maza!!!

Thanks Sarah. Definitely need to be flexible!!

7. Likes Maza, sarah707 liked this post