Written obs - are they necessary?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Written obs - are they necessary?

I'm rethinking my learning journeys (again!) trying to reduce the workload. I realised that I do lots of written observations, but never use them in my assessment or planning for the children - I assess the child based on my knowledge of them and plan activities the same way. So... are written observations necessary? Apart from using them for assessment and planning, why do you write down observations and who for - parents, other settings, ofsted, yourself?

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have recently started using Tapestry but I use it as an online daily diary detailing what each child has enjoyed doing and adding some photos. It means I can use it for the parents to view every day but it also acts as each childs LJ. I periodically do an assessment on it and can add specific obs or wow moments when they happen. It is so quick and easy to use, I have it on my laptop and also on my phone so can add things as and when. I no longer have any paperwork on children to do as I can do everything online now. Honestly is has saved me so much time and everything is completely up to date as I use it every day. I have never done any written planning. As long as you can prove to Ofsted that you know each child well, where they are up to and what you are planning to extend their learning then I can't see a problem.

xxx

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

A observation should be meaningful why on earth would anyone do realms of writing just for ofsted it it's expected or 'they' say you should (whoever they may be)
    In my experience parents like photographs way more than formal written observations with links to development milestones that for the great majority they don't understand nor are they concerned about them.
    Yes we need to monitor children's development and plan for their individual needs both caring and educational, most people choose a Lj but nowhere does it state it's compulsory.
    I like learning journals they are great to share with parents and children and make a great keep sake for the family when they leave your care. However many of us over do them, a couple of summers ago I decided to cut back the paperwork workload, I ask myself why am I doing this obs, is it because it will help me focus what I offer to the child, will it help the parent to focus on what they offer their child or is it just a nice photo?(in this case I don't make links just add the photo) o
    Into longer consider am I doing it for ofsted because I feel it serves no purpose to do observations purely to impress ofsted.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is a requirement of the Eyfs to observe, assess and individually plan for each child - there is nothing to say that the observations have to be long or detailed they can be a few lines to say what the child is doing / saying