Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default In a muddle over starting points.....

ok so I have a new child starting next week who has come from another childminding setting. I have been given a brilliant assessment from them which shows where they think the child is in terms of his development in all areas.

should I use these as my starting points and mark them off on the child's EYO?

what if I don't necessarily agree with those (after obviously observing him for some time)?

how would I incorporate the parents views on what he can achieve too?

I'm in a muddle as I feel as if I'm going to have 3 sets of different starting points

i'm overthinking this I'm sure so i'm hoping somebody can put me right

many thanks xxx

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You will have 3 sources of input to create your own ONE set of starting points.
    Your obs + parent input + previous setting's input = your own starting points document for this child. It is where they are starting at the point they start with you.

They all should pretty much agree with each other. Not much reason for them not to? So think positive and be glad of so much info coming to you! It could make it easier for you and give you a good idea of what the child can do.

3. Likes sarah707, joannetalbot liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think it would be great to have 3 different starting points - what a brilliant way of showing 'working in partnership'

5. Likes joannetalbot liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I'd get three highlighter pens and highlight the areas with a different colour representing each persons assessment on this child as the starting points. Any that you can't agree with because you haven't seen yourself you can work on to re build this skill.often it's the change that causes a child not to do something they have done regularly somewhere else and time alone will sort it out.

7. Likes joannetalbot liked this post
    Oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    You will have 3 sources of input to create your own ONE set of starting points.
    Your obs + parent input + previous setting's input = your own starting points document for this child. It is where they are starting at the point they start with you.

They all should pretty much agree with each other. Not much reason for them not to? So think positive and be glad of so much info coming to you! It could make it easier for you and give you a good idea of what the child can do.
    Thank you Moggy I didn't mean to appear negative of having so much info, it was just confusing me of the best way to tackle information overload

xxx

Oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I think it would be great to have 3 different starting points - what a brilliant way of showing 'working in partnership'
    Yes it's lovely and makes a nice change

Oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    I think I'd get three highlighter pens and highlight the areas with a different colour representing each persons assessment on this child as the starting points. Any that you can't agree with because you haven't seen yourself you can work on to re build this skill.often it's the change that causes a child not to do something they have done regularly somewhere else and time alone will sort it out.
    thanks blue bear that's a great way of tackling it