Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How many "Next Steps".......

.....do you have on the go at any one time and are working towards with a child? Do you have a next steps for every area of the EYFS and work through them bit by bit or do you just have 1 next step, work on that for a while before moving onto another next step in another area. Not sure if that make sense

when we had our network my co-ordinator was adamant that my planning sheet should have a next steps in every area for every child. when you only have a child for 2 days a week it can sometimes take forever to work through that many next steps so I was curious to know how many next steps you guys have on the go at any one time.

thank you

jo xxx

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of my children are part time (1, 2 or 3 days a week) - I do have a list of next steps for each area of learning for each of them, some of them are from the Tapestry suggested next steps and some of them are my own tiny (pretty obvious) next steps but if it keeps network co-ordinators happy who cares! A tiny next step could be - child can do a 4 piece puzzle - next steps 6 piece puzzle. I don't do much written planning, it's all in my head that way if it's a sunny day and I decide to go out then I haven't wasted my time - refer your network co-ordinator to the new inspection guidance where it says something like "planning doesn't have to be written down, but if it is the inspector will look at it".

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 levels of next steps- I write a brief and often simple next step directly on an Obs, if it is obvious and relevant.

I make a termly sheet of next steps per child which cover all 3 prime areas (I have 1-2 year olds), about 4 next steps per Area, and maybe a few from the Specific areas. These are taken from the Tapestry auto-generated list, some adapted from there and some of my own.

I don't do written planning in terms of 'we will play with xx today'- I do that in my head and as we go along. But I can just refer to that list if I want to think about what to do each day or what to be looking for.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We have next steps linked to the prime areas for each child ... Sarah's Blog: Developmentally appropriate next steps - early years

Then a few more general next steps across the areas of learning.

Next steps are the child's individual planning and sometimes they don't work out as planned and we have to look at other areas of learning. Everything is flexible when children are involved

5. Likes joannetalbot, hectors house liked this post
    Oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Most of my children are part time (1, 2 or 3 days a week) - I do have a list of next steps for each area of learning for each of them, some of them are from the Tapestry suggested next steps and some of them are my own tiny (pretty obvious) next steps but if it keeps network co-ordinators happy who cares! A tiny next step could be - child can do a 4 piece puzzle - next steps 6 piece puzzle. I don't do much written planning, it's all in my head that way if it's a sunny day and I decide to go out then I haven't wasted my time - refer your network co-ordinator to the new inspection guidance where it says something like "planning doesn't have to be written down, but if it is the inspector will look at it".
    I will thank you HH Great to know how you tackle your next steps!

xxx

7. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    We have next steps linked to the prime areas for each child ... Sarah's Blog: Developmentally appropriate next steps - early years

Then a few more general next steps across the areas of learning.

Next steps are the child's individual planning and sometimes they don't work out as planned and we have to look at other areas of learning. Everything is flexible when children are involved
    Thank you Sarah your blog was really helpful