Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 11 mth old

Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 11 mth old

I have an 11 mth old baby who's been with me for several months now. I am finding that baby can do certain things but am sure they are lazy with certain things and parents agree. baby will sit and scream until they get their own way or attention. I've asked if parents jump at this (as they are 2nd child) and they say no. However, I'm finding them hard work because if they're not getting 100% attention or everything done for them they scream with anger and frustration. Baby has rolled front to back for a few months but now when they do it it's like a thud on the floor like they've been dropped from a height. If they roll onto their back they would lay there for as long as they were happy then scream to be picked up with no effort whatsoever to move. I encouraged them to roll back to front last week and when they were on the front, because they weren't in the position they wanted to be they screamed so I walked away. They have started crawling with lots of tantrums and screaming because of me trying to encourage them. They will also feed themselves and use a sippy cup, however, when it comes to a drink of milk from a bottle (even with handles) they make no effort to hold the bottle and scream until everything is done for them. I've had a younger baby start 3 weeks ago and the physical development is far more advanced. I know they all develop at different rates but first baby is extremely demanding and drives me crazy!

Any suggestions? I've seriously never come across a child with such anger, frustration and tantrums at 11 months old. I'm not concerned about the development as I've witnessed lots of things, I believe it really is pure laziness.
    Last edited by Merlot; 08-06-2015 at 08:08 PM.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

no advice, just sympathy!

I mind 2 x 13mth olds ... the younger of the two is fiercely independent and the other is the total opposite! ( and cries! )

3. Likes Merlot liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

My kids were never like this and I've never known any mindees like it. Bizarre!!

Post Thanks / Like

I know children can be completely different in when and how they developed but I'd be logging my concerns and speaking with mum and health visitor. From what you shared it makes me wonder if this child is in some sort of pain from physical movement? Just a thought xx

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It does sound to me like mum and dad jump to his every tantrum. I know they might say they don't but we all know that they don't always tell us the truth. I had a baby who wouldn't let me leave him, not even to sit on the floor next to me. He spent all day screaming. When I asked mum she blamed dad for always picking him up. hmmm, dad is out at work all day and you mum are the one who's been at home with him all day on maternity leave, I think you are not telling me the truth.
    It's so draining. You need to decide if you can work on him to enable him to learn some independence or whether your nerves are shattered.

xxx

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    It does sound to me like mum and dad jump to his every tantrum. I know they might say they don't but we all know that they don't always tell us the truth. I had a baby who wouldn't let me leave him, not even to sit on the floor next to me. He spent all day screaming. When I asked mum she blamed dad for always picking him up. hmmm, dad is out at work all day and you mum are the one who's been at home with him all day on maternity leave, I think you are not telling me the truth.
    It's so draining. You need to decide if you can work on him to enable him to learn some independence or whether your nerves are shattered.

xxx
    I had one like this in my early, naiive days, when I had just started minding. He was at his happiest in a baby swing in the garden, where he enjoyed being rocked for ages until he virtually fell asleep. Then it was a quick put down in the cot (but only when his eyes were virtually shut). Then I could give some proper attention to the other children. (What was I thinking??)

He was much happier in the afternoons, thankfully.

I resigned him after a while, as when he didn't get his own way, he was a really aggressive child and would scratch, bite, nip me - with full force. Not nice for the other children to see, and horrid for me. (I don't give up easily, but I couldn't even get to the end of the settling in period with him. Sometimes, if it's not a positive environment for ALL of the children, maybe it's time to call it a day?)

All the best,

L