First time following eyfs am i doing it right ?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    june 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First time following eyfs am i doing it right ?

Hi All have just had a 6 month old baby start with me who belong to my friend. So far shes been with me for 4 weeks. I got mum to fill out a information sheet all about baby including routines and then went through the eyfs outcomes with her and marked off what mum thought she can do . Iv watched baby over the last for weeks and taken photos of her doing different activities i have done with her .i have added in my folder moments pages where i hve jotted down different new things i have seen the baby do . iv jotted roughly in a book things she had done ie got up on all fours and tried to crawl , said nan nan nan and that was the first time id headr say it. i have used my photos and rough notes to mark off on the yo what she has done with me and obviously you can see developement I see this child once a week at my setting but i see her out of the setting and i know since she came with me last she has started to crawl. This is going to be what im going to do a obvs on tomorrow as i have bought some sensory balls to help the crawling. Does this sound ok ? How many obvs should i do per month ? Thanks xx

Post Thanks / Like

It all sounds good to me, as this is similar to what I do with the 2 babies I look after, although I've only been registered 5 months (awaiting inspection) so I'm hoping and praying I'm doing it right :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
    It all sounds good to me, as this is similar to what I do with the 2 babies I look after, although I've only been registered 5 months (awaiting inspection) so I'm hoping and praying I'm doing it right :-)
    Hiya,

Im waiting for my dbs check. Once that's done ill be applying to become registered, I thought you had an inspection before registration? How do you get registered otherwise?

Many thanks

Nik

4. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

An Ofsted inspector comes out to check the safety of your home, asks you about safeguarding children and what to do if a complaint is made or you have safeguarding issues how would you report it etc. They will check all your legal and compulsory documents are in order ie: First aid, pre reg certificate. You will have gone through all of the relevant ones on your pre reg course. Ask about your understanding of the EYFS and what you might do for children's activities of certain ages to show you know the 7 areas of learning.

Then if everything is ok you will be registered and receive your certificate within a few days or so.

Once you are registered you have a grading inspection around 6 to 7 months later. Although there is a thread on here today about it being any time up to 30 months of being registered.

I hope this is clearer for you.

There is a thread for pre registration on here. At the top of childminding chat forum you will see different options to read or advise about.

Good luck with it all and welcome to the forum

6. Likes nikkig liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hiya,

Thank you so much for the reply. That has made things a lot lot clearer. I have been working on the answers to possible questions that they may ask me. Its all quite nerve racking, because even though I know im more then capable I do get quite nervous in interview type situations, I know this isn't an interview but il be worried that im gonna mess it up :-(

I wasn't aware that I needed to do a pre registration course.... ahhhhh I better start looking into that now.

Nik

Quote Originally Posted by mum67 View Post
    An Ofsted inspector comes out to check the safety of your home, asks you about safeguarding children and what to do if a complaint is made or you have safeguarding issues how would you report it etc. They will check all your legal and compulsory documents are in order ie: First aid, pre reg certificate. You will have gone through all of the relevant ones on your pre reg course. Ask about your understanding of the EYFS and what you might do for children's activities of certain ages to show you know the 7 areas of learning.

Then if everything is ok you will be registered and receive your certificate within a few days or so.

Once you are registered you have a grading inspection around 6 to 7 months later. Although there is a thread on here today about it being any time up to 30 months of being registered.

I hope this is clearer for you.

There is a thread for pre registration on here. At the top of childminding chat forum you will see different options to read or advise about.

Good luck with it all and welcome to the forum

8. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi nikkig

Yes you can't be registered unless you have done the pre reg course. Your local authority will have these but they do get full up quickly on each occasion so the sooner the better you apply for one.
    There is link on here about how to become a childminder at the top of one of the sections in childminding chat. It will tell you exactly what you need to do and have in place.

I would strongly advise you to keep up with paperwork as the course progresses otherwise by the end of it you have paper everywhere or held on a computer and don't know where to start putting it all. (My experience so that's why I'm giving you a head's up on it )

If I was you I would buy a couple of cheap A4 files, about a £1 each I think they are in Asda with the back to school stuff. As you go along put the relevant paperwork into a file after each session of the course. Write on a post it and stick onto each piece of paper you are given so you know where it goes. You will be given a file on the course and asked to do a portfolio with most of the paperwork given out but they give you that much you lose track of what's what if you don't keep it organised. (like I did )

When I get a chance I will put up which files I have and what is in each and then you can do that with yours if you want to. Eventually you will make your own system to suit you, some people like one file for all and other smaller ones with certain documents in each. I prefer smaller ones and find its much quicker and easier to find what I want instead of flicking through pages (even if it is sectioned off).

You will get all sorts of different advice from people. Listen to what they all say but do what is best for you as long as you keep to the EYFS and Ofsted guidelines you will be fine. Concentrate on what you need for the pre reg visit first. Look around your home and see what needs to be in place for childrens safety, gates, fire blanket, etc. Ask friends and family for toys, prams (in safe and good condition only) you can make a wish list of what you want so if your pre reg visit comes up and you don't have everything it doesn't matter as long as you know what you need. But you must have safety things in place before you take on a child once registered.

There is everything you need and more on this site. Take yourself on a mystery tour of it (I did and it was brilliant) , click on everything and browse I promise you will be amazed at how much there is.

A word of warning. Keep to The EYFS and Ofsted documents for now until you are organised with files and understand it then start downloading and printing other stuff to compliment it or advance your knowledge for after you are registered. I got side tracked away from what was relevant for a while during my pre reg and nearly gave up because I'd printed so much off and forgot what was priority and what wasn't.

It all sounds frightening but it really isn't. I was a nervous wreck on my pre reg course but Mrs O helped me relax and I got through it they are human beings as well and understand how we feel.
    Good luck and any advice you need is all on here just ask the forum members even if you think it is silly JUST ASK and they will help you.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

nikkig
    The tab you need to click on for becoming a childminder is on the main page look in
    Childminding Chat then look down to
    General childminding chat then scroll down 4 places and you will see: Starting childminding and pre reg visits

There is also a new post today about someone who has just had their pre reg visit and how it went so worth a read for you. I think it is from Bumble I will check and come back to let you know in a minute.

Sorry it's Bundle not Bumble and it is in the same catagory as the link above so you should see it anyway.
    Last edited by mum67; 30-09-2014 at 08:46 AM.