How many observations do you do per month?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    june 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How many observations do you do per month?

Im looking after a baby for 1 day a week 10 hours at a time how many main obvs do i need to be doing? thanks

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by claire85 View Post
    Im looking after a baby for 1 day a week 10 hours at a time how many main obvs do i need to be doing? thanks
    You will need to observe the baby on the 3 Prime Areas
    Once you have noted the starting points you can plan the Next steps and observe as often as you want until you can do a summary of the progress then move on to the next steps

From Sept 2014 the summary has to be 'good quality' as in the updated Ofsted factsheet on page 10-11 which was published yesterday

Ofsted | Conducting early years inspections

July 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I do 1 mini ob per week and a learning story observation (big ob) one per month. I also do development summary every july and jan which is a summary of each area of learning and development. I highlight an eyfs tracker every term to show progress in each area.

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I make a note of anything I think is relevant to any of the areas of learning. So if I notice 3 things in a day then I note them all. I then do something planned every fortnight for a one day a weeker. I have a few one dayers and sometimes it is tricky to fit everything in, I also make a note that 'mum says x said teddy at the weekend' for example.

Post Thanks / Like

You need to be noting all significant developments, according to EYFS, so you know where 10mnth old is. This may mean you note down three things in one week, or maybe one a day. There is no real answer to that, providing you are meeting requirements of EYFS.