Help with my observations pls!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with my observations pls!

I have been childminding for a couple of months now and have obviously made several observations. I'm trying to get my head around when/if I draw a line under previous observations so a child doesn't have a great long list of them at any given time! I think part of my problem has been that I have made most of my Next Steps quite open ended - eg. more balancing and moving activities, pouring activities, opportunity to explore other mechanical toys. Over the following sessions I've taken photos and added them to the child's Learning Journey where they relate to these Next Steps ... but, for example, we've done lots of pouring activities - he loves them, he's good at them, do I some how 'tick off' the Next Step or perhaps at the end of each month I only 'carry forward' some of the Next Steps and leave behind the ones I feel we have dealt with? Should I be making my Next Steps more specific so we do an activity and are done with them?

I have also very recently made some observations relating to a child's PSED but I can't see that a Next Step is relevant. Do I still fill out an Observation and leave the Next Step blank or note it as a Wow moment - does it matter so long as I record it?

Thanks in advance x

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Not all Obs need a Next Step.
    Not all Next Steps will turn out to be relevant.
    Next Steps do not need to be followed up with photos to 'prove' them.
    It is absolutely right to have Next steps to do 'more of the same' as children need and love to repeat and repeat.

Try not to over think it, follow that child's interests and use Obs to help you note those. Keep an eye on how the child is developing and use obs to help you note that. When a Next Step comes to mind then note it and follow up if it feels right at the time.

If they still love the pouring/water then go with it, may be no need to keep noting it unless there is a new Wow moment.

'Next steps' do not need to be 'ticked off' because to not do them may be just right as to do them- things change, children do not develop in straight lines. You might say next step after xxx is yyy, but child might actually go off on another tangent that is right for that child.

Keep it simple and flexible.
    I keep things open-ended too, if you say next step is to do a very particular activity but the child decides he does not want to do that, then it was not a very useful Next Step! Vague can be good!

3. Likes loocyloo, funemnx, sarah707 liked this post
    May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Moggy, great advice I've been an Accountant for the past 12 years or so and it's difficult for me to resist the urge to have everything 'just so' - but I'm getting there