Termly Report
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Termly Report

Post Thanks / Like

Default Termly Report

I am wanting to do a termly report but not sure where to start, would anyone mind sharing one please?

Thanks

Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just do a brief summary ( couple of sentences ) of child's development and next steps in each area.
    Plus characteristics of effective learning noted.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I just do a brief summary ( couple of sentences ) of child's development and next steps in each area.
    Plus characteristics of effective learning noted.
    I do the same. Book appointment for parents to come in. Give parents an input form and collect it from them a few days before appointment, Add their input into your report- I do a separate box for general 'parent's comments' and integrate their input into my comments too. I sign, they sign, copy to them and copy in the learning journal. Basically, it is the same as the '2 year check' but I do it every term.

4. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not a school I do not need to do termly reports!

Why would we need to?

If you are doing effective Learning Journals then all the parents and you need to know about the child's development and where they are should be in that and if it is kept up to date why create more paperwork duplicating what you already have?

Also I don't work in terms for most of my children because they attend all year round and don't attend school yet so again why would I do a Termly Report.

Just saying because I see so many cm's complaining about the amount of paperwork they have to do and then they create unnecessary work for themselves.

My Learning Journals are a Daily Diary as well so they go back and forth on a daily basis. My parents write in them. make comments and write notes and send messages as I do. It is very much a working document.

I have never had meetings with parents to discuss development unless I have a concern. I spend enough of my 'free' time doing stuff for my childminding business without adding termly Reports and meetings with parents to it. I am a Childcarer NOT a School !!!!!
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 24-06-2014 at 02:22 PM.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I am not a school I do not need to do termly reports!

Why would we need to?

If you are doing effective Learning Journals then all the parents and you need to know about the child's development and where they are should be in that and if it is kept up to date why create more paperwork duplicating what you already have?

Also I don't work in terms for most of my children because they attend all year round and don't attend school yet so again why would I do a Termly Report.

Just saying because I see so many cm's complaining about the amount of paperwork they have to do and then they create unnecessary work for themselves.
    I agree ...

But I do it every 6 mths or so as a very brief summary for when I meet with parents. My parents like it and it's useful for me to have. Esp. when meeting with other settings/professionals involved with the children x

7. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I agree ...

But I do it every 6 mths or so as a very brief summary for when I meet with parents. My parents like it and it's useful for me to have. Esp. when meeting with other settings/professionals involved with the children x
    I might do it if parents were meeting with other professionals and needed a summary. I don't regularly meet with them though I see them every day their child is with me and discuss how the day has gone and how the child is getting on. I refuse to spend more time on a separate school like meeting. I'm sure parents time is precious and I hear the moans at having to go to parents evenings so I can't see them wanting a formal meeting with me in an evening!

9. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do a 6 monthly summative assessment - I followed Sarah Neville's advice and to spread them out throughout the year I do one near child's birthday and then another one 6 months later - this works in well with 2 year check as I do one report for when child is 2 years old and then do a proper 2 year check at 2 years 6 months which is when we were told HV were doing their checks - this way if the report is brought forward at least I have something for parents to show.

Now I am using Tapestry on-line journals - I just press a tab titled "Snapshots" and it gives me a breakdown of all areas of EYO and sub headings, what age child is at and whether Emerging, Developing or Secure, so parents can have a report every month if they want! It is completely up to date as it's based on the information I input on my observations.

I only have a proper meeting with parents for 2 year check though unless when they have had a chance to read through the Summative assessment they have any questions.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I might do it if parents were meeting with other professionals and needed a summary. I don't regularly meet with them though I see them every day their child is with me and discuss how the day has gone and how the child is getting on. I refuse to spend more time on a separate school like meeting. I'm sure parents time is precious and I hear the moans at having to go to parents evenings so I can't see them wanting a formal meeting with me in an evening!
    I don't see all my parents on a regular basis! quite a few of my children come with grandparents/ other family! we do chat and exchange information by text/phone & email, but its nice to catch up and have a chat without the children - most of the time we don't talk about the children!

12. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Simona Guest

My understanding of the EYFS requirement of 'working in partnership with parents' is not how often we do assessment...that is up to us based on the next steps and achievements, or concerns if we have any......or how we exchange information on progress but having parents' feedback ...which I believe inspectors look at...so it is important to get that in writing in the LJs, portfolios

Does anyone else do that?

Although we are not schools we still have to report to parents...somehow.
    My thinking, judging by what is being proposed in having links with schools in future and Ofsted opinions on parenting.... this will be the norm.

Any thoughts?

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I have review meetings every 3/6onths where parents come over, have a cuppa and look through their childs learning journey whuch includes the early learning goals, so they can see their child is making good progress. We then discuss any issues etc. During my recent inspection the inspector was very complementary about these review meetings and in my report she wrote that my ethos of working with parents as partners was exemplary so I guess from that, that Ofsted like it. I have always done it thus way and all the parents live the chance to go through the ljs and have a chat. X
    If all else fails......add glitter!

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Please excuse the spelling in my last post im doing this on my phone and my fingers are too big lol
    If all else fails......add glitter!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by silvermist View Post
    I have review meetings every 3/6onths where parents come over, have a cuppa and look through their childs learning journey whuch includes the early learning goals, so they can see their child is making good progress. We then discuss any issues etc. During my recent inspection the inspector was very complementary about these review meetings and in my report she wrote that my ethos of working with parents as partners was exemplary so I guess from that, that Ofsted like it. I have always done it thus way and all the parents live the chance to go through the ljs and have a chat. X
    I think that what you do goes hand in hand with Ofsted requirements and those are well defined in the inspection 'report template' which the inspector uses for judging and grading

Page 6 of this document does says 'consistency of assessments' and how the setting works in partnership with parents
    That is how I read it as well

17. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I might leave it then, i've done the 2 year development check and track where he's at. Recently had my inspection and she didn't mention it but thought i'd give one a go but as rickysmiths said its more paperwork!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmaggy View Post
    I think I might leave it then, i've done the 2 year development check and track where he's at. Recently had my inspection and she didn't mention it but thought i'd give one a go but as rickysmiths said its more paperwork!
    Once we have done the 2 year old check and the children are 3...they move to the next stage where the Specific Areas come is as well...so you add the 4 to the previous 3

All 7 areas link and I believe that consistent assessment are required
    Up to you how often you do them but...in my view...it is not added paperwork just the requirement...as long as it is short and to the point that also prepares you for handing the children over to school with your final assessment

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Once we have done the 2 year old check and the children are 3...they move to the next stage where the Specific Areas come is as well...so you add the 4 to the previous 3

All 7 areas link and I believe that consistent assessment are required
    Up to you how often you do them but...in my view...it is not added paperwork just the requirement...as long as it is short and to the point that also prepares you for handing the children over to school with your final assessment
    I always add a brief summary of the Specific areas even in my 2 year check, it may not be required but there are EYFS statements for most areas.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I always add a brief summary of the Specific areas even in my 2 year check, it may not be required but there are EYFS statements for most areas.
    Yes...I do as well where relevant or keep them as my starting points for later assessments