Observations, Next Steps, Feedback ...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Observations, Next Steps, Feedback ...

I'm new so please bear with me

I'll use a particular example but my question is a general one too:

D is almost 2 and loves pouring from one jug to another during water play. I made an observation of this and for a Next Step I thought he might enjoy a specific pouring activity. We did this today and it was very successful and my question is regarding what I do with this information - do I write up another observation and for the Next Step plan for more of the same or do I provide feedback in the form of photos and notes to my initial observation. In general would you write up observations which were different to each other - or would you do several which were along the same lines but noteworthy nonetheless?! I guess this is particularly relevant when the Next Step is to do more of the same to consolidate development in a particular area - more observations with the same Next Step or evidence behind the initial observation?

I do hope I'm making sense to somebody!

Thanks

Apr,14
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello - the question does make sense. I'm new too so have no advice, but warching for answers wirh interest

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

You can choose, yes you may feel the need to do several observations of a simililar nature (usually when I have a concern and am working on something)
    You might just add a photo of the recent activity next to the original one to show you have worked on next steps (or a written note of no photo)
    Or you may choose to write up the follow up activity as an observation but choose a different next step, so you might decide to do something simililar but having to share and work on the turn taking. You might decide to do a similar activity but use mathematical language, full, all gone, half way. You may decide to do a pouring activity but for a reason such as pouring milk onto cereals or water into drink cups...... The possibilities are endless.

In short there is no one right way, you need to do what you feel is best for your child, you know the inside out and instinctively know what to offer next it's the writing it down that most people find difficult.

4. Likes zanacal liked this post
    Simona Guest

I'm new so please bear with me

I'll use a particular example but my question is a general one too:

D is almost 2 and loves pouring from one jug to another during water play. I made an observation of this and for a Next Step I thought he might enjoy a specific pouring activity. We did this today and it was very successful and my question is regarding what I do with this information - do I write up another observation and for the Next Step plan for more of the same or do I provide feedback in the form of photos and notes to my initial observation. In general would you write up observations which were different to each other - or would you do several which were along the same lines but noteworthy nonetheless?! I guess this is particularly relevant when the Next Step is to do more of the same to consolidate development in a particular area - more observations with the same Next Step or evidence behind the initial observation?

I do hope I'm making sense to somebody!

Thanks

It sound like you were following the child's interests and chose this particular activity...you should be able to observe the PD ...pouring and fine motor skills...but also the language the child used and his attention and concentration so leading you to his CoEL....so linking all the 3 Prime Araes
    If you took a photo that will be excellent for you to add short observations of what the child was doing

Having done that you can now plan the Next Steps...

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You could one of two things:

Mark off that next step as achieved and sometimes and pop an observation next to the achieved date I write - eg Child x poured using a jug and showed good control

Or you could put achieved and a date next to th enext step and then do another observation and either do another next step following on from it or not - it is up to you. If you feel there is no more development required you do not need to do another next step....