Supporting 16mo with english
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Supporting 16mo with english

I care for a child who has been with me since dec. He is happy in my care and has settled well. English is his 2nd language and doesn't get spoke @ home. He spends 40+ hours with me per week. He says hi ya but no other words apart from the odd mimic work. I spend time giving eye contact when speaking so he knows I am talking to him and pointing and gestures ( thumps up/clapping) He is a big explorer and will not sit to read a book or take part in an activity for more that 2 seconds.

Does anyone have suggestions on what I can do to support his CL? He uses physical contact to get across what he wants which can frustrate other children. He is a intellectual child and understands a lot of what u and others say however his so speech is what I want to help him with.

Any advice much appreciated. X

Post Thanks / Like

:-)............

Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have you established whether he can communicate in his own language? Could you ask parents to tell you key words (write them out phonetically) to help with the frustration?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sing-low View Post
    Have you established whether he can communicate in his own language? Could you ask parents to tell you key words (write them out phonetically) to help with the frustration?
    I did do this as part of his settling in but was a while ago now. I think I will do it again. Do you know of any good prompts to get a child talking of this age. I am thinking that he just needs time to observe English and to pick it up. Was reading a pacey article in CL for dual language children and said to use flashcards of common items to support.....

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Could you explore makaton or sign language so that he uses it instead of physical? Or a key picture programme where he can use these to help with his communications. You can put pictures of every day communicating areas on a key ring so that it is always available to you and child, reinforce language alongside picture too.
    I once had a child from Lithuania who had no English: dad could not speak English so although mum could it was not spoken in the house or in their immediate friendship group. We worked out an individual learning plan which included mum talking to him and reinforcing key words that would help him interact with his peers.
    He picked up English really quickly. We also had a computer programme - Lithuania to English, animated, enjoyable which he used at home.

Forward 5 years and we were looking forward to his brother coming to school......never thinking that he wouldn't be able to speak English either, after all the work needed with his older brother! Dad had a lot of influence, but again followed same pattern and not long before he was communicating in English.

Good luck.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would use pictures to make sure he can make himself understood - then focus on the word that goes alongside the picture.

A period of quiet and listening is usual - he'll be taking it in

7. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Could you explore makaton or sign language so that he uses it instead of physical? Or a key picture programme where he can use these to help with his communications. You can put pictures of every day communicating areas on a key ring so that it is always available to you and child, reinforce language alongside picture too. I once had a child from Lithuania who had no English: dad could not speak English so although mum could it was not spoken in the house or in their immediate friendship group. We worked out an individual learning plan which included mum talking to him and reinforcing key words that would help him interact with his peers. He picked up English really quickly. We also had a computer programme - Lithuania to English, animated, enjoyable which he used at home. Forward 5 years and we were looking forward to his brother coming to school......never thinking that he wouldn't be able to speak English either, after all the work needed with his older brother! Dad had a lot of influence, but again followed same pattern and not long before he was communicating in English. Good luck.
    FloraDora, I think key pictures is a great idea. I really want him to continue the same thing at home to support his English but not sure if this Is the correct thing to do. Will he get used to speaking two different languages here and at home or will mixing them up just make it more confusing for him? Was thinking when I do the pictures to put the English word and the home word, so you think this would help? X

Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I look after 2 children with English as second language one Czech 32 months he hardly said anything till he was 2 now then ha just spoke English then he went to stay with his gran and came back after 6 weeks only speaking Czech after being back here started speaking English as before now he speaks Czech at home and only English here
    19 month old little girl is polish she speaks short sentences in English here does say bye and yes here in both and polish and some English at home
    As with all children they learn at their pace
    It great to see how well they learn both languages
    Just keep talking singing stories the language will come
    Angela x
    Owner of a static holiday caravan in Paignton

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I always think the duel language in words to label the picture looks good- but really doesn't matter if the child can't read yet.

It may be that the reason his English is not so good is because his family are not fluent so if you both have the same pictures then that would help you to learn his language and family to reinforce English....so yes I think it would be good on reflection. The child will just see the two ( perhaps in different colours ) as words in print, even though he wont be able to read them, but the adults will be progressing with him. I always think it is good to try to master a splattering of the child's home language, shows you are working well with the family too and they appreciate your willingness. Saying hello in both languages helps settle the children sometimes too.

I wonder too that some labels in both languages might support as well and help you in your mastering of his language.

As regards confusion: most bilingual children grow up juggling 2 languages with no problems.

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clare83 View Post

FloraDora, I think key pictures is a great idea. I really want him to continue the same thing at home to support his English but not sure if this Is the correct thing to do. Will he get used to speaking two different languages here and at home or will mixing them up just make it more confusing for him? Was thinking when I do the pictures to put the English word and the home word, so you think this would help? X
    Went on a course about this recently. It's really important that he speaks his first language at home. It's fine if he only hears English while with you. Do what you would do for any child learning to talk - use pictures and body language to get your meaning across. He's only 16months, so plenty of time for him to pick things up

12. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gef918 View Post
    Went on a course about this recently. It's really important that he speaks his first language at home. It's fine if he only hears English while with you. Do what you would do for any child learning to talk - use pictures and body language to get your meaning across. He's only 16months, so plenty of time for him to pick things up
    Thank you :-)