How long to spend gathering obs for a starting point
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How long to spend gathering obs for a starting point

I am aware I need to gather observations together quickly to be able to log a child's starting point. However I only have this child age 15 months for 6 hours 1 day a week. How many hours do you think is enough to be able to record observations and starting points? Already I feel I have built up a good picture and covered a large part of the EYFS after having the lo twice. This is the first time I have ever gather obs, linked to EYFS and PLODS.
    What do you think?
    Thanks in advance

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

My starting points for a child come from their parents before they start - I get as much info as possible. I then do observations during the settling in period (4-6 weeks) mainly based around PSE (how they are settling in and forming relationships, developing confidence, etc). I don't link these to the EYFS though, they are for my planning and parents peace of mind. If a child settles quickly, I will do other observations within that settling in period if I feel that I am seeing the 'true child'. Once parents and I agree that the observations I am making are consistent with what they know about their child, I start linking them to the EYFS.

3. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do an initial assessment when they start with me, using parents info and general obs from the settling in sessions and first few sessions ....then I work from there, usually starting with next steps being establishing routine and security here etc

nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

i also get my starting points from parents, i get them to fill in a form i have and use this as childrens starting points and work from there

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
    I am aware I need to gather observations together quickly to be able to log a child's starting point. However I only have this child age 15 months for 6 hours 1 day a week. How many hours do you think is enough to be able to record observations and starting points? Already I feel I have built up a good picture and covered a large part of the EYFS after having the lo twice. This is the first time I have ever gather obs, linked to EYFS and PLODS.
    What do you think?
    Thanks in advance
    There are different opinions on this ...some say you need to gather very quickly while others...including my LA who I asked...say it has to take a bit of time for you to get to know the child and put next steps in place

Parents will provide invaluable information of what their children do at home and the Home Learning Environment....but we still need to look at how they settle with other children and form relationships, how they bond and attach to us, how they follow the routine, which can be a little different if we do school runs, what their transition has been like from home to us and much more including being in a small group which they may not have experienced

My personal view is 4 weeks of observations...it works for me may not work for others.... which should give a good idea on their interests and how to plan for them because by then you should know that child fairly well, share with parents and move on